Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
oh heck... now I've done it.

uninstalled, located the ~/etc/privoxy location removed all of the templates, rmdir the location... now I can't install...

Code:
chown: /etc/privoxy/user.action: No such file or directory
chown: /etc/privoxy/trust: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing privoxy (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
privoxy
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
ugh. my tinkering might have caused a dilemma now.

Reboot and try again?
Also do an "apt-get update" from the command line as root with the application manager closed.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Already have rebooted, tried again... as well as apt-get update before posting about my problem with privoxy. Until I uninstalled without incident.

Oh well, I'm going to reflash it all tomorrow anyway... my install was getting a bit heavy with things I'd removed, et al.

Thanks for the help.

I don't understand all the problems? I had more problems configuring the app than installing it (especially since in the instructions it says to block an item using the "edit link under actions files... I see no "edit" only "view".)

I found it so much easier using midnight commander to edit the action file than using the internal web page or using vi.

I wish it was as easy to configure or actually use as ad-blocker and I didn't have to set the proxy for every friggin connection.

oh well.

Just to clarify and summarize:
- To run privoxy, just install it. You don't have to do anything extra to start it, and it will be started automatically if you reboot.
- To _use_ privoxy you will have to select a connection which you actually have configured. Disconnect if active, then go into control panel, connections, connections, select account, edit, next, next, next, advanced, tick 'use proxy', in HTTP-proxy set 127.0.0.1, in Port number set 8118. Optionally do the same for HTTPS. Scroll down and optionally enter some hostnames for which you want to bypass the proxy, e.g. my.own.domain.com,my.company.domain.com, enter OK

(the above is for wi-fi, the sequence of 'next, next' etc. looks a bit different for BT DUN accounts. I have privoxy set permanently for my phone, and two similar, but separate accounts for my own network where one is with privoxy and the other withouth (same ESSID but given different account names)).

If you want to use privoxy with some random hotspot you will have to add it to the configured connections and go through the above.

Finally, I use privoxy with the default setup, I haven't found a need to edit the config files. But you may at some stage want to add some extra site to block, or allow some blocked site, if so you will have to edit the config files. Better look up privoxy.org and read the online documentation at that stage.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-08-22 at 14:12.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've been a longtime Privoxy user on my PC. How well does it run on the N800? I guess what I'm asking is how much does it slow browsing down?

I thought for a moment that privoxy slows it down a little, and probably it will sometimes, but I'm not certain anymore that it's actually noticable. In other words, it works well. For some sites it definitely speeds up the experience simply because the pages are filled with rubbish that privoxy won't download.

thanks fot the tutorial...worked great

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Just to clarify and summarize:
- To run privoxy, just install it. You don't have to do anything extra to start it, and it will be started automatically if you reboot.
- To _use_ privoxy you will have to select a connection which you actually have configured. Disconnect if active, then go into control panel, connections, connections, select account, edit, next, next, next, advanced, tick 'use proxy', in HTTP-proxy set 127.0.0.1, in Port number set 8118. Optionally do the same for HTTPS. Scroll down and optionally enter some hostnames for which you want to bypass the proxy, e.g. my.own.domain.com,my.company.domain.com, enter OK

(the above is for wi-fi, the sequence of 'next, next' etc. looks a bit different for BT DUN accounts. I have privoxy set permanently for my phone, and two similar, but separate accounts for my own network where one is with privoxy and the other withouth (same ESSID but given different account names)).

If you want to use privoxy with some random hotspot you will have to add it to the configured connections and go through the above.

Finally, I use privoxy with the default setup, I haven't found a need to edit the config files. But you may at some stage want to add some extra site to block, or allow some blocked site, if so you will have to edit the config files. Better look up privoxy.org and read the online documentation at that stage.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I've found a german site with a binary and instruction that works at:
http://www.n800wiki.de/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Privoxy

Can someone please clarify which binary works on the N800 and where to get it?
The instructions from wiki (first post on this thread) specifically mentions that it's already outdated with no pointer to a more current source
TIA.

Last edited by ysss; 2007-09-23 at 18:59.