Active Topics

Hi,

I am new in DGPS but anyway:

Is there any possibility to implement DGPS feature somehow to N900,
does it need some extra hw component or is it possible to
improve N900's "poor" GPS quality with some (GTK+) algorithm ?

I here refer to discussion held in thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=11523&page=2

Another question:
Is DGPS feature coming to some future phones - Meego ?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
First, lets quit using words like 'poor' - it says to me quite loudly that you have no understanding of GPS at all - you are just trying to get a rise out of people. The GPS chip in the N900 is as accurate as any other unassisted GPS on the market.

Differential GPS absolutely requires additional hardware. Quite a lot of it. Depending on where you live in the world you may already have this infrastructure available to you as a public utility. The task becomes significantly easier if you do, however it will still be quite an interesting challenge to get the corrections from the DGPS and on to your N900.

On the N900 itself you'll more than likely have to roll your own code to process the positional differences, but you have access to the GPS data so it's only a bit of math in your way at that point. I would suggest you make google your friend and seek out 'GPS algorithms' for some light reading.

And please, do the same for GTK, it is not what you seem to think it is.

Your other question: No.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-13 at 09:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
What is method to see raw GPS data on the N900? Perhaps something from the command-line?

Thanks dchky

BR,
memodevelopper

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
[...] however it will still be quite an interesting challenge to get the corrections from the DGPS and on to your N900.
DGPS-IP might be the way to go there, possibly?

Regards,
Chris.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ troll cave
if you can't access the raw gps satellite distance data, you can't do DGPS. See this for explanation:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/poordgps.htm