Notices

Hi !
I noted the following when trying to import maps into gmap.db and vmap.db.
Importation goes fine according to the output of map2gdbm. However, maemo mapper does NOT recognize any maps that are <= level 6 of magnification. Lower magnification is OK. Any idea what is wrong?

There is a 4 level difference between the two map formats. In MM2.x level 6 corresponds to level 2 in MM1.x, so you need to have map tiles in MM1.x repository of level 2 and under to have them shown in MM2.x level 6 and under.

Thank you nutter!

I've done the MapsIn1 utility, which converts the Maemo Mapper 1.4x or MM2.2x map repository into the new map format.

MapsIn1 is a PC Windows software utility that converts Maemo Mapper(MM) 1.xx or 2.x (GDBM) map repository into the new map repository format I developed. The new modified Maemo Mapper 1.4 or 2.2 Mod 1 applications use the same new map tile format.

To download the tool, go to
http://code.google.com/p/mmpcmapper/downloads/list

To learn more about the new map repository format, go to
http://code.google.com/p/mmpcmapper/

This is a command line application, but you can make a batch file to run it. Also it's better to redirect its screen output to a text file to review the processing result.

To convert the original MM1.x map repository to the format, run at the command line:

>mapsin1 config_file target_dir map_index

The config file is exact the same config file used by IEMapper and Map2Gdbm, which specifies the top directories for different map tile repositories, and map levels you expect to build. The target directory is the new map tile file system, which you need to copy to your SD card, and point your MM Mod application repository to.

The map_index indicates which type of map repository you want to build, the source M1.xx map tile directory is specified in the config file:

0 -- Google Street Map
1 -- Google Satellite Image
2 -- Google Terrain Map
3 -- Google Chinese Map
4 -- Virtual Earth Map
5 -- Virtual Earth Satellite Image
6 -- Virtual Earth Hybrid Image
7 -- Google Satellite Image Mask

To convert the original MM2.x map repository (GDBM) to the new map storage format, run at the command line:

>mapsin1 gdbm_file target_dir

And that's it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nutter For This Useful Post:
Hi Nutter,

Many thanks for your program.
I use it for converting tiles from MapCruncher into format of MM2.
Now I have whole my region(square 800km-800km ) in N800.

Mapcruncher-> vbs script for converting tiles from Mapcruncher to MM1
format, -> map2gdbm.exe to convert MM1 into MM2.

I used a lot of raster topographical maps (1cm-1km, 1cm-2km) and I encountered
to a problem - some tiles in the map (MM2) were black.
I found the problem after analyze the source code of map2gdbm.cpp.

Some tiles has the size more than 64k, but the program uses 64k for read files(tiles)
and 128k(strange?) for write data to *db files.

I change next rows:

#define BUFFER_SIZE 1024*64

buf=new char[128*1024];

to:
#define BUFFER_SIZE 1024*256

buf=new char[256*1024];

and the problem was solved.

Before this I was need to convert PNG files (from MapCruncher) to JPG with compression (90% or 80%).
Now I can use renamed PNG->JPG files from MapCruncher.

Last edited by Nait; 2008-06-25 at 05:26.

Hello,

I have been unable to get IEMapper to work. (IEMapper returns a "0 files copied" message.) In the config file I take it you have to specify both an input "top directory" (under which there are subdirectories containing downloaded map files) and a target directory to which the map files will be copied in MM1.xx format. I suspect it is specifying the latter (target directory) I am getting wrong. What is the format for this entry in the config file?

Alternatively could someone post the text of a config file that is known to work correctly?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Phil. View Post
Hello,

I have been unable to get IEMapper to work. (IEMapper returns a "0 files copied" message.) In the config file I take it you have to specify both an input "top directory" (under which there are subdirectories containing downloaded map files) and a target directory to which the map files will be copied in MM1.xx format. I suspect it is specifying the latter (target directory) I am getting wrong. What is the format for this entry in the config file?

Alternatively could someone post the text of a config file that is known to work correctly?

Thank you
If you can get this to work - could you post?

I'm having the same trouble.

I am also getting a '0 file(s) copied' message...

Any ideas on why this does not seem to work. I have looked, and the tiles are indeed on the 'Temporary Internet Files' directory, but they are apparently not being copied out by iemapper...

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cosgrach View Post
I am also getting a '0 file(s) copied' message...

Any ideas on why this does not seem to work. I have looked, and the tiles are indeed on the 'Temporary Internet Files' directory, but they are apparently not being copied out by iemapper...

Thanks!
Sorry for bringing this page alive, I am traveling to Canada soon and i wish to download Toronto maps to use in Maemo Mapper. I tried IEMapper solution but it says zero files copied. Can someone suggest me how to download googlemaps for use in Maemo Mapper? Appreciate your time.