Originally Posted by Hedgecore
JMills,

Absolutely. I'm sorry if that rubbed anyone the wrong way. Please feel free to either send me the information via private message here or if you're up for it you can edit the Wiki entry as you see fit.

Naw, no grumps... just wanted to add some clarity since we (VMware) currently have two Ubuntu Linux 5.10 based images available... one of the is the Browser Appliance, the other is a more generalized virtual machine built by Canonical themselves.

I'll try and get you the edits before the end of the weekend.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by JMills
Naw, no grumps... just wanted to add some clarity since we (VMware) currently have two Ubuntu Linux 5.10 based images available... one of the is the Browser Appliance, the other is a more generalized virtual machine built by Canonical themselves.

Feel like making an uber-small Linux VM that will give the user options to set R&D, USB Host, or get the latest firmware and upgrade?

I found the larger Ubuntu 5.1 image to be somewhat size limited to hold the development environment. I managed to install all the dev tools after I removed a bunch of the open office apps. I second Daniel's request and would like to add one:

1. Per Daniel: A very small command line environment for flashing and upgrading
2. Larger X-windowed environment for development

I don't have a full VMware license so can't generate a #2 myself, but a more basic version of Ubuntu without all those apps (but keep some games, eh?) plus the dev environment would be great.

Oh, and kudos to VMware for releasing the VMware Player! It's a pretty bold move but sure gets virtualization into many hands.

Originally Posted by JMills
First pass sent via Forum PM. Hopefully all of my annotations make sense.

When I try to run this command, I am prompted for a password. Anyone know why? I followed all of the instructions to the letter.

12.) In the terminal again, type the following (Linux commands are case sensitive!):

Quote:
sudo root ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot

You should now receive a message that the device is in R&D mode.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It's a security feature: it's asking for your user account's password so that if anyone got access to your terminal whilst you were away from your desk, they couldn't get super-user privileges without knowing your password.

This isn't documented in the Wiki. What is the password? When I ran VMWare and loaded Ubuntu, it didn't ask me to create an account or setup a password.

OK, I think I played around and got past the password issue but now I'm getting "Suitable USB device not found, waiting" and it never finds the 770.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) Switch off the Nokia 770
2) Unplug it from a charger
3) Connect it to your computer via USB directly
4) execute ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot
5) "Suitable USB device not found, waiting" is displayed on the console
6) Switch on the 770 using the power button while holding down the home button

The "Nokia Mobile Phones USB Device" is displayed on the title bar.

Last edited by Biomech; 2006-01-21 at 23:36.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Click on the 'Nokia Mobile Phone USB Device', it's a button. That oughtta tell Ubuntu it's there... I believe. Otherwise, edit the wiki! That's what it's there for

Clicking on that button ejects or safely disconnects the 770. If I am ever able to get this to work, I will update the wiki.

Click on the 'Nokia Mobile Phone USB Device', it's a button. That oughtta tell Ubuntu it's there... I believe. Otherwise, edit the wiki! That's what it's there for