Well my baby is pretty much cursed...

So far I've snagged the power cable when it was on the table and catapulted it across the room. Lucky it landed on soft carpet and the USB port still seems rock solid.

Was showing off piccies in the pub when it was dropped onto the concrete floor. It had a cheap £4 Amazon brought jewel case which exploded off it, but left no noticeable damage apart from a few tiny scratches on one corner of the bezel.

Yesterday I caught my headphone cables in a rack and nearly garotted myself and catapulting it out of my pocket into a SAN shelf.

Lucky both the SAN and N900 seems fine apart from my headphone socket seems a little wobbly. When I plug it in it seems to click in okay, but the slight left and right wobble does worry me.

Is there give on the headphone socket of an average N900 or am I just being paranoid?

Mine seems pretty average. Not too tight not too slack, just right. Though, I've never rdropped mine persay.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
The headphone jack is kept in place by plastic posts internally. It's not soldered to the board, but instead "floats" on pads on the board. The whole jack removes as a single unit by just opening the device. Worst case you broke the little feet it uses to keep stable. You may be able to get a new one from a parts site, but if its still working, you're pretty much good. Just don't jiggle it too much, or it may break the last foot it has and slide into the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The headphone jack is kept in place by plastic posts internally. It's not soldered to the board, but instead "floats" on pads on the board. The whole jack removes as a single unit by just opening the device. Worst case you broke the little feet it uses to keep stable. You may be able to get a new one from a parts site, but if its still working, you're pretty much good. Just don't jiggle it too much, or it may break the last foot it has and slide into the device.
Thank you for the info!

I've stopped wiggling it. I popped into a phone shop last night and tried my headphones in another N900 and it seemed to have roughly the same wiggle room.

Got an Otterbox winging its way over now

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by mahousaru View Post
Thank you for the info!

I've stopped wiggling it. I popped into a phone shop last night and tried my headphones in another N900 and it seemed to have roughly the same wiggle room.

Got an Otterbox winging its way over now
I would buy a safe and drag it around in a carriage. What a horror story...

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I would buy a safe and drag it around in a carriage. What a horror story...
I normally carry around my E71, N900, Kodak Playsport and a Creative Zen MP3 player and everything else is in pristine condition.

For some reason the one device that I am ultra careful about is the one that suffers all the damage

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Headphone jack on my n900 is very tight, no wiggle at all in any direction. Of course I've never dropped it or used a slingshot to fire it across the room :P

About the Otterbox, I've found it makes it harder to use the default headphones provided with the device since it adds some thickness (you have to push slightly harder).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

My first N900 was a B-stock unit (returned by original buyer within 15 days).

The only thing wrong with it was the headphones jack, which would only work if you wiggled the cord around when plugged in, and then held it in place.

I don't know if this is because of abuse by the first owner, or a factory defect, but I got it replaced with a unit with no issues.

Just in case, I do try to be careful with anything I plug into the device.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
About the Otterbox, I've found it makes it harder to use the default headphones provided with the device since it adds some thickness (you have to push slightly harder).
Thanks for the info!

My Otterbox just arrived this morning and it makes my N900 all new and shiny again .

I'm going to a Korean festival so it is going to be used a lot as my happy snapper. The button for the camera is much more responsive then it was with my jewel case as the case got in the way. The same goes for the volume controls too, I find fbreader a little easier to turn pages now!

I do see what you mean about the headphone socket and also the wake up button is a little harder to get to, but I just need to remember to leave a mm on my finger nail