Active Topics

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Is this old news?

Meego OS For Nokia N900 is updated regularly on the MeeGo Wiki for developers. As we all know the Nokia N900 is the first ARM device for Meego and Nokia want to make this the First phone that will get a MeeGo1.1 Update a Document we found on MeeGo WiKi shows the release Stages of the MeeGo1.1 and its Updates from 1.0.9.9 to 1.1.0.0.

MeeGo Development During September is Focusing on 1.0.90 and Begging the Release Candidate of MeeGo 1.0.99 during late September and Early October then a week After, the release candidate 2 and 3 of MeeGo 1.0.99 with the Preparation for the Final Release of the MeeGo 1.1.0.0 on October 21 - 27. Of course, the Nokia N900 will get the Update During that week-Period from Thursday (21/10/10) to Wednesday (27/10/10).

Source

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
well, now that it seems we got a time-frame, i hope we dont get disappointed by pushbacks...
is this official-official?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
I'd suggest the meego forums and pages for a good place for as official as you can get

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...ect-day-1-here

Still suggesting october 2010 - so, pretty accurate!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by msa View Post
well, now that it seems we got a time-frame, i hope we dont get disappointed by pushbacks...
is this official-official?
Well, its sourced from wiki.meego.com - can it be "more official"???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
maybe true but i guess it will be another developer version,and pretty useless for the all day use

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
maybe true but i guess it will be another developer version,and pretty useless for the all day use
It says:
1.0.99.2 2010-10-14--2010-10-20 RTM: MeeGo 1.1 Release candidate 3 (release to marketing, prepare final announces) Details
1.1.0.0 2010-10-21--2010-10-27 GA, RTW: MeeGo 1.1 Release for Core, Netbooks, Handsets, ... (General availability, release to web)
As far as I know, RTM = Release To Manufacture
Version 1.1.0.0 as post Relase Candidate sounds also quite promising...
Have no idea what "GA" and "RTW" stands for, but Iīd say the descriptions donīt sound useless for all day use at all...

EDIT: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

RTM

The term "release to manufacturing" or "release to marketing" (both abbreviated RTM)—also known as "going gold"—is a term used to indicate that the software has reached a point that it is ready to or has been delivered or provided to the customer. It is typically used in certain retail mass-production software contexts - as opposed to a specialized software production or project in a commercial or government production and distribution - where the software is sold as part a bundle in a related computer hardware sale and typically where the software and related hardware is ultimately to be available and sold on mass/public basis at retail stores to indicate that the software has met a defined quality level and is ready for mass retail distribution. RTM could also mean in other contexts that the software has been delivered or released to a client or customer for installation or distribution to the related hardware end user computers or machines. The term does not define the delivery mechanism or volume; it only states that the quality is sufficient for mass distribution. The deliverable from the engineering organization is frequently in the form of a gold master CD used for duplication or to produce the image for the web.

RTM happens prior to general availability (GA) when the product is released to the public.

General availability

General availability or General Acceptance (GA) is the point where all necessary commercialization activities have been completed and the software has been made available to the general market either via the web or physical media.

Commercialization activities could include but are not limited to the availability of media world wide via dispersed distribution centers, marketing collateral is completed and available in as many languages as deemed necessary for the target market, the finishing of security and compliance tests, etc. The time between RTM and GA can be from a week to months in some cases before a generally available release can be declared because of the time needed to complete all commercialization activities required by GA.
BTW, this is how Microsoft celebrates RTM version of Win7 mobile http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadge...717018,00.html
(Sorry, its german, just watch the video ;-) )

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2010-09-13 at 19:41.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
It says:

As far as I know, RTM = Release To Manufacture
Version 1.1.0.0 as post Relase Candidate sounds also quite promising...
Have no idea what "GA" and "RTW" stands for, but Iīd say the descriptions donīt sound useless for all day use at all...

BTW, this is how Microsoft celebrates RTM version of Win7 mobile http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadge...717018,00.html
(Sorry, its german, just watch the video ;-) )
GA = Generally Available
RTW = Release To Web

as it is stated

1.1.0.0 2010-10-21--2010-10-27 GA, RTW: MeeGo 1.1 Release for Core, Netbooks, Handsets, ... (General availability, release to web)

The Following User Says Thank You to JayBEE For This Useful Post:
Cooool! Meego 1.1 for my birthday!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That release will just be with the stock MeeGo Handset UX, not the Nokia Handset UX - the stock MeeGo Handset UX is pretty uninspiring.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
That release will just be with the stock MeeGo Handset UX, not the Nokia Handset UX - the stock MeeGo Handset UX is pretty uninspiring.
Ahh always one guy ready to see the turd in the punchbowl.

What you have to keep in mind is the interface is just one part of MeeGo. The underlying OS is the real key. If thats good then the UX is really just sugar coating.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Bratag; 2010-09-13 at 20:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: