Active Topics

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
I don't see any problem, I have most of this app installed too. I recomend unistalling SPEEDOMETER because you are saying that it does not work after PR1.2
Another thing, did you update MYPAINT? because I read that it causes problems after the last update. Don't know if it is true because I don't use it
jorge thank you for the reply. mypaint seems to be updated and i have not experienced issues running it as of yet. i will uninstall speedometer. i dont have any clue as to why i have so many processes running though even after i run the script. how many do you have running after you run it in your n900?

Originally Posted by sukumar View Post
I tried both optimize.sh and optimize to run command 'sudo sh optimize'. It is always asking password.

However typing 'sudo gainroot' and 'sh optimize' is working well. Not sure what is password to use 'sudo sh optimize'
Did you install ROOTSH?

Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
jorge thank you for the reply. mypaint seems to be updated and i have not experienced issues running it as of yet. i will uninstall speedometer. i dont have any clue as to why i have so many processes running though even after i run the script. how many do you have running after you run it in your n900?
The normal amount of active processes on the N900 must be about 200. Any amount higher is because you are running something aditional

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I noticed when my N900 became laggy it almost always was due to hildon-thumbnailerd running like mad. The optimize script may consider adding a line to renice hildon-thumbnailerd to 19 to make it better.

Something like
Code:
renice 19 `pgrep hildon-thumbnailerd`

Yes. I think I installed rootsh for custom ring tones. I don't know what is exactly rootsh. Is there anyway I can verify if I installed?

I don't know when, but I entered password on n900 while doing something. I guess it is installing custom ring tones.

My unix skills are rusty and did work on it long time back(AIX, Solaris). I never heard sudo command since I only used 'su'.

After researching this is what I understood. I installed rootsh for custom ring tones. So this installed 'gainroot' command in /usr/sbin. I am assuming that gainroot is same as rootsh. sudo is su+ command on same line

I don't think I ever set root password on my n900.

"sudo gainroot"
is the N900 equivalent of "su".

Need the "rootsh" package from Extras

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I noticed when my N900 became laggy it almost always was due to hildon-thumbnailerd running like mad. The optimize script may consider adding a line to renice hildon-thumbnailerd to 19 to make it better.

Something like
Code:
renice 19 `pgrep hildon-thumbnailerd`
I see your point, but, renicing processes is not part of this script because that kind of commands you have to run it only one time and you are ready to go all the way. The optimize script is not for run it one time only, it is for run it everytime you have slow downs, and adding that line is redundant. That is why I'm working in another script. Look at this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=25

The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
#!/bin/sh

echo Your Nokia N900 is being Optimized

#Refresh the Audio Process to avoid audio glitch
killall pulseaudio

#Refresh the Tracker process
killall trackerd
killall tracker-indexer

#Refresh the browser MicroB
killall browser browserd

#Refresh of the most common applications and UIs
killall Calendar
killall osso_calculator
killall camera-ui
killall rtcom-call-ui
killall modest
killall rtcom-messaging-ui
killall image-viewer
killall osso_notes
killall osso-addressbook

#Refresh the all UI Hildon, menus and bars.
killall hildon-desktop
killall hildon-status-menu
killall systemui
#NOTE: Killing the hildon-home process can erase all widgets and that is why it is disabled
#killall hildon-home

#Refresh other processes
killall tonegend
killall mafw-gst-renderer

echo Your Nokia N900 is now Optimized!

I think this is inside zip =D

The Following User Says Thank You to okhabin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki
For some reason when I have this script setup in Alarmed for a nightly run, the power button menu does not work. But if I run the script manually, the power button menu is not affected. Weird Not running the script from Alarmed anymore but sometimes using it when swapping gets out of hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaywink For This Useful Post:

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it