Active Topics

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Gotcha

Well, I see no reason why this should not happen... The only reason people aren't buying MeeGo phones, tablets, you name it, is well, because no one is selling them yet

So we're back to

devices, Devices, DEVICES!

Having a bunch of devices on the market doesn't mean that people will use them .

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-08-10 at 05:12.

Most of this argument is null IMHO.

What we are all talking about is almost akin to limiting software or format proprietary, which has killed many good devices over the last 30 years. Sony shot themselves in the balls with the minidisc and this kind of closed thinking is almost exactly the same thing.

What really needs to be the focus (again, only my opinion) is a variety of quality handsets assembled from quality materials which are seen as computers rather than a 'nokia phone' and 'apple/iphone' an 'android phone' or a 'HTC phone'.

I would have serious hesitations purchasing a device in the near future which does not allow me to choose if I would like to run MeeGO, Android, Windowsphone7 or all 3 and provide a reasonable amount of storage space to do so.

And I am not talking about having to hack and slash at the thing and wait months for community developer projects, I am talking out of the box support for whatever operating system you would like to install, just like on any PC.

Trying to limit competition through the use of heavy marketing and a 2 year captive audience cycle is so counter productive it isn't even funny.

Why are we so prepared to accept the free market and embrace competition on the surface, but so afraid to let the power of these forces work towards better outcomes for all users?

Clarification: Mobile manufacturers need to concentrate on producing the BEST HARDWARE in all regards from look and feel to raw power, battery life, input/output quality and longevity whilst leaving hardware and software documentation completely accessible to both in house and homebrew/ commercial developers.

I know there are problems with DRM content and people getting paid with this sort of model but I would rather see these issues addressed directly than watch another doomed push by nokia still barking up a 10 year old business model tree. In my opinion they are still one of the best mobile manufacturers in the world as far as hardware quality and input/output quality goes, but for ****s sake get it together with the delivery.

Last edited by bandario; 2010-08-10 at 02:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandario For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
To make MeeGo Suceed the company has to have a vast amount of free good apps and good app store. App store is a killer feature for Apple Iphone at the moment. Google Android app store is nowhere near it's peak as the Apple app store.

So if Nokia and Intel wants to see MeeGo a success then they will have to start thinking about App store and connection with big app developer companies.

No app = No future!
Maemo 5 No apps => No big future! =>Not many sold => Abandoned by Nokia !

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
1. Devices
2. Users
3. Developers
4. Applications
5. Goto [1]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
1. Devices
2. Users
3. Developers
4. Applications
5. Goto [1]
I think your right on target.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia sticking to MeeGo for more than one iteration and dropping the notion that each iteration of the OS means a new phone purchase.

Third party support and getting Ovi in shape at launch.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
With lots of devices and a good amount of support from Nokia it shouldn't do too horribly in the marketplace. The reason why WebOs failed lack of compelling hardware, lack of applications, poor marketing, and lack of network operator interest. If MeeGo manages to avoid all of those things it will succeed.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-08-10 at 05:14.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nokia sticking to MeeGo for more than one iteration and dropping the notion that each iteration of the OS means a new phone purchase.

Third party support and getting Ovi in shape at launch.
Essentially Nokia needs to get there **** together.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Essentially Nokia needs to get there **** together.
Well.... yes and no. They already manufacturer world class phones - in terms in build and quality - but they need to get the software and UI/UX to a point where it's a good balance of "hacker" and "consumer"... Maemo 5 still hands down was the step in a right direction after looking at Maemo 4.1 (Diablo) and so forth. I mean, seriously... even I can admit that Maemo 5 is leaps and bounds above Maemo 4.1.

But to be honest, the biggest problem(s) for Nokia is their perception in a few markets; namely Japan and North America. Their culture goes great in Europe, it's understood there. But here? Not so much. It's much like if Willcom were sold outside of Japan.

I don't think that Nokia needs to get their **** together. They just need to get their message coherent and not based on what's coming out new, but supporting what's already out better.

Just my opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
You're already holding the first MeeGo-compatible phone in your hands: the N900 with PR 1.2. It is not MeeGo OS yet, but it can be used to develop MeeGo-compatible applications.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: