Active Topics

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ehab View Post
What is the size of the screen on the desire?
3.7"

message.length() > 10

I'm happy i made the switch, love my desire, got all the apps i had on my n900 (except Debian but not needed) plus much much more. I have a rooted desire with 2.2 sense and apps2sd +.

all the emulators work great, fb apps is impressive just missing the fb chat option.

Google voice search app and navigation is great also love chrome2phone.

i did make a small video of the emulators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf5bNzxqNkc

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
My partner bought a desire. I'm glad I didn't.

Compared to my N900:

No keyboard = absolute HELL.
What good is having fantastic emulated games without flipping buttons?

Sound quality!! OH MY GOD.
Desire sound out of the speakers is absolutely terrible and the output from the audio jack is absolutely sub-par as well.
I am a bit of an audiophile and I regularly play music from my N900 through decent systems and love it, the desire is lacking serious quality in lows + mids and highs are not that great either.

The market store is amazing on desire but that is about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandario For This Useful Post:
I love my N900 way more than the Desire, I got a chance to handle both.
It's just the OS, it is way better for my needs. The Desire does have a capacitive screen though, which is more durable than resistive.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by ehab View Post
What is the size of the screen on the desire?
According to phonescoop.com the screen size is 3.7 inches. It lists the desire as a CDMA phone.The GSM version, as listed at the HTC UK site, also states 3.7 inches.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
... The Desire does have a capacitive screen though, which is more durable than resistive.
I missed this memo. All I could find was a guest comment on allaboutsymbian saying it felt more durable. Do you have a decent source for this, I couldn't find it.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ hull, england
I have recently swapped my n900 for a HTC desire HD due to boasted RAM and processor as streaming live videos on n900 was pants due to poor processor. also charger port falling out and software issues. I am so gutted I ever did this I would swap HTC for my n900 back any day. Browser may be slower on n900 and not support flash player 10 but is far superior to android. N900 played all my music and avi files but HTC cannot play any music were I have ripped cds in itunes my videos in avi off digi camera don't play. HTC desire HD is absolutely rubbish and wouldn't advise anyone getting one. Maemo is far better than Android. Fair enough plenty of apps but most pointless or do the things n900 can do as standard.

The Following User Says Thank You to adamw969 For This Useful Post:
I got a brand new desire just a week ago and i absolutly HATED it. luckily i didn't sell my n900 and i'm back using it again. Hated the browser, didn't support a good 10 or so sites i went on, couldn't do online banking with barclays as the "next" buttons wern't there? other sites you pressed some buttons and nothing happened? The speaker is rubbish, quiet and crap sound quality. Texting is so aggrivating i almost smashed it up. It doesn't multitask anywhere near as good as the n900, copy n paste and switching between open apps n stuff, it does but not well. Plus u have to install an app to make it multitask. And then another app to stop everything running constanly in the backround. It takes ages to charge and didn't last any longer and it got that hot while using it that i had to keep putting it down?? Tooooooo complicated and long winded to do simple things with. No human brain could possibly remember where every setting is and what it does. Don't get me wrong here.. its an awsome bit of kit, you can tell immediatley its got a stonking proccesor and can handle anything to do to it, but only that, the app store and google maps is what you get. I can live without that phone quite easily. Browsing the net is far more important to thats why i got the n900 in the first place. My desire is up for sale and i don't care one bit coz i'm back on ma n900
Oh and one more thing... 512mb rom? Seriously? I only used it for less than a week and i used over 70 percent of it? I know you can shift installed apps to the memory card which i did but u can't shift em all and very soon you'll all be uninstalling apps to install new ones. Rubbish. Right thats my rant over with
Laters

Last edited by natedog400; 2011-01-26 at 13:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to natedog400 For This Useful Post:
desire vs n900

slim (sexy!), big screen, bright colours, fast cpu, very responsive (a little too responsive), google maps and nightsky (hardware compass)

contact list is terrible, not as much integration, android controls you a lot more than maemo, movie support is crap, audio is bad, no hardware keyboard. a million torch apps and only one of them is genius vs only 1 torch app for n900. gosh! and worst of all chews through the battery like hell. very limited ram and apps space and worst of all... no multitasking.

i put cyanagenmod on straight away and this helped a bit but still the same issues.

desire is a pretty phone but dont really like android. it always feels clumsy to me. so i gave it to my gf and will monitor how she uses it.

so n900 is a little brickier, a little heavier, a little slower, missing a few little things. its far more powerful in other ways and maemo doesnt do anything i dont tell it to whereas android is always up to something in the background. contact list and integration with it on n900 is years advanced on everyone else. just wish it had a little *more* integration here and there.. oh the multitasking and windowed environment. so logical! i waited YEARS for a phone like this and have loved the last 14 months of owning it

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Keferen View Post
desire vs n900

.. no multitasking.
What do you mean?
I've seen plenty of you tube videos showing Android devices running multiple apps, even a switcher that look similar to maemo's with the windows zooming back and forward.

Originally Posted by Keferen View Post
whereas android is always up to something in the background.
lol