Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I'm just afraid people will not understand what vanilla MeeGo is and how it operates. Some people will say 'wow, finally, totally open and Free stuff, cool !', while others will say 'it is crap, where's my Flash X and Ovi Maps Y !' (even though these are likely to be available via hacks).
Yes, I completely agree.
But actually, my guess is that the Flash binary could be just copy-pasted from somewhere.

Also, I have no problems with not having non-free software by default, as long as the description about how to install them will be there.
(Just like with Fedora, for example.)

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-08-19 at 11:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
In someways I agree with that sentiment, but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer the FOSS alternatives that I'm sure the community will thrive around and create.

I'd much prefer a continuously evolving platform with community support than corp. run services.
This is the real way forward and probably the most striking comment from you i ever seen !.

IF only this community could get it together grab it by the balls and work hand in hand as a team... SCREW NOKIA ! this is the way to go.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
There will be no ball grabbing, this isn't an Apple show.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
There is one REAL answer to all this, Nokia either buy up a manufacturer or start their own in whatever country offers the best solutions.

The most successful company will one that is dependent on nobody and can self produce everything from start to finish so really it is all down to investment.
Yeah..that doesn't happen often in the real world. At least for any company that works in large operations. And in companies that do that have lots and lots of money. More than what Nokia has. Probably even Apple too. So who are they going get the money from? You? And as a result that's the way the world is (closed source drivers in the name of intellectual property).

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
As I said in my post, we're actively upstreaming the kernel drivers (as they're open source) so they're also maintained in the main kernel ecosystem.

In addition to that, we have to maintain N900 in MeeGo as a reference device and we do update to newer kernels.. I mean, we did a .28 -> .33 -> .34 -> .35 already. It gets easier each time as more and more code is in upstream..
But what happens when N900 is no longer the reference device?

I'm just afraid people will not understand what vanilla MeeGo is and how it operates. Some people will say 'wow, finally, totally open and Free stuff, cool !', while others will say 'it is crap, where's my Flash X and Ovi Maps Y !' (even though these are likely to be available via hacks).
As my dad always tells me. People will always complain and you can't please everyone. So don't bother.

My own personal viewpoint is, you buy a device for what it has currently. Not what it may or may not have in the future (unless it's been already promised, like with certain Android handsets being promised an upgrade to 2.1 or 2.2).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Wow, so many comments in here and I don't even know where to begin. Yes, they're moving forward too fast, but then again, so is everyone else right now. And the pace of growth and development is only speeding up. Does that suck for us guys who like to take it at a slightly slower pace? Yeah. Can we do things about it? Well, MeeGo will go a long ways towards satisfying the needs of both the new user as well as the legacy user as well. Does it suck getting dumped by Nokia after 6 months because some shiny new toy is out? Yes. Do I blame them? Given the current market, no. So if you want someone to blame for the speed at which the market is moving forward, blame the end users. They're the ones that are constantly crying "More, better, newer, shinier!" and the companies are complying. If that attitude goes away, then things will settle into a more manageable product cycle again.

The only problem with that is, I don't think it ever will, and this is something I *DO* blame Nokia for. But not just them, as there are thousands of others all engaged in the same pattern of promoting that same destructive "More, better, newer, shinier" mentality. And yes, I call it destructive. It destroys the environment (lots of E-waste), destroys pocket books, lives, companies, etc. It's good in the fact that we're getting technology to a level where it needs to be. But we're leaving a lot of carnage and collateral damage along the way. Far more than we should.

personally "More, better, newer, shinier!" comes realetivily more from the company not the user.They propaganda their products and in fact their product is not matched to the words.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pursueky For This Useful Post:
Propaganda is probably the right word to use and Nokia are very guilty of that among others of course but really all that matters is for the next year or so we get community support where Nokia has faied us.

And let us just hope Nokia learn a BIG lesson from this and venture much more carefully before selling us a bummer and Nokia... what makes a BUMMER is a product YOU dont support and i think this one holds the record so far !.

NB Please no one have the gaul to say Nokia supports cos you will probably be bitten!.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk
!.
This. Why?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
while others will say 'it is crap, where's my Flash X and Ovi Maps Y !' (even though these are likely to be available via hacks).
I guess the last part won't happen. Especially for maps. There will be a DRM system for media and applications at the next Harmattan Device and hence at Meego, too. And I'm sure Nokia will use this system to protect their own software.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
When there is DRM there will be people to break it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This. Why?
?

THAT Why?.