Active Topics

Originally Posted by leviathan18 View Post
you are missing the point entirely, OVI MAPS, yes we have it but it doesn't work as a navigation system

Any decent smart phone has a navigation system and it is sad that nokia in their flagship phone they don't have it specially when they own navteq and even the cheapest symbian model you can get from Nokia has a decent OVI maps.
actually nokia is the only phone MANUFACTURER that owns and supplies its own phones with maps and navigation software, a nice bonus.

the rest have to resort to third part services like google maps or pay software.

maemo is obviously not feature complete, including maps, but i am sure the maps team is working on getting maps more functional on meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This is what I've been touting ever since I got my Droid. I was abused so much by Nokia during the years I've owned Nokia stuff, that it was like a breath of fresh air to deal with Verizon (who doesn't have the greatest record of satisfying customers, mind you) and Amazon (who realy DID treat me very, very well in exactly the way you describe!).

Nokia has been an incredible lesson to me of how a company or merchant should NEVER treat customers. If I ever run a business, I'm going to absolutely keep that experience close to heart and make sure my brand stays close to my customers' hearts.

I think it also said open-source, Maemo and a few other things that may or may not be relevant. From the sound of it, the N900 will be a much better Android phone than Maemo. Aw well.
I've only owned three Nokia products (n800, some random dumb phone I got when I switched over to T-Mobile when Nokia screwed up the N900 launch, and the N900). Nokia's customer support and handling of Maemo has pretty much guaranteed I will never buy another Nokia device again. I'm hoping that other manufacturers will join in on Meego, since I love what I can do with the operating system and the hardware itself. Just not the company supporting it. At this point I'm more likely to buy an iPad from Apple than a Meego tablet from Nokia simply because I don't want to touch it if Nokia is responsible for the customer support. And that's not including the OS, or buggy software. It's just basic level hardware support!

And on the Maemo, Android note. I don't think Maemo was really ever suited to be a phone OS and I've always treated Maemo on the N900 like I did Maemo on the n800. My own personal hope (if dj_steve and everyone gets it to that point) is to use Maemo for computer operations and Android for smartphone operations.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I don't use twitter or Facebook either.

Why don't you ask him something he could answer:
In the past, many of the customer expectations and disappointments with the N900 seemed to be a result of Nokia marketing's lack of even a fundamental understanding of the Maemo OS.
I think marketing is a huge problem with the N900. It is not suited to be a consumer device. I disagree with the Step 4 of 5. It's more like Step 2 or 3 to me. They badly need to do what Ubuntu did to make Linux desktop operating systems more user friendly before they even consider trying to marketing Meego. And that's not just OS interaction, it's everything. Things that Apple has figured out from close to the get go and Google is well on their way to figure out. There's not much of an excuse not to implement it well, others have already experimented. You just have to copy and improve on it. For example, making the Ovi Store more like Microsoft's XBOX LIVE marketplace.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Twitter users just a reminder for you the propose of this thread

5 August between 6-7pm GMT (10-11am PDT, 1-2pm EDT)

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
maybe you should write in a such way that the point is clear and there are no factual mistakes in the text?

e: and you don't know how to visit www.sygic.com with your browser?
Oh sorry, you must be from Oxford University, what if we talk in Spanish, which is my mother tongue...

Why would I have to pay to Sygic for a Navigation system, look at promo videos from nokia and you can see they tout the stupid navigation for the N900, it's incoherent from them not to have a decent OVI MAPS in the N900.

Same with PBAP IrMc SyncML, they are showcasing the TERMINAL mode in a VW car and you can't use a symbian or maemo phone with their cars.

same with the GENIVI Nokia is part of thar organization and they don't support basic protocols from BT

and I've owned nokia since 1999 with the 8265, and the N900 wont be my last phone, but they should keep this crap to a minimum

The Following User Says Thank You to leviathan18 For This Useful Post:
Reading many of the questions on here, and the vast majority are quite detailed, with arguments etc - but they won't dont fit on twitter (140 chars max). I wonder if that was the reason Nokia decided to do this Q&A on twitter?!? Hmmm...

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
actually nokia is the only phone MANUFACTURER that owns and supplies its own phones with maps and navigation software, a nice bonus.

the rest have to resort to third part services like google maps or pay software.

maemo is obviously not feature complete, including maps, but i am sure the maps team is working on getting maps more functional on meego.
So what you're saying is that they should stick with what they are good at (making hardware) and use a maps app from someone who knows how to make a decent maps app?

Oh noes, google maps is sooo horrible.. (sarcasm..)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Reading many of the questions on here, and the vast majority are quite detailed, with arguments etc - but they won't dont fit on twitter (140 chars max). I wonder if that was the reason Nokia decided to do this Q&A on twitter?!? Hmmm...
Twitter is a notoriously bad vehicle for ranting. That's one advantage

@leviathan18: It's not incoherent, Ovi Maps was originally written for Symbian, it takes time until the whole thing gets rewritten with Qt for the next version, which can then be utilized on the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Sigh, my long battle not to join twitter has come to an end.
I hope this is worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Twitter is a notoriously bad vehicle for ranting. That's one advantage

@leviathan18: It's not incoherent, Ovi Maps was originally written for Symbian, it takes time until the whole thing gets rewritten with Qt for the next version, which can then be utilized on the N900.
Yes Ovi maps was written for symbian, but answer me this, how long do you think nokia took to make maemo 5 ? 1 month 3 month 6 months 9 month 1 year ?

In that time they had the resources to port a decent version of ovi maps, because everything they did was a very good job, except for OVI maps and the OVI store, but conversations is a wonderful app.

And if they were somewhat smart, since they knew their future was QT which I think they have known this for some time, they should have allocated a team to port maps to QT (for maemo, hartman now meego, symbian 3 and symbian 4)

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
My questions are no longer showing up, seems who ever is at the keyboard has blocked me.
I bet Niklas is in a different country with no computer in sight and is talking to someone on the phone who is picking the questions for him.

Last edited by jd4200; 2010-08-05 at 17:15.

Tags
oh boy here, we go again, why do birds..., worstthreadever