Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and you implicitly know his responsibilities and amount of authority and power to make decisions based on a single title?
Do you know what authority he has, or doesn't have?

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
it was the first thing that came to my mind, a logical explanation for your grudge against nokia, finland etc.
You assumed - reminds me of the Simpsons gag...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-09-16 at 08:23.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Do you know what authority he has, or doesn't have?
I don't but there are strong pieces of evidence floating around.

but you can keep this thread, this is getting more annoying second by second.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Finns shouldn't be given preferential treatment, that would be classed as positive discrimination (which is illegal in many European countries).
and your racism throughout your post against finnish people is also illegal in most european countries.
apparantly you claim that a finnish pioneering company in the mobile phone business cant produce anything good as long as its still run by finns. you also claim that among the 5 million people living in finland theres not one single person suitable to take command of Nokia, and you inciniate that finnish people cant design neither, although they may speak both finnish and english fluently, unlike a foreigner who also have far less experience with nokia.

your rant just looks like racism ideas with stupidity brought from the stoneage - so stop playing modern age and start playing with your stonetoys instead

EDIT: oh, ok... you were just kidding around... for a moment i thought you were serious with those posts

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-09-16 at 08:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Strong design, unique design, innovative design - of both hardware and software - is what will get Nokia through it's current malaise.
On this one I agree. And it needs to be integrated design, not hardware, software and services seen as separate entities.

The new N8 style language is quite good, though I sort of miss the inspired art deco line of six years ago...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
actuallly i also agree that things have been moving slowly the latest years.
i still remember fondly when nokia introduced exchangable cover plates with different designs about 10 years ago. its a pity that idea didnt live on... sure iphone owners can do it as well today but its sad we cant do it anymore with our nokias.

nokia was also first with letting the user install custom ringtones and some other multimedia features

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That mantra is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy...
What mantra is that? Can you repeat it for me?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Okey. This conversation had ended on my side. Have fun! I will not post any lists or history about Finnish design. I just say that if you have any architect friends just please have some conversation with them and ask about Finnish design :| And that World design capital nomination is not something that goes easily to just someone.
Oh God. I can just imagine that conversation:
Dan: "Hey, Mike! Say, I wanted to ask you about Finnish designs and architecture!"
Mike: "Yeah?"
Dan: "So, what can you tell me about it?"
Mike: "Nothing."
Dan: "Okay, thanks for answering!"

I mean, really, unless you live or have a particular interest in Finland, you're probably unlikely to hear much about it when it's placed beside other worldly designs from Asians to American to other European designs. At least, from my American-centric point of view, I've seen far more Asian designs successfully winning sales and awards than anything from Finland. It's mean but it's funny to imagine that conversation, but I suspect that it's because it's just true. Feel free to educate me on that.

Yes, so it's a shame Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia, isn't it? (Look it up, it's a common misconception that Finland is part of Scandinavia - it's not).
Aren't Finland and Scandanavia just part of Europe anyway? You know, like that American guy that Nokia just hired on as the new CEO.

Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
and your racism throughout your post against finnish people is also illegal in most european countries.
Racism? Ha! Questioning the design credentials of a nation is hardly racism (and I might add, some less emotional members of the forum confirmed my opinion to be incorrect as there are some very good Finnish designers out there, they're just not working in senior management design roles for Nokia, instead non-design oriented Finns are!)

apparantly you claim that a finnish pioneering company in the mobile phone business cant produce anything good as long as its still run by finns. you also claim that among the 5 million people living in finland theres not one single person suitable to take command of Nokia, and you inciniate that finnish people cant design neither, although they may speak both finnish and english fluently, unlike a foreigner who also have far less experience with nokia.
That's pretty much the opinion of many financial market and mobile sector analysts too, and also that of the executive board which is why they replaced a Finn with a non-Finn for the first time in the companies history.

Nokia needs fresh blood - it's not to say that Finns can't manage per se, just that Nokia needs a new non-Finnish perspective at the top.

Nokia is a global organisation - the brightest and the best should be hired wherever they hail from. Having a preference to hire from the local Finnish population will lead to reduced quality of staff and ultimately leadership - if the local Finns are the best people for the job then sure, hire them, but if not hire from elsewhere.

EDIT: oh, ok... you were just kidding around... for a moment i thought you were serious with those posts
To some extent, yes - but once the Finns and Swedes began to bite so early it was too easy to keep it going...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-09-16 at 19:18.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What mantra is that? Can you repeat it for me?

Dan: "Hey, Mike! Say, I wanted to ask you about Finnish designs and architecture!"

I mean, really, unless you live or have a particular interest in Finland, you're probably unlikely to hear much about it when it's placed beside other worldly designs from Asians to American to other European designs. At least, from my American-centric point of view, I've seen far more Asian designs successfully winning sales and awards than anything from Finland. It's mean but it's funny to imagine that conversation, but I suspect that it's because it's just true. Feel free to educate me on that.

Aren't Finland and Scandanavia just part of Europe anyway? You know, like that American guy that Nokia just hired on as the new CEO.
Helsinki is a well-known architectural/design mecca along with Barcelona, Milan, et al.

The buildings there, new and old, are stunning.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-09-16 at 19:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

You are amazing! Letīs just say that try it on some architect! Ask him&her.

TIP
Most of architect students FIRST study history and what kind of different influences & styles have been. THEN they start to make their own stuff. At least here in Finland and AFAIK in many European countries. You seems to completely ignore past and history. It doesnīt matter what is happening right now when we are speaking about design in general. And past design affects to design of what is beign done currently. Sometimes there happens to be some trend setters (At least one big name from Finland). Iīm sorry but how much you generally give yourself time to think stuff? Try to extend that time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: