Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Edit: I looked it up again (I thought I had looked it up before)--there's NOTHING open about Bada. Only the development toolkit is open-source.
Weird, there should be at least SOME parts open as they claim to be using the Linux kernel in some builds, which, I'm sure they have touched in one some ways. Oh well.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
... Nokias (which at a blooming 43% OSS isn't exactly the prettiest girl in the class) ...
Hi, I would be interested in the source of that number. Never seen it before.

Thanks

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Weird, there should be at least SOME parts open as they claim to be using the Linux kernel in some builds, which, I'm sure they have touched in one some ways. Oh well.
That's just the kernel Bada sits on top of--and it doesn't necessarily have to be Linux either. Samsung HAVE written a custom RTOS for Bada to sit on top of on some devices.

From the wikipedia article:
bada, as Samsung defines it, is not an operating system, but platform with a kernel configurable architecture, which allows the use of either the Linux kernel, or another Real-time operating system (RTOS) kernel. The Linux kernel is the preferred choice for high-end smartphones, while RTOS is used for affordable smartphones, due to its smaller memory footprint.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
That's just the kernel Bada sits on top of--and it doesn't necessarily have to be Linux either. Samsung HAVE written a custom RTOS for Bada to sit on top of on some devices.
I did say "some builds" The point is there has to be some glue between the custom userspace and the kernel (plus, no vendor uses just a plain kernel - some tweaks are necessary). The bottom line being there has to be SOMETHING that is open and available, otherwise they are violating the kernel licensing.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I did say "some builds" The point is there has to be some glue between the custom userspace and the kernel (plus, no vendor uses just a plain kernel - some tweaks are necessary). The bottom line being there has to be SOMETHING that is open and available, otherwise they are violating the kernel licensing.
Yeah...the kernel itself could be open--and none of the drivers or apps have to be open. Remember that GPLv2 permitted tivoization and closed-source driver modules, and thus all they would have to open and make available is just the plain old Linux kernel.

While I'm not exactly the most technical-minded in terms of development, this thread has changed my views on the Galaxy S. I'm currently awaiting my network to get the HTC Desire in stock, however the wait is becoming stupidly long (been waiting 2 months already with no sign of stock in the near future), and the Galaxy S is the only phone available from Orange that seems to come close. I've been put off by Samsung from the lack of support and general lack of depth with their phones. My current Tocco can barely use Java applications, and has one incredibly sluggish processor. Forgetting about the N900 for a second (as much as it hurts to say it), could any of you guys give me a more under-the-bonnet comparison between these two Android handsets?

Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
While I'm not exactly the most technical-minded in terms of development, this thread has changed my views on the Galaxy S. I'm currently awaiting my network to get the HTC Desire in stock, however the wait is becoming stupidly long (been waiting 2 months already with no sign of stock in the near future), and the Galaxy S is the only phone available from Orange that seems to come close. I've been put off by Samsung from the lack of support and general lack of depth with their phones. My current Tocco can barely use Java applications, and has one incredibly sluggish processor. Forgetting about the N900 for a second (as much as it hurts to say it), could any of you guys give me a more under-the-bonnet comparison between these two Android handsets?
You could just google for "Samsung Captivate" like I did.
Here's a pretty good review, methinks:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...tivate-review/

Getting back to Samsung's open-sourcing, though, this was an interesting read for the details:
http://briefmobile.com/samsung-open-...aptivates-code

You could just google for "Samsung Captivate" like I did.
Here's a pretty good review, methinks:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...tivate-review/
Thanks, but I know how to Google, and that isn't really what I'm looking for. I want to know honest views on the usability and most importantly futureproof-ness of the phone, and after using my N800 for two years I'd like the input from the guys here on the forum on how the platform performs when used for tasks I would once do on my tablet. The main thing putting me off is my current Samsung phone from two years ago that is absolutely terrible at any kind of internet usage, and never got any support from Samsung after it was on the market. I just keep feeling that it's too "phone" and not enough "internet device".

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Hi, I would be interested in the source of that number. Never seen it before.
http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...-pr11-and.html
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Screw it... I'll have a Captivate by tomorrow.

Tags
2nokia, android, face palm, opensource