Active Topics

I've tried N900 and Galaxy S, and liked both for different reasons, but yet to get either one. Just hoping N9 will combine the better parts of both and more, so I'll keep waiting..!

The problem I have with my N900 is very often it rings with a blank screen so there is no way to answer it. It might work if I can guess where the green answer button is I don't know. But I would not want that anyway as I won't want to answer without seeing who is calling.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by scooterx517 View Post
So i got a Galaxy S
So who cares?

Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
I must be doing something wrong...I've had the N900 since December and haven't missed a call yet! Maybe I'm just stupid!
Yeah, me too!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's quite a few things you can do to expand your phone's performance. There's a lag fix, I'm using the EXT4 version, but EXT2 is even faster. The GPS fixes are forthcoming and the 2.2 Froyo firmware has "leaked" but I heard it was problematic in its current form. So steer clear.
Thanks gerbick...am watching out for the Froyo (official)

My experiences on the phone and android...have been a N900 basher while using it but understood its utility once I switched to android.

Some of the things I miss and keep switching back to my N900
a) Integrated contacts,accounts & availability - SIP/Skype/Facebook/Gtalk etc. Yet to find an app in the 'android market'
b) Full browsing with pure multitasking - miss adobe flash and thus forced to look at mobile contents...hmm I hate that. Minimising windows and being sure that I dont need to refresh unlike android [ have to keep refreshing the browser]
c) LED flash...SGS has a better camera or possibly a better display that makes the snaps look better. Had to take couple of snaps in the dark yesterday and the n900 came handy with the flashlight application for my SGS.
d) Closing an app....not needing to install an 'app for closing apps' and instead of X to close
e) Multimedia....TV out on the N900 to watch movies (although works on the SGS for some, doesnt work out for me)...FM transmitter in my car and forgetting abt cable & Aux. N900 wld play any video and have had cases where the SGS cldnt play some but the N900 cld.
f) No angrybirds for android...was surprised myself the amount of time, I was playing that game

And not all is bad with the SGS,
a) Hardware is great, slim & definiteky lighter than the brick in your pocket. Glossy looks but all the shiny stuff has made it slippery. Could have dropped it twice.
b) Exchange /Calendar/Tasks sync works great,
c) hundreds of apps very few with utility but more to kill your time,
d) bigger screen so better display and better ebook reading. (You know TMO looks much better on the SGS than the N900)
e) Faster UI, maybe because of the higher specs
f) Better phone functionality including listing Call duration
g) Better music player and capability to create/mod playlists the straight way.

A bit disappointed that Nokia didnt market the true potential by taking the platform through & attract developers. Nokia cld have done much better considering the maemo 5 in its 3rd major release has much to offer compared to the 6th major release of android (not sure,assume so)

Anyway, hope Meego wld carry forward all the goodwork of Maemo 5 and perhaps there wld be a day when meego wld be ported to the SGS....a tall task... but wish it wld be true.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcarlos For This Useful Post:
i would try to answer calls and the stupid thing would keep flipping the screen landscape and portrait. I'd hit the answer button and it wouldnt register because the cpu was trying to figure out how to flip the screen again.
Turn that feature off:

Phone -> Turning control -> Display orientation
  • Portrait
  • Landscape
  • Automatic
Don't choose the third one.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
f) No angrybirds for android...was surprised myself the amount of time, I was playing that game
Angry birds is coming to android very, very soon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp-7FB61hq0

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Turn that feature off:

Phone -> Turning control -> Display orientation
  • Portrait
  • Landscape
  • Automatic
Don't choose the third one.
even if auto is off the phone rings and i hit answer then the screen turns off try to unlock the phone screen turns on go to hit answer screen turns off. Its like trying to play wack a mole with the answer button sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to scooterx517 For This Useful Post:
Its a better phone...stop no flames, i said phone. It rings I can answer havent missed a call yet, missed so many calls with the N900 screen fliping, and when the cpu was busy. As a multimedia device they both have ups and downs.

I was thinking about getting rid of the N900, but its making a great media center for my living room. Pandora with unlimited skips FTW!
I bought Galaxy S too month ago but i didn't make useless thread about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i bought today a few beers and im really happy with it.
its a beer with internet function,not a internet function with beer.
i hope i can update it to beer 2.3 soon....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
now when i type a keyword with "n900" Samsung Galaxy S pops out of search result.........*YAWN*

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;