Active Topics

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post
i'm seriously considering HTC Desire. no doubt that N900 is a powerful device. but it sucks at doing the basic telephony stuff. sometimes, i need to reboot my phone just to make a call.
You should get the desire it's an awesome phone. I sold my n900 to my brother and since he's not at all familiar with tech i still get to use it once in a while. Written from my desire

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
A guy in the office came in with a dell streak this morning - I have to say that Im am very very impressed - this 'might' possible be my next phone to replace my beloved N900.
The biggest surprise was just how pocketable it was - I really didn't notice it in my pocket and the screen is amazing.
It has everything I could want and is very responsive to use..
Downside - no hardware keyboard and Android - Im used to Maemo and the completely unlocked experience but I could always jailbreak it
Im surprised at how much I liked it, I didn't want to, but after spending the last 15mins playing around with it - my N900 seems clunky and slow and dated and I so want one of these now...
i like the look of the streak and iphone 4g,but can i do the things i can with the n900,access my online banking without the need of a simplified app.apps usaully lack full desktop function.On the n900 i can run my ebay auctions without any imput from a desktop or laptop ever, can any other phone do that?.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Remember the good old days with speculations about the RX71?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27262

I am pretty sure I opened a TMO account because I believed that unicorn (RX71) existed in some far-away lab... but it must have been a typo...

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by hhadrian View Post
i like the look of the streak and iphone 4g,but can i do the things i can with the n900,access my online banking without the need of a simplified app.apps usaully lack full desktop function.On the n900 i can run my ebay auctions without any imput from a desktop or laptop ever, can any other phone do that?.
Just grabbed it back of him, and had another play - dont need apps, running the browser I was able to log in and check my banking OK, the inbuilt browser handles my webmail as well and youtube was a joy with the extra screen estate...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by hhadrian View Post
I'm pretty sure Droid and Iphone can do that too. Jailbreak iphone4 is pretty close to N900 but better and it can use droid flash 10.1 hack too. That's why i think i might just go for the iphone4 since the droid drinks battery like juice. Maemo5 drinks battery too but still better than the droid.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I wouldn't complained if the N900 got 512MB RAM. It would be the best device if Nokia didn't put only 256MB onto it.

I know linux doesn't need much RAM but 256MB isn't enough after all. No more Nokia for me for a while.

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
A guy in the office came in with a dell streak this morning - I have to say that Im am very very impressed - this 'might' possible be my next phone to replace my beloved N900.
That's good to hear - I bought a Dell Streak last night (should be with me on Wednesday), but I dont think it'll be my main phone. I'll keep my n95 or my trusty 1200 for that

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
As now, there is no phone that matches N900. There is a few phones that got some features that is better, like some Android got compass and Iphone 4 got higher resulution and so on. But no one beat N900 yet.

An Iphone 4 with FM-transmitter, Open OS, QWERTY like N900, 64gb on board memory + flashdrive and No Itunes would beat N900.
Only if I can change the damn battery!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by c:drive View Post
My Next Phone Will be Nokia N7 with built in Shaver,Nokia and Gillet is working on this shaverphone.
Sorry to inform you, but the "built-in electric razor" jokes already started around time when Nokia 3210 (one of the first big audience phones without an external antenna) came out.

Also, the work required to keep one's phone relatively clean is quite enough already with these touchscreens and all. Now imagine the amount of cruft the phone would collect if it actually doubled as a shaver...

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
I've had my N900 since December/09 and I still think there's a lot of exploring to do...

So far I haven't seen anything that would make me abandon the N900, but then again, I haven't really been looking for it...

I work with *nix systems and have Linux on my laptop - Thinkpad T400 (Ubuntu), "server" - Atom 330 (Gentoo), Sat box - Vu+ Duo (OpenPLi) and on my smartphone/mobile computer/whatever (Maemo) = Harmony...

For me "Other OS" = Non *nix...