Poll: Would You miss the Council if it was gone?
Poll Options
Would You miss the Council if it was gone?

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Just saying that the real community, has been here a lot longer than the people that you see yourself representing, and, who are generally quite ignorant to how we operate here.

The Council is a part of how we operate. It's how the developers and enthusiasts here raise important issues with Nokia, and how Nokia can communicate resources to the community.

You're not in this community, because you don't do anything for us. Help or leave. I'm not being nasty, I'm trying to be pragmatic. You obviously don't like what you've got, so ditch it and move on ...
People like YOU give this community a bad name and while you CONTINUE to attack me i will attack you back ok !!!!.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
People like YOU give this community a bad name and while you CONTINUE to attack me i will attack you back ok !!!!.
Suit yourself, I quite like the maemo.org name .. What would you have us change it to btw?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Again, while discussion within this thread is wide ranging, please keep discussion focused on the issues. To further clarify that, the question of whether a community member belongs to a given subgroup, real or imagined, is not on-topic here or elsewhere. Nor is the right for any such subgroup to post open for debate. All are free to post so long as they stay on-topic, avoid personal attacks and insults, and abide by the other rules of this forum.

Along those lines, please immediately steer future posts within this thread to back to discussion of on-topic issues. Personal disagreements may be taken to personal messaging. The infraction system is not yet active, so the tools at my disposal are temporary bans and thread closure. I'd prefer to use neither.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What you fail to recognise is the majority do NOT think Maemo is complete in any way or form as the N900 does not give anything like the performance users want and the very reason people are fed up with Nokia.

Your waiting for Nokia to give you something , anything , past pr1.3... dream on guy they are dropping the N900 fast and furious so your hopes will be dashed i am afraid to say UNLESS this community can get through to Nokia and get them to realise the facts and figures of N900 owners.

Speak for yourself but you dont speak for the majority i can tell you !.

So what happens will much depend on the NEXT device from Nokia to gain back customers they are losing drastically now over this whole afair regarding the screwups they are and continue to do so on the N900.

What everyone wants to hear is there in fact WILL be Meego development for the N900 by Nokia and some hope that we have not bought a useless device because for sure the next device will be much better obviously if Nokia are anything but fools !.

I act on reality not dreams ok.

So what can the Council and this community do about this mess???.
Err. I don't think you understand (which you might want to re-evaluate on the whole "I act on reality not dreams ok" point. Nokia (as in the higher ups that make the decision about device life support, Flash, Ovi Maps, etc..) don't care. If you want to make them care, complaining here and complaining to the council isn't going do it.

Let's say you ran and got elected onto the council. And you can complain all you want to the community contact people Nokia has. They're going tell you, there's nothing we can do about it. Sorry. Because the decision is not in their hands, it's their boss' boss' decision. Or even higher up depending on however Nokia is structured. The council does not have the power when it comes to commercial decisions about Nokia. And Nokia has decided that maemo is dead outside of bugfixes, QT 4.7, and QT Mobility. You can present all the facts and figures you want, it won't change the core of the problem. That is Nokia doesn't want to, it's not that they don't know of the problem. It's that they don't care. The reality is, Nokia doesn't care. It's not that they don't know N900 users are unsatisifed with the future of their device. It's that they don't care about the Maemo platform on the N900. It's been declared dead, onto the next device/OS.

And as for Meego on the N900. You can already run Meego on the N900. I don't see why people keep thinking Meego won't come to the N900. And the work towards this project has even helped out other projects apparantly. It seems the NITDroid project (that is running Android 2.2 on the N900) recently benefited from the ofono work.

http://flors.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/running-meego-
1-1-unstable-in-your-n900/

And if things are going as expected, there will be a finalized vanilla version of Meego running on the N900. There just won't be vendor specific apps like Ovi Maps or Ovi services on the vanilla Meego image. It is up to the (now disintegrating) community to figure that part out. Nokia has already stated, we're not doing that for the N900. Whether it's taking the parts from the next Nokia device, or a community created solution. And your current posts only help the continual disintegration. Especially due to your refusal to read and understand other people's points.

So then you might wonder why is Nokia even bothering with PR 1.3 (bugfixes, QT 4.7, and QT Mobility) and vanilla Meego on the N900? It's because they need to do something with the N900, and turning it into a dev platform is their solution.

So a summary:

1) Nokia doesn't care about Maemo on the N900 and will continue to ignore you
2) Nokia is working on vanilla Meego on the N900 (no commercial Ovi support)
3) Nokia likely intends for the N900 to be a dev platform.
4) The council is powerless to change Nokia's commercial decisions. And the Nokia deciding Maemo is dead, in favor of Meego is a commercial decision.

If you don't like it then my advice is to sell your device, be done with the headache and go get a device that has future support. Much better then complaining on the forums dreaming that Nokia will suddenly change their minds.

If you'd like to go further, organize the people that are discontented and write to major news/tech blogs about Nokia's handling of the N900. That'll do much further damage to Nokia's reputation.

Lastly, avoid Nokia devices until they've shown they can at least commit to device support for X amount of years. X being what you deem necessary.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're assuming community would actually get off their collective asses and fix things and be skilled and capable of doing this if it was open source.
When I care about something that isn't working right, my a*s moves a little faster when I have the source. Especially source that is in the public domain.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Jaffa, texrat? Shoot.
Peter, I'm not sure if you've caught the concerns I've communicated via blog and email, but I would be more than happy to summarize in an email to you if you like.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Absolute brilliant post from Laughing man as it has my sentiments to a t but some people on here cannot accept the reality that i actually said on this very community and on the post erlier what Nokia are doing and that is MOVING ON to its next device.

And why i say tswindell lives in a dreamworld !.

This community also has to move on but arguing does not bring prgress unless lessons are learned from argument and Laughing man sums it up entirely i must say.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I think we should put a registration period requirement of 2 years for voting and commenting on whether the Council is needed or not. Too much noise coming from those that don't really get how maemo.org operates and it's relationship/s with Nokia ..

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
All this fuss about Meego. If you want it so much "Check/vote MeeGo Bug 5136 – Multi boot option at least for N900 http://bit.ly/cNDEux . More MeeGo/N900 bugs welcome!" via http://twitter.com/quimgil

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The gritty details:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_process
Hmm. It seems I lack Karma. I will try to get more and apply.

Closed Thread

Tags
community, council, maemo.org