Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So... who else is going to buy the Intel MeeGo device instead? :P
Temping Intel MeeGo can run WoW smoother than my PC could

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ever hear of the Peter Principle?
I don't know who this Peter guy is, but I'm talking about you.

I do appreciate your sentiment, but it's not my thing. I'm more artist than businessman by far. I know my limitations, too. Not gonna try to exceed them. I'd rather excel within the realm of practicality and enjoyment.

That said, I would love to return to Nokia in a capacity within my likes and abilities. I don't see it happening. Rumor has it the rapidly-shrinking Dallas office is soon to be gone, and a regime change can easily make that happen. And that will be that for me.
Well, you know how cynical my views are on Nokia ever since they slipped up and fell off the Internet Tablet wagon just to go running into the iPhoney ME-TOO line of wagons. We're all worse off that someone like you isn't there, despite everything you had done. I, for one, am terribly thankful and wouldn't mind seeing that again, but you're probably right.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
"Computers make very fast and accurate mistakes." Somehow this saying popped into my mind when I read what you said. Just saying.

BY THE BY, related to the topic:
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/09/13/...e-nokia-world/

Last edited by danramos; 2010-09-13 at 21:44.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
So Mr 'Fightback starts now' cannot even stay true to his words.
He is leaving after 6 months from now. Do you think he'll be filling pampers next months?

That's a misguided stretch. Elop spending a couple of years at Microsoft in no way translates to Windows 7 on Nokia devices. Where do you guys come up with that sort of craziness?
He also spend a few years at Juniper. Didn't make RIM or Microsoft switch to Juniper.

Seriously, as soon as he leaves Microsoft and joins Nokia he left his Microsoft hat and put on his Nokia hat. He will do what is best in Nokia's interest; not Microsoft's.

For now, Windows Phone has yet to catch up with iOS and Android.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
no way.

But there is some software available...

http://www.masterofwarcraft.net/2010...ile-phone.html
http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...-wow-zjCF.aspx
http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.mangler.android

My GM uses Mangler all the time on his Samsung Galaxy S.

as long as i get a proper meego device i don't care if it's from intel or nokia.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
lol My PC is pretty crap if you ask me. I've seen the preview of the WoW running on it, it's pretty smooth.. it runs full desktop version WoW. I got to say it's quite powerful that Moorestown processor. But playing it won't get you more than 1hour and 20mins of battery time lol.

lol My PC is pretty crap if you ask me. I've seen the preview of the WoW running on it, it's pretty smooth.. it runs full desktop version WoW. I got to say it's quite powerful that Moorestown processor. But playing it won't get you more than 1hour and 20mins of battery time lol.
Hmm, I don't know how good or bad your PC is.

If you mean running WoW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAB-Cqe0yz8 at 2 min? That isn't playing World of Warcraft. That is just playing some video from WoW. She could've shown an XViD and it was the same, but it doesn't sound as impressive.

Nothing like the real thing! Wake me up when there are videos of soloing, 5m party, BG, 10m raid, 25m raid. Preferably at decent settings.

Although your phone probably runs at a lower resolution than your PC controlling the game will also be a challenge, since I have to import all my settings from PC to MBP and then circumvent the fact I have only 1 or 2 mouse buttons. For phone or tablet will be even more complex.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So... who else is going to buy the Intel MeeGo device instead? :P
The Intel MeeGo device will have an Atom processor, and will require being shutdown (suspend-to-ram or such) to last all day without charging, just like my Fujitsu U820. It will also likely have a much worse screen and no better pocketability, and a moderate performance boost -- and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's no keyboard, since everyone seems to think knocking off the iPad is the way to win. If they really pull it together and making something that unambiguously beats my U820, I have no problem buying it, but at this point it seems far more likely that the GMA500 driver situation gets resolved and I just run MeeGo on the U820.

(The U820 is, in my eyes, very much the same sort of pinnacle in the UMPC/netbook arena that the N800 is in the non-phone tablet arena -- the competition's getting newer and faster, but somehow none of them can quite beat it all 'round. 3-4 years is an eternity, but the N800 is still hanging on, and I bet the U820 will as well.)

Nokia's device, OTOH, may be late and somewhat lacking in performance, but will definitely be pocketable, making it a plausible replacement for my N900. It will probably also not run all day (but it'll be "slim" ), but at least the solution will be use it less (but not shut it down), and I'm betting (from N810 and N900) it will soon have an aftermarket double-capacity battery to fix that. Since (at least once the aftermarket battery comes out) this will be an unambiguous upgrade over the N900, it's reasonably likely I'll buy it at some point, unless someone else turns out a better MeeGo pocketable.

And AFAICT the only way this news affects the MeeGo-Harmattan device is a possible delay due to reorganization -- certainly it would seem odd if someone was going to buy a Nokia device, but a couple month delay would force them to choose a completely different form-factor even though they know the device they would have bought is still coming...

See, just because Nokia and Intel have realized how much common ground there is in the software that runs on phones/PDAs/(little)tablets and on netbooks/umpcs/(big)tablets doesn't mean that Nokia will suddenly become a netbook company (yeah, I know about the Booklet, and it has nothing to do with Nokia's MeeGo team), or Intel will become a phone company -- they've collaborated on the areas that make sense and remain entirely distinctive in the areas where they differ. As it happens, I am a customer in both markets, but not for the same device -- the only sense in which I would buy one device "instead" of the other is if I wanted both, but couldn't afford them.

Ok, that was quite a wall-o-text -- sorry guys....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Nokia released Symbian to an open source foundation, and even though they bought Trolltech for Qt, they are moving to open governance for it.
Despite having these things open source, they still pay for the developers who are creating these.
So, while it's nice that I (or anyone) can mess with the source if we wanted to, but they still own it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
what the hell does he have on his face?