Notices

Since I couldn't find the answer in this thread I'll try asking again - When I backup a game unto the PS3's HDD, which format does it save it in?

Also about the pirating thing - here's my view on it:
1. Say you bought a game and you backed it up. You lost the disc/it broke and your HDD died. I think it wouldn't be that bad to download an image of the game you own(ed).
2. This is to the people who get screwed by VAT and additional countries that have extra taxes - When you spent all your money on hardware and don't have enough for the software IMO it's okay to pirate once in a while.
Obviously there's a counter argument - if you bought a car and can't afford gas would you steal some? Well, it's wrong, I'd never do it but I can't somewhat understand people who do because gas prices are ridiculously high for idiotic reasons (don't be fooled, there's no terrible fuel shortage like the news leads you to believe)

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ behind your firewall
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
i think it only works on 3.41.....

thanks, i'll wait if there's something for 3.15.

Originally Posted by percypogi View Post
thanks, i'll wait if there's something for 3.15.
that will be one long wait

anyway, which backup manager do you guys recommend?

Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
Since I couldn't find the answer in this thread I'll try asking again - When I backup a game unto the PS3's HDD, which format does it save it in?

Also about the pirating thing - here's my view on it:
1. Say you bought a game and you backed it up. You lost the disc/it broke and your HDD died. I think it wouldn't be that bad to download an image of the game you own(ed).
2. This is to the people who get screwed by VAT and additional countries that have extra taxes - When you spent all your money on hardware and don't have enough for the software IMO it's okay to pirate once in a while.
Obviously there's a counter argument - if you bought a car and can't afford gas would you steal some? Well, it's wrong, I'd never do it but I can't somewhat understand people who do because gas prices are ridiculously high for idiotic reasons (don't be fooled, there's no terrible fuel shortage like the news leads you to believe)
1) from what i understand, the game rips into a folder structure, so there is no "format" - this concept is backed up by the ripping process, where you can see the files are all being backed up one by one. what im saying is, the disc's files arent saved as an image file, but rather just directly copied into the same folder trees as they are on the disc.

2) if you own a disc and it breaks, it doesnt justify piracy. backing up software in itself is illegal, in pretty much every country - anything with copy protection on it (dvd's, cd's, games) cant be circumvented. anything without copy protection youre usually okay to copy, but in this case, youre not.

to say you can pirate because you pay taxes is a joke, IMO. your statement is like saying "everyone gets stressed, its okay to let out some steam once in a while by assaulting someone with a baseball bat". also, no, there is no fuel shortage, but the high prices are more a reflection of society's (read: people in high places) ethical desire to cut down on the use of fossil fuels.

finally, just because i dont agree with what you said, doesnt mean i will never pirate. at the end of the day, if you have to justify downloading something to other people, youre doing it for the wrong reasons. the only person you need to give you the "ok" to pirate is yourself. whether or not you get busted, though, is another thing

Originally Posted by Tiptronic View Post
that will be one long wait

anyway, which backup manager do you guys recommend?
i have just been using the stealth MW2 backup manager, although ive heard of a sonic superstar tennis and PJ monsters demo version. you tell me whats more obvious to sony, though...a large number of people playing the PJM demo, or a large number of people playing MW2? hmm....

oh and also, ive been playing with no internet connected, and on a different user profile..you never know. haha. although ive hardly run my backup manager at all...still too early to be flogging it.

Last edited by tom047; 2010-09-06 at 14:49.

This method is slick and awesome but I am afraid of getting my $500 device banned by Sony. Do you think I can hack it and remove traces of hacking if I format the HDD later on?

flydeep: possibly, if you dont play anything online. not sure what the console stores while offline or where it stores it. your best bet is to wait a couple of weeks, til a bit more is known about how the whole thing works.

The Following User Says Thank You to tom047 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Tom, I have been thinking the same and waiting for a while before I do the hack. It is hard to resist when you have everything you need at hand but end up waiting.

Looks like our N900 beat it to punch among all devices out there and it is a good feeling

The system will not go online with the hack and I haven't updated my OS in a while. I am think that formatting the HDD will revert it to factory default condition but that coming from someone who is familiar with PS3 hardware will be nice.

Originally Posted by tom047 View Post
flydeep: possibly, if you dont play anything online. not sure what the console stores while offline or where it stores it. your best bet is to wait a couple of weeks, til a bit more is known about how the whole thing works.

Originally Posted by tom047 View Post
1) from what i understand, the game rips into a folder structure, so there is no "format" - this concept is backed up by the ripping process, where you can see the files are all being backed up one by one. what im saying is, the disc's files arent saved as an image file, but rather just directly copied into the same folder trees as they are on the disc.

2) if you own a disc and it breaks, it doesnt justify piracy. backing up software in itself is illegal, in pretty much every country - anything with copy protection on it (dvd's, cd's, games) cant be circumvented. anything without copy protection youre usually okay to copy, but in this case, youre not.

to say you can pirate because you pay taxes is a joke, IMO. your statement is like saying "everyone gets stressed, its okay to let out some steam once in a while by assaulting someone with a baseball bat".
Well first of all thanks for the answer.

Secondly, just for the sake of argument - It's not because I pay taxes, it's because of the end result - ending up paying twice (sometimes even more) as much as people in, say, the US pay for it. I think it's just plain unfair for regular consumer joes.

Also I really don't get the baseball analogy. Doesn't really make sense in that context. Physical harm =\= stealing since it's a much more severe crime because nothing can really justify it.

Anyway, holding out till MohammadAG to release his app for the hack - It's going to be awesome!

how can i run the backuped games? please help since when i try to load the backcedup game it jus goes back to the ps3 menu screen..

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by Juanma9 View Post
how can i run the backuped games? please help since when i try to load the backcedup game it jus goes back to the ps3 menu screen..
When it goes back to the xmb it should show the disc of the backed up game that you selected. You can then launch it.