Active Topics

Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
I did put together a custom version of modest, to fix some bugs that PR1.2 introduced: send/receive and email notifications not working with POP3 accounts and messages deleted from server regardless of "Leave messages on server" setting.
Latter was fixed in git already, for former I had to come up with some patches. I did make some performance improvements too, to reduce the time it takes to check for messages: original version checked 3 times in a row when send/receive button was pressed in headers window Now it does it only once.

The patched version, which is in attachment, is based on http://gitorious.org/modest/modest modest-3.4 branch. To install, copy this file to N900, become root and unpack it:
Code:
tar xzf modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz  -C /
This will overwrite /usr/bin/modest.launch and /usr/lib/camel-lite-1.2/camel-providers/libcamelpop3.so. Reboot your phone.

To uninstall, just reinstall modest and libcamelpop3 from PR1.2:
Code:
apt-get --reinstall install libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 modest
I have tested it with my POP3 and gmail accounts and it seems to be working fine, but I cannot give any guarantees, use at your own risk.
Did you get rid of the RSET that modest annoyingly sends before closing the smtp session??

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
No, I did not touch any of the commands it sends to server. What's the problem with RSET ?

Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
No, I did not touch any of the commands it sends to server. What's the problem with RSET ?
RSET clears the received data from the smtp server object before it has chance to be used.

RFC821 states
"
RESET (RSET)
This command specifies that the current mail transaction is
to be aborted. Any stored sender, recipients, and mail data
must be discarded, and all buffers and state tables cleared.
The receiver must send an OK reply.
"

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
Does it cause any problems or is it just an unnecessary command before the connection gets closed ?

Yes
I use the Perl smtp server libraries in my smtp servers. They complete the smtp session (up to QUIT) before making the payload available to the calling process.The result is that the RSET deletes the payload (from, to and data) before it can be read. I have had to disable the RSET function of the servers to enable the N900 to work with them. I have checked an outlook express smtp session and cant see a RSET command. It is highly likely that smtp servers that process the incoming data as it arrives, during the session would be immune to the RSET but the RFC suggest that it is only to be used in failed sessions so I cant see why it should be sent in a successful session.

kenshail, have you filed a bug report regarding this with the modest folks?

No, I guess I should.
I am also seeing a problem over gsm:
Modest seems to skip to the QUIT without delivering the DATA when there is a slow connection. Its as if there is a timeout where it gives-up on a slow connection. Ironically there is no RSET in that situation. The N900 (quite correctly) declares it a "fail".
I haven't used the modes reporting procedure before so will try it.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i just reflashed my device and have this file in my n900 folder.

just like before and on my other units, i have done your command

tar xzf modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz -C /

yes...2 spaces after gz and 1 after C.

i get the following

[code]

tar: modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or director
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
/home/user #

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi,

It would be great if someone could backport the fix of
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8919

thx

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
[code]

tar: modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or director
You must not be in the correct directory. Make sure you 'cd' to the exact location of the file before untarring the file.
Registered Linux user #266531.