Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Hi, i'm Tiago, i'm carioca but i've been living in São Paulo for more than 10 years, i'm 25 years old, I jsut got my N900 today (well, it's past midnight here, so i guess it was yesterday)

My father brought my N900 from the US, he lives in a different city, so he sent it via SEDEX, he sent it saturday, i waited, waited, then on monday the tracker said it was in route to this place, i googled the name of the place and it scared the **** out of me, all sorts of reports of that place "loosing" expensive items, and even a report of someone having a brand new cell phone going thru there, and then arriving with the box several grams lighter than when sent, empty except for manuals and paddings, but tuesday my N900 was delivered to my building without a scratch, even with the Nokia tape sealing the box, i've been messing with it ever since

Btw, how can i set the timezone? It only wanna think in terms of regions, and it doesn't mention Brazil inside latin America:/
Also, how can i change the date format to how it is in Brazil but without using any translation on the interface etc? (I don't like translations, when they aren't stupidly wrong, often they still translate using a lesser known translation to a word, i speak english fluently, so having it in the original works much better for me)

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-08-04 at 04:04.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Btw, how can i set the timezone? It only wanna think in terms of regions, and it doesn't mention Brazil inside latin America:/
Also, how can i change the date format to how it is in Brazil but without using any translation on the interface etc? (I don't like translations, when they aren't stupidly wrong, often they still translate using a lesser known translation to a word, i speak english fluently, so having it in the original works much better for me)
Timezone: click on the battery icon, clocks and alarms, world clocks, local time.
Turn OFF "auto update", selec the timezone, save, go back and turn on "auto update".

As for the date format, no easy way that I know of... there is an environment table LC_TIME, you can see it if you go to the terminal and type "set". Changing this should work, with the "export" command, but will get back on next boot. I tried doing it when I got mine, and I even located the file that defines this, but I forgot where it is located.

I installed the Brazilian translation and I'm happy with it.

I tried that the other day and for it kept going to the regions thing, but earlier today i accidently bumped and endedup in the world clock thing, and then after that i could set the timezone for the clock just fine...i'm not sure what happened....

hi everybody!
I've just bought my N900!
A lot of good experience by now.
One drawback: I don't know how to write things using accentuation and cedilla...
even using the great brazilian portuguese package by Jorge Aguilar...
By the way, I'm engineer, 33yo, and live in Rio de Janeiro.

Originally Posted by andrecompan View Post
hi everybody!
I've just bought my N900!
A lot of good experience by now.
One drawback: I don't know how to write things using accentuation and cedilla...
even using the great brazilian portuguese package by Jorge Aguilar...
By the way, I'm engineer, 33yo, and live in Rio de Janeiro.
accentuation and cedilla: press the blue key and then the "Sym Ctrl" key. It displays a keyborad on the screen.

I know you can customize the physical keyboard and the keyboard on the screen, but I'm not sure how.

Originally Posted by eduperez View Post
accentuation and cedilla: press the blue key and then the "Sym Ctrl" key. It displays a keyborad on the screen.

I know you can customize the physical keyboard and the keyboard on the screen, but I'm not sure how.
Hey Thank You EduPerez!
I didn't know that!

Maybe as Nokia is starting to sell N900 in Brazil they decide to solve our issues with accentuation and cedilla through the keyboard and with the autocomplete dictionary...
But I'm not sure about it. I had a Sony bought in Brazil and it simply ignore portuguese symbols...

btw, has any of you figured out a way around the absurd prices and conditions of mobile dataplans?

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
btw, has any of you figured out a way around the absurd prices and conditions of mobile dataplans?
First of all, hi, I'm from a city close to RJ, and I'm nowadays living in Niteroi.

Tiago, depende, de que preços vc fala? Na vivo eu pago internet por mb por exemplo, so uso quando necessario, mas isso pq onde eu vou tem wifi. Fora isso, meus serviços sao baratos.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Ce pas muipinto disgrassada.
That's all I can remember lol

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Ce pas muipinto disgrassada.
That's all I can remember lol
Was that a portuguese attemp? Looks like french + spanish...

Tags
brazil, greeting