Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As for hackers, Apple is working hard to counter them with antagonistic firmware updates. Hmmm... is it the same with the tablets...?
I think the main difference is that Apple does this on purpose...

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
AAAAAW Maaaan! Cmon! Have u ever heard bout FB Reader? It can show u text in any way u want. Vice-versa, landscape, portrait, peisage, any u like xD

Fact is that reading anything on an N800 in portrait mode is asking for eye problems. Unless of course you LIKE scrolling from side to side.

I also was trying to choose between an N800 and the iPod Touch. I went with the N800 because it does all of the following things that the Touch doesn't, and for much cheaper:

-Flash and Java in the browser
-Chat programs: Skype, Gaim, Pidgin, Google Talk
-Bluetooth
-GPS if you buy a bluetooth GPS receiver
-Stardict (multilingual dictionary with scroll-over lookup)
-Support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean character display and input (this was the biggest one for me)

Even though I don't know how to program or hack anything, so I'm not using it to its full extent, I'm still getting a lot of functionality out of this thing--it's like a budget UMPC. If I just wanted a new iPod with a sleek look and some bonus web-browsing features, I would have definitely gotten the Touch, but the N800 is more like a pocket-sized laptop replacement for me when I go traveling, to the coffee shop, to the library, etc.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
As for hackers, Apple is working hard to counter them with antagonistic firmware updates. Hmmm... is it the same with the tablets...?
I think the main difference is that Apple does this on purpose...
Whereas Nokia does it ineptly as a matter of course. Check out the number of threads relating to problems ascribed to the latest firmware update.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The point is well understood, Karel and Rebski, but IMO intent is very important here. Ineptitude is really not hard to fix in this case and in fact progress has been made in many areas. That will continue to be the case.

On the other hand, deliberate intent to lock out many third party developers is not so easily overcome. It is a philosophy on Apple's part that is deeply ingrained. I don't see that changing any time soon, and my point about hacker success still stands.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The point is well understood, Karel and Rebski, but IMO intent is very important here. Ineptitude is really not hard to fix in this case and in fact progress has been made in many areas. That will continue to be the case.

On the other hand, deliberate intent to lock out many third party developers is not so easily overcome. It is a philosophy on Apple's part that is deeply ingrained. I don't see that changing any time soon, and my point about hacker success still stands.
That is why my gadget closet has a non-zero number of Nokia Internet tablets and a zero number of Apple stuff.[*]

There is a (however distinct) possibility that stupid can be cured by teaching. Evil however, cannot be taught away.

____

[*] Yes, yes, I have two Newtons. I don't count them as Apple stuff for two reasons:
1. They are both of the somewhat rare, non-Apple-branded variety and
2. Jobs hates them.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
We all accept the obvious distinctions in intent. However the hackers are more effective in circumventing Apple’s restrictions than Nokia is in dealing with N800 issues. So I would have more confidence in Apple hackers maintaining and enhancing the functionality of my device then I have in Nokia.

I hope it is only a matter of time before we get a MID with the hardware appeal of the iTouch which will attract the same level of hacker attention.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
We all accept the obvious distinctions in intent. However the hackers are more effective in circumventing Apple’s restrictions than Nokia is in dealing with N800 issues. So I would have more confidence in Apple hackers maintaining and enhancing the functionality of my device then I have in Nokia.
I would venture to say that actually remains to be seen, and is also sujective to a large degree. AFAIK there has only been one iPhone firmware update so far as a response to hacking so I think comparisons are premature. And given Apple's strong desire to maintain control, I don't see hackers "maintaining and enhancing" much of anything on iPhones and iPods for long; I'm betting Apple continually pulls the rug out from under them, rendering any outsider progress unsustainable.

I also think that while Nokia was slow to respond in many ways, recent months have seen significant overtures made to both casual users and developers. This will continue... which means Apple and Nokia are coming at this subject from very diverse angles.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Fact is that reading anything on an N800 in portrait mode is asking for eye problems. Unless of course you LIKE scrolling from side to side.
FBReader wraps text, there's never any sideways scrolling involved.

I find reading an ebook on the 770 a more comfortable and pleasant experience then a paperback - a flat, clear, illuminated page (although if I was in bright sunlight it would be another matter).

I just read this entire thread and am missing the point.

Seems to me the iPod Touch is a media player that can also surf the web and now allows you to buy music from your couch or a wifi hotspot rather than sitting in front of your PC.

Now, I L-O-V-E my 60gb iPod video. I love it for it's ease of use and storage capacity. Watching video on it is a nice plus, but I use it rarely since the screen is so small and I really don't feel like re-encoding video just to watch it on a tiny screen. I DO subscribe to some video podcasts in iTunes so when I feel like riding the stationary bike at the gym, I can enjoy some quick hit video clips.

An 8gb or 16gb capacity on my media player is not acceptable though. Apple has spoiled me with my 60gb.

Mind you, I just ordered my n800 (end of life product or not), so I have not yet even played with it, but I did have my 770 for a while.

The IT certainly does fit the "Jack of all trades, master of none" category, but the operative idea is that it is flexible enough to TRY EVERYTHING.

Someone mentioned above that it fits a niche market very well, and this rings true. Buy it as a media player, you'll probably be a little disappointed. Take a few minutes and install Orb on your PC however, and see how disappointing it is to enjoy ALL of the media stting on your PC from any WiFi hotspot or w/ your cellphone data plan. It does not suck.

Yes, the IT can be frustrating at times. Apple DOES make products that JUST WORK is also true. But they just work because they are built to do specific things w/ very specific hardware that works well together. This is one reason they fight the thrid party thing and hacks so viciously. Start tinkering w/ a sterile environment and it all goes downhill (anoyone see Biodome?).

Internet Tablet OS is meant to be hacked. BUT if you just use the included apps, your stability will certainly rival that of the iPod touch or iPhone. Yes, certain installed apps on the IT cause issues at times. There are issues w/ the iStuff too. Oh yeah, the iPod that I lovingly use every day? I have to reset it 3 times a week. Really not a big deal. But I shouldn't have to do that either.

If you want something that will play your media files well (provided they are in the correct format), get the Apple product (or an Archos wifi).

If you want an electronic Swiss Army knife, get the Nokia. You will at times LOVE it and at times HATE it (most likely because YOU screwed something up).

p.s. Neither of these devices can brew a decent cup of coffee. My $99 Cuisinart beats them both hands down.