Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
I would pay if i could, but i dont wanna get a card just because of neopwn

From the NeoPwn store (emphasis mine):
Those that choose to support this project with the Amazon purchase will personally receive a unique download link of the control panel ui and a binary patched, injection driver for wl1251, repository access, private Redmine project (wiki, forum, bug tracker) access, and filesystem image. The driver patches will be released as soon as the goal is met for covering the expenses for the development, which totals 1350 EUR.
Since they're referring to it as a patched driver, not a newly written one, it seems like it uses GPLed code from wl12xx; if this is the case, I don't see how a binary release without accompanying source (assuming they don't get 1350EUR by the 28th) is legally possible. I hope I'm just misunderstanding something...

I certainly don't mind people trying to make a buck to recover their development costs, or even to profit beyond that -- but you've gotta do it legally. I had already preordered a microSD, with the assumption that driver source would be included, but at this point I'm not going to repreorder or donate until this legal issue is clarified.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Very good concern. Hopefully the developer will reply with an answer.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Since they're referring to it as a patched driver, not a newly written one, it seems like it uses GPLed code from wl12xx; if this is the case, I don't see how a binary release without accompanying source (assuming they don't get 1350EUR by the 28th) is legally possible.
Maybe they meant a "binary patcheR"?

Supliying a a patcher that either works against a file or memory at runtime would probably be a way to circumvent GPL in this case.

Or maybe don't... just guessing.

Anyway I think it would be cleaner and better in the long run to have the gui as the copyrighted component and all the rest open and maintained by the community.

I thought I read that once they have gotten 1350EUR they are going to realece it as the final and free product.

Ya, good point about the GPL.

I can't find it now but I read a forums post from a guy who claimed to be the one who wrote the injection patch for neopwn. It went something like....

......Yes injection is possible. I wrote a driver patch for injection but I can't give it to you because I wrote it for the neopwn guys. You'll have to wait for them to release it first......

I think it also stated that the neopwn guys Paid him to write the driver patch. Which is cool

Last edited by echoblack; 2010-08-18 at 04:20.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Support the project!
Help support the free project with a little something
Total to date: $160.00

Please don't support this bs of a project. Its a free project as much as windows is free -.-

Not only that he requires 40$ PER IMAGE to get,but he also wants donations ? And he calls it free?!?

Sorry for my anger burst but this is just ridicilous ...

Last edited by Unhuman; 2010-08-19 at 09:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unhuman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Unhuman View Post
Support the project!

Please don't support this bs of a project. Its a free project as much as windows is free -.-

Not only that he requires 40$ PER IMAGE to get,but he also wants donations ? And he calls it free?!?

It's not free as beer.....

Originally Posted by Unhuman View Post
Support the project!

So summing it up:

- First the author promises to release under GPL "shortly before BH".
- After the date arrives, he changes his mind saying "there is no reliable way to install this thing". Therefore, no release. BUT!
- He also tries to lie about promising a release date, removing the announcement from his site, even though many other places had already cached the entry. Even a poster in this forum repeated it here.
- As if it hadn't been enough, he then says that he is now going to *sell* (no GPL release anymore for the moment, but he again promises GPL in the future) this thing together with an SD card (presumably because he's trying to be consistent with his claim about not having a reliable way to install).
- Starts to receive payments for a while, only to suddenly let a lot of people down AGAIN. This time no reason given. BUT!
- He now says he is providing a download link at some point in future (all of the sudden the "unreliable way to install" is not a problem?), IF! he reaches some monetary goal.

is this $(bad word of choice here) for real?

There has to be some respect towards the community. People can't be going around spreading lies to presumably achieve who knows what kind of fraudulent scheme.

What if people made commitments counting on the author's fraudulent promises? (I mean he started to receive MONEY for this thing, their "this is free software" argument does not hold anymore) what if someone bought this hardware counting on being able to install this driver? only to end up being played a fool by this person? of course each one is responsible about their actions, I am just wondering who accounts this guy responsible for his lies?

In my country you know what we say to people like the author?

Get your driver and roll it up, pretty well rolled up, and shove it up your shirt's pocket.

...of course, that is because we are not a "litigious society" like the US, IANAL, but could all of this be suable?...

I mean, someone publishes: "pay me money, I will send you an SD card with software on it". He gets your money, *possibly* getting some earnings out of it, and then gives it back to you after some time, saying: oops, sorry, I cant give you what I promised. I am giving your money back, but pay me again through this other means, I will send you a link to the software at some point in the future. He gets your money again, presumably getting more earnings out of it, and then again gives it back to you. Maybe giving another excuse who knows. Rinse and repeat at nauseam. All this time he uses your money abusing your trust.

The "neopwn scheme" ... you gotta admit...sick ...

just my 2 cents.
PS: Could all these posts backing up the author have been made by the same person? I mean, even the "alleged" driver author who now removed his post? oh my... Identity theft? plot thickens.

I trust what i see, but aircrack-ng is a reliable source uh?
http://aircrack-ng.blogspot.com/2010...gust-2010.html

Let's see what happens on August 28th, 2010. Some members here should get a mail with the download links...
According to the website the driver is binary patched.
(source: http://www.neopwn.com/store.php)

here a full quote just in case the website changes...
Pre-release Option (Private Beta)
Important Notice!

Due to issues with our previous merchant provider, we will only be offering a pre-release download of the private beta version of NeoPwn v2 via Amazon Payments. The proceeds from this will go to covering the expenses of our developer (who has written the injection patches for wl1251) and the other expenses incurred for hosting the files. These expenses are not cheap, and for this project to progress into a public release, we must cover them (since support otherwise has been marginal).

We will not be able to fulfill the pre-release on preloaded microSD due to time constraints as the pre-release is nearly finished. This means you will assume all responsibility for formatting and installing to the microSD storage medium if you choose to install.

Those that choose to support this project with the Amazon purchase will personally receive a unique download link of the control panel ui and a binary patched, injection driver for wl1251, repository access, private Redmine project (wiki, forum, bug tracker) access, and filesystem image. The driver patches will be released as soon as the goal is met for covering the expenses for the development, which totals 1350 EUR.

Your contributions will help this effort!

The download links will be sent out on August 28th, 2010, if this is not acceptable do not place an order!