Active Topics

slightly off topic but still worthy of posting here. Do you know if the battery itself can be damaged by water.

I dropped my phone in the toilet and has been sent off fore repair by Vodafone but they said to keep the battery.

I am concerned that the phone will be fixed but i could now have a faulty battery

Originally Posted by Neegs View Post
slightly off topic but still worthy of posting here. Do you know if the battery itself can be damaged by water.

I dropped my phone in the toilet and has been sent off fore repair by Vodafone but they said to keep the battery.

I am concerned that the phone will be fixed but i could now have a faulty battery
chances are yoru battery is toast!!!! hate to be the barer of bad news. you battery was supplying power at the time it was dropped to the phone i assum so you can chalk it up./

Here is a update in case anyone cares to read it

ok, so i sent it off for repair and nokia decided to simply give me a new phone. included with the phone will be a brand new battery, stylus, and back cover

I asked them to verify that the design flaw with the power port has been fixed and if so how? ( i dont want to run into this same issue again when i am out of the warranty period) after some time of silence they finally said that its basically proprietary info that they can not devluge but she gave me apersonal garruntee !!! that i wouldnt have tyhe same prob again. she says its a known issue and has passed quality assurance. guess i have to simply take there word on this one.

I also asked about the hazy images with the camera. they said this was not a wide spread hardware issue and the software update may have fixed it. Those of us who have this problem know for a fact the the update did nothing of this sort. The representative then told me that if i still have the hazy camera issue to call Nokia back and i may have to send it in for troubleshooting and repair again. if it is still nto resolved they will prob offer another phone or another model even. hopefully i can ride the warranty untill a better device comes out. problem is i dont see one in the near future. I am a maemo5 addict. its too late for a new platform

i was thinking of doing some of the mods to the charger that i read about around here to ensure i dont have this issue again. can anyone give advise on what kind of file to use to grind away the teeth on the charger?

New phone received. they decided to send me a brand spanking new n900!! WOW! now i dont have to spend 60 bucks on a new screen as my old one did have a few scratches on it. ya know what though? i'll e damn if that darn camer aint working better then it did on the old one. sm, now i feel stupid after reading all those threads about it being a issue with tthe back cover as i still have the old back cover with the same cam lense cover on it. not to say that it wasnt a hardware thing to a degree but just point out the new phone has a much improved camera.
anyway, does anyone know what i should be using to file down the teeth on the charger? i really dont want to be in this position again.

for the record, thanks NOKIA if any of you guys are reading this for being professionals and taking care of the situation. i am very impressed. the responsiveness was amazing and the customer service was unlike anything i have ever experienced with nokia in the past. Great JOB!!!

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Would suggest a needle file that isn't too coarse....

Glad you got a new phone, now settle back and enjoy it....

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
i was thinking of doing some of the mods to the charger that i read about around here to ensure i dont have this issue again. can anyone give advise on what kind of file to use to grind away the teeth on the charger?

i just used a nail file to grind the teeth/locks of the charger and usb cable. you wont need a grinder courser than that i suppose. i just ground it until it felt easy to remove. did this as soon as i learned that there might be potential problems with the usb connector..good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to elbttrd For This Useful Post:
@ andraeseus1:

At least spend a few pennies on a wrist strap. The one I got cost just £1.99 and it saved the life of my N95-8GB many times, and it's now doing the same job for my N900.

But having said that, I did bounce my 900 down stairs yesterday. The first thump I thought 'Sh*t!! Their goes my screen' On the second bump I noticed the screen slide open and light up and thought 'At least that's OK, but ****!! Their goes the EMMC'. After the third bump I picked it up and did a full medical check on it and thanked God that the stairs were well carpeted.

I too had a water disaster. Did rice and oven, new battery and it sort of works. If it is not plugged in, it does a 1/2 boot loop; only works to boot with ac power, then disconnect.

But the Wifi is not working at all, even in the room with the AP. Am I missing any settings or tricks to get it working or it is just supposed to work out of the box and the water fried the wifi radio? Is there a hardware self-test?
Thanks.

Yeah it's supposed to "just work".

I'd probably guess that there's corrosion at where the wifi antenna connects to the mainboard.

Half boot would suggest something else wrong too...

If you send your phone in to Nokia to be repaired and they won't repair it because of water damage, do they offer to fix it/replace for a price? Does anyone know how much that is? Or do they just send it back and say, "Sorry." Thanks.