n900 is like a beast ready to be unleashed...the problem is no1 is releasin the beast!!(or atleast not by the concerned ppl) Galaxy although a decent lookin and workin phone doesnt match up to the processin powers of n900!!period!!

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
just as there are a lot of things i dont like about my n900, there are just as many things i love and that i dont want to miss ever again on a phone.
this makes buying a new device a hard decision, as i know i am going to miss some functions. meh.
the next device i'll buy (wont be too soon) propably is going to be android, but it needs hardware-keyboard, real multitasking and it shouldnt be a motorola droid

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I have both an N900 and a HTC Desire, and my thoughts chime with those of the OP. Android is open to manufacturers, but not to the user. I expect to have full control of the device that I paid for, and the gimped multitasking ruins the experience for me. Android is for Mr Joe Average only.

can you compare the camera thinking of getting the SGS

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I haven't used the camera personally but for me no (camera) flash = fail

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by samuch View Post
I'm confused, why would Android on the N900 without phone functionality be a functional alternative to an Android phone?
its like the n900 in 'tablet mode'
(something i do quite a lot when i want to avoid the missus!)

market = games and apps
wifi = web + flash10.1
and more importantly 'because its possible'

I also got my mrs a Samsung Galaxy S. All and all, I am impressed. The phone is lightning fast, screen is great, there are tonnes of apps, battery life is good, it will get flash shortly but...

And here comes the big but. As OP has pointed out, after using the N900, lack of proper multitasking is utterly frustrating. Also, not being easily able to do simple stuff like mounting the phone as a folder using sftp (one click on Ubuntu); lack of camera flash, making is a nightmare to take decent pics at night; no FM transmitter making it useless for me in the car; a navigation software which takes longer to lock the GPS (even after the so called GPS fix) than N900, and most of all a lack of real keyboard meant that I kept coming back to my N900. It is only when you don't have the stuff that you take for granted that you realise how much you miss it. That was exactly the case with me. Lately, I have also added another thing to this list... lack of fcamera and hdr picture capability. I absolutely love it....

Originally Posted by CaSPeR1 View Post
...In fact if you view about 20 pages in your browser then you need to click back 20 times for it to go to back to the start and eventually close.
Have you tried holding the back button? For me, using Dolphin Browser HD on my HTC Desire, that closes it straight away.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Try downloading "Dolphin Browser" from the Android Market and give that a shot. I suspect you'll like it a lot better, and the menu button DOES bring up an EXIT option to close it out immediately (also gives you the option to clear out your cache when you exit).

As for listening to football, you should try downloading "XiiaLive Lite" from Android Market. It provides what I feel to be the BEST radio experience and doesn't unintentionally pause in the background.

Give these two a try for a week and come back and let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
Have you tried holding the back button? For me, using Dolphin Browser HD on my HTC Desire, that closes it straight away.
It sounded to me like he meant the default Google browser. I don't much like it either.