Notices

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find it:

Is there a way that i can increase the number of simultaneous downloads? I often get slow or large podcasts holding up the rest.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by j d View Post
Is there a way that i can increase the number of simultaneous downloads? I often get slow or large podcasts holding up the rest.
Yes, close gPodder and edit the file ~/.config/gpodder/gpodder.conf and there you will find "max_downloads" - set this to the desired value (e.g. max_downloads = 2). Please note that this might decrease the overall responsiveness of your device while gPodder is downloading files (that's also why this defaults to 1 and isn't exposed in the GUI).

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
gpodder has an automatic update interval in the settings, but it has never automatically updated anything for me, is it supposed to, or does it only work if gpodder is open, maybe in the background?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm pretty sure gpodder has to be running for the automatic update to work. It would be nice if there was a service or a crob job or something that could do the updating without the main gpodder executable having to be running all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
thanks, yeah just something that would wake up in the middle of the night (or any pre defined time) and download the new episodes would be killer

Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
thanks, yeah just something that would wake up in the middle of the night (or any pre defined time) and download the new episodes would be killer
Yup, it is possible. I do it with the following shell script (use alarmed or fcron):
Code:
test=`cat /proc/net/route | grep wlan0`
[[ -n "$test" ]] && gpo update >/home/user/logs.log && gpo download >> /home/user/logs.log

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rajil.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Hi,

I'm having an issue importing the attached OPML file that I got from the Podcasting application of my previous phone, the Nokia E61i. I've looked at the OPML file and it looks good to me, but I'm no expert...

I did have to remove some ^M characters from the original file and I changed the url attribute to xmlUrl, but that was obviously not enough.

The message I get in gPodder is:

"No podcasts found. Try another source."

Please note that I renamed the file to ...txt only to be able to attach it here. On the device I use the file with the .opml extension.

[EDIT]
After creating this post, I was able to run the OPML Validator and I found an issue. The version attribute was missing in the opml tag. Unfortunately, even after adding it, I still hit the same error in gPodder.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Podcasting.opml.txt (1.9 KB, 160 views)
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Last edited by magnuslu; 2010-08-12 at 07:43. Reason: Corrected attachment

It would be great if Gpodder can remember the player position after quiting it.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by magnuslu View Post
The message I get in gPodder is:

"No podcasts found. Try another source."
Ok, the problem seems to be that gPodder doesn't handle certain special characters in the opml file. I removed the 'Swedish' characters (ä) and the

Code:
&
and

Code:
'
that I had in there as well. After that it worked just fine.
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by magnuslu View Post
Ok, the problem seems to be that gPodder doesn't handle certain special characters in the opml file.
Yes, I just checked it with your file - Python's XML parser seems to have a problem with the file - it's encoded in iso-8859-1 (you can use the "file" utility to do some rough encoding detection - it gives "ISO-8859 English text" for me), and you have to escape the chars there. If you convert the file to utf-8, it works with umlauts as well, and gPodder happily imports it:

Code:
iconv -fiso-8859-1 -tutf-8 Podcasting.opml  > Podcasting2.opml
Alternatively, you can (should?) specify the encoding in the document. You have to add the following line at the very beginning of your OPML file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
More info at http://www.opentag.com/xfaq_enc.htm, especially:

Note that the encoding of an XML document is never iso-8859-1 by default.
Maybe you can contact the authors of the application from which you exported the OPML file from and tell them about this bug in their export function - it's not a bug or shortcoming in gPodder, the file is invalid - you could check with any strict XML parser.

Last edited by thp; 2010-08-14 at 11:02.

Tags
fremantle, gpodder, maemo 5, not android, podcast, testing