Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@danramos,
General consensus? Can i plug in to that consensus also?

Impression?
- I just talked with my n+1 friends and read couple of blogs. Yippee-ki-yay motherlover! Now I will write some heavy stuff to my blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's just the very thing about the article--whether you agree or not, the main point is still that Nokia has a perception problem. I've never used Symbian, myself, but the impression I get from various exposure to people who have is a generally negative one that makes it sound/feel retro and outdated. I can't say that I think that--it's just the impression I'm getting from the general consensus, right or wrong. Nokia would do well to fix that perception.
The more times you repeat a lie, the more people will start believing it. Mob rule and so on.

Many people on this forum seem to enjoy parroting the Engadget/Gizmodo anti-Nokia line instead of challenging it. Symbian and MeeGo's destinies are intertwined and if you want MeeGo/Maemo to have a future, you better start liking and supporting Symbian or move on.

Remember: There are no longer separate Symbian and MeeGo developers, they are all Qt developers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@danramos,
General consensus? Can i plug in to that consensus also?

Impression?
- I just talked with my n+1 friends and read couple of blogs. Yippee-ki-yay motherlover! Now I will write some heavy stuff to my blog.
Since it seems you need things spelled out for you...
The general consensus that I referred to, as the context clearly points out, are the people that I've interacted with on the whole. To rephrase the point I'd made: This is the impression I'm left with, without ever having even used Symbian, but by the general consensus of people I've communicated with and been around.

Is that clear enough for you?

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
It is too divorced from the leading pack.
In what way?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise you already owned an N8 (Symbian^3) and a future Symbian^4 device and verified that Symbian is still outdated.

P.S. If you want my opinion Symbian was never outdated. Bad choice in hardware and bad touch UI (which was improved greatly with updates) made people think it's outdated. The core was always being improved.
My last symbian was a hacked hyper x i8910. It was ok. Much better than the stock anyway but many users would not have experienced this. But still too many inferiority issues to put up with.

Symbian v3 looks like same .... Different day.

I don't really get the symbian bashing either

OK, symbian1 did have a bad touch interface and somewhat dated graphics, but it looks like that will be better with the new symbian3 UI + capacitive touch amoled screens. Sure, Symbian is not really gonna satisfy your bling lust, but it is a workhorse. I am happier for it to be around than for it to die.

here are some things I like about symbian(as supplied by nokia at least) that you don't really get with the other OSs on market:

deeply integrated voip stack included for free, even with g729 codec
included office viewing and editing
included webdav client
included caldav(symbian3)
included pdf viewer
included voice nav
battery sipping
browser has flash(yes, it is lite, but it works most places where you would need it)
lower cpu/mem necessary(don't we celebrate that in the linux world?)
included syncml for not just pim, but also other stuff
very good addressbook, especially being able to having the note attached to a contact appear when they call.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
too many inferiority issues to put up with.
Such as ??

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Detroit, MI
I am asking you one more time: when will those Droid fanboys stop analyzing Nokia, get together, reach critical mass and explode in the nuclear chain reaction?

First of all:
kill development on Symbian and make something new.
Bad Analyst, No cookie! QT is the answer to this question. QT!

Second, they need to pull a Droid.
Sigh.

The Following User Says Thank You to arcticrobot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
I am asking you one more time: when will those Droid fanboys stop analyzing Nokia, get together, reach critical mass and explode in the nuclear chain reaction?

First of all:
kill development on Symbian and make something new.
Bad Analyst, No cookie! QT is the answer to this question. QT!

Second, they need to pull a Droid.
Sigh.
As someone that owns a Droid and partake regularly of that Kool-Aid, even I was a little boggled by the first part you quoted. I assume this article's writer hadn't been aware of Maemo and MeeGo efforts at Nokia. On the latter, well, I would argue that he's right--Nokia DOES need to pull themselves back out of their nosedive (that is, Nokia still had altitude but they're facing nose-down in the trends in recent years). Motorola was SHARPLY declining and managed to pull back up by sheer necessity and managed to do it with the Droid. Nokia needs to pull off a similar stunt to remain relevant in the future. Especially with these trends: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369229,00.asp

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
In what way?
To start with:

Poor touch implementation
Cumbersome menu that relies on folder upon hidden subfolder
Poor program memory management
Terrible Ovistore that is impossible to search and overpriced

Anything that is based on Symbian can only be evolutionary not revolutionary so it will always be behind.