Notices

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
(quickflickr) is a QtQuick based Flickr client, today i decided to give it a try after it made it to extras-testing repo. and i wasn't disappointed at all!

I don't care about or use flickr whatsoever, what amazed me is the browser it uses to authorize and link your flickr account. And you can actually go beyond that and browse the whole flickr website.

It's incredibly fast, responsive, has very smooth kinetic scrolling (far better than microB), and strangely i didn't notice any pixel tearing while scrolling due to the lack of vSync. The only thing it's missing is a back/reload button, and a text field for inputting web address.

The app is open source afaik, so could someone modify the code and make it a full blown web browser?

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nomad
I was playing around and made a browser for reddit mobile in python with webkit, it had some issues but was quite fast and responsive. Had some packaging problems so never uploaded it, but its definitely possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to realitygaps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Finally some good news You should try the QtQuick browser to know what kind of snappiness/responsiveness i'm talking about.

now that it's possible, i hope someone considers trying to make this come true.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nomad
I'll take a look when I get some time, maybe I can hack something together, not experienced with Qt though...

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I'm using QWebKit in the PSFreedom app, and indeed, Qt's WebKit is quite good, making a browser shouldn't be really hard, the main problem would be the bug with scrolling (easy to fix with Qt/C++, no idea how to do it with PyQt)

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-09-07 at 21:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Paris, France
I made a python version of this fix to the scrolling bug.

You can find it on my github for the GRead project (Google reader application for Maemo and more) :

qwebviewselectionsuppressor.py

BTW i have a real problem with the Qt Webkit when i am on a cellular network, it seems it can't find the network. But it works like a charm with wifi. Any ideas ?

Last edited by Twidi; 2010-09-07 at 19:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
A transparent proxy on the carrier's network perhaps ?...

But i have no problem with other applications. Just applications using qnetwork like the browser on GRead or the whole grr

You have no problem with grr on cellular network ?

No, works fine for me. But proxy support varies from one app to the other, and proxing also varies from one carrier to the other, so some combinations may or may not work :-)

I've heard that in the early days the N900 did not work on SFR at all because its user-agent was not declared on their proxy. What network are you on ?

I'm on Virgin Mobile (Orange), which seems to be about the less troublesome in France...

Last edited by fpp; 2010-09-08 at 08:38.

Yes my network is SFR but the problem with sfr is corrected for many months. But perhaps a user agent problem from qnetwork, i will investigate on this, thank you for your suggestion !