Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
My understanding is that all computers that are plugged into a ungrounded plug (meaning it doesn't have the third wire), have half the voltage that comes from the wall on the chassis (here it's 230V so about 115V on the chassis), but amperage is almost nonexistant so you can get small shock. This is due to how power supplies work. Of course this causes the same to all devices plugged into the computer.

[edit] Good explanation on the leak current.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/p...ounded_pc.html
Typically when your computer is connected to ungrounde 230V AC power source you have 115V AC on the case of your computer ! This is caused by the leakage current capacitors inside the mais filter.
This voltage itself is not dangerous, because the current is limited (around 0.5 mA maximum). If you touch your computer you might feel some tickeling in your fingers when you move your hand because of the potential in the case. This can be annoyning and even little painful if you touch something which is connected to ground at the same time (not recommended for your safety).

Last edited by DeeGee; 2010-08-29 at 20:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
dont worry, I was hit by the lightning some 3 weeks ago and n900 were in my pocket. I'm still alive so as my n900
That kind of shock would hardly cause any harm to me. I a not concerned about it. All I am concerned about is my N900 does'nt get affected by it