Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hhadrian View Post
i like the look of the streak and iphone 4g,but can i do the things i can with the n900,access my online banking without the need of a simplified app.apps usaully lack full desktop function.On the n900 i can run my ebay auctions without any imput from a desktop or laptop ever, can any other phone do that?.
Actually, yes. Both Android and iPhone can do that. I've easily done banking and Netflix straight off my Motorola Droid just with the browser. Have you actually tried doing any of that with any other handsets? You might be surprised if you tried them for a week to do these things. Apps make things much more convenient, but the browsers on these newer handsets are very capable.

The N900 meets my needs. I had an E90 until January of 2010 when I decided to make the jump to the N900. I got my E90 the first day it was available in the US and used it with Blackberry Connect software and other Symbian apps and that device at the time met my needs.

Now with the N900 I have had to make some adjustments with how I use my device. It has taken some getting used to, but for the most important aspects of what I do the support community here has REALLY made the N900 a viable device for a long time. I stand and applaud all the developers who contribute to this community. I hope Nokia recognizes that without many of your efforts, the usability of the N900 is greatly minimized. The biggest help to me was a simple VPN client that allows me to access the routers and switches I support. With the E90, waiting for Nokia to distribute a useable VPN client that worked was darn near impossible.

Although Symbian may have a bigger installed footprint, I see more innovation from the developers in the maemo world. It is disappointing that Nokia seems to operate like a rudderless ship when it comes to marketing and overall direction. I have used Nokia phones and I used to love their innovation and features. But in this new age of delivering smartphones to the masses when such a device was relegated to the truly geeky and early adopters, Nokia has lagged behind a little.

Us loyal Nokia users see adds all the time for iPhones, Androids, HTC, you name it, but I have yet to see the same effort from Nokia in the US to let people know what they have to offer. People would always ask me, "Who makes that phone?" Everytime I would pull out one of my Nokia phones, a 9290, a 9500, an E90, and now my N900.

I use T-mobile and in the US an N900 and T-Mobile service lets you use 3G the way it was intended. Wouldn't it have been such a wonderful thing for T-Mobile and Nokia to have an iPhone alternative? A subsidized N900 with the ability to have T-Mobile specific branding or have the user put the phone in "native N900" mode without the extra T-Mobile specific software but still have access to the 3G network?

But I digress... I fully plan to use my N900 for as long as it meets my needs professionally and personally. I have it overclocked and the applications I use work crisply and without much incident. Fortunately, I really don't make a lot of calls, so any shortcomings the phone application may have, I rarely encounter. I am more concerned with access to e-mail and Internet browsing from my N900. So naturally, I am concerned about the seemingly lack of future flash support for the device and seamless integrated printing. Admittedly, the flash 10 demo online was what convinced me to purchase the N900. It may be a poor excuse, but it was the thing that gave me a sense that the device would have support for sometime to come. At this point, I do feel a little lied to. Although I have not seen anywhere that Nokia would support flash 10 on Maemo. It does come across a little disengenuous to me that flash 10 would be demonstragted on a phone that won't have the software available to it's users.

Again I digress... It is hard to find the perfect smartphone/tablet that does everything you need from it. So I guess when you have lemons, make lemonade...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topdavis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
No no, topdavis, you didn't digress enough...the topic is: "Next phone after N900", it's not about your current N900.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i'll have a look at the droid 2 - looks fantastic but afaik it doesnt come with 32 gigs. though i dont want to buy a new device already.

i thought of going back to samsung, but they dont have a proper device with a hardwarekeyboard.

maybe the meego-device will be nice too, but after the n900 i'm really not sure if i'm taking that risk again anytime soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
No no, topdavis, you didn't digress enough...the topic is: "Next phone after N900", it's not about your current N900.
Give him another month without Flash 10. If he wants to stay a fanboi he'll switch back to the E90 and pony up for Symvpn.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarcastic_Twit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Is it possible that Gingerbread will have a "Full" browser like Micro B on the N900? Android seems like the only other OS that will be running on slideout QWERTY form factor phone besides BB 6.0. Phone manufacturers seem so stubborn to the idea of high-end phones having slideout keyboards...I just don't see the justification...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Is it possible that Gingerbread will have a "Full" browser like Micro B on the N900?
Built in? I truly doubt it. Stuff like Dolphin exists now though... and that's based off of the Mozilla. But... dunno. Gingerbread might get Chrome (I hope not).

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
For example if the "N9" had a 12mp camera, Xenon flash, 1.3ghz processor, 1gb ram, 1gb rom, 32gb HD, 4in Super AMOLED capacitive screen, Penta band 3G, a 1500mah battery and 4row qwerty keyboard I would soo pay $750 for it.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
I don't want to exchange my computer N900 for a phone. I'll go stay with it until a new MeeGo device with resistive screen will come to the stage. I think it means forever, because nowadays all want capacitive (iPhone-like), but I don't know how to switch pages on this site (among others) with a finger.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm avoiding Nokia at all cost! Got the hardware but go no support and apps = FAILED!

It needs all elements to make me buy it. Iphone4 is very close!! But still a little on the edge of what I need.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post: