Active Topics

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Nokia 8100 - a beautiful phone, I still miss it

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Asturias, Spain
Still I think the N900 passed it (marginally).
Indeed they have a big thing in common. They really aren't very good phones. But they are excellent devices.
+1

And I admit that I prefer QD than original N-Gage only for design.

Offcourse N900.

I had mitsbushi Trium, Nokia 7610 supernova, few lg CDMA phones..and then came HTC touch ..

I was happy with HTC touch...but N900 changed that view..it is the best so far I had.

Although some problems I face..like slow GPS, unmet dependencies..but otherwise everything is great..touchwood..!!!

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
If you're asking 'Favorite smartphone' it's N900 hands down, nothing else I've had or tried comes close. I'll be using it 'til it breaks.

If you're asking 'Favorite phone' it's still pretty easy. In 13-14 years of carrying GSM phones I only used one more than a year or two - an original silver Moto RAZR. Small, light, fairly good battery life, good reception and dead reliable for over 3 years of heavy use. Underrated, now disrespected unit that deserved to sell millions, which it did.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
propably the n900, but i still miss my old samsung jet.
its not particularly better than the n900, but it had a great panorama-function that i really loved. i wish i didnt sell it.
the quickpanorama-program for n900 is really really poor.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ South-Africa
Originally Posted by deimian86 View Post

Nice pad, Game Gear, Game Boy and NES emulators, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, Pandemonium, Pathway To Glory...........

A phone ahead of its time.
I have to agree with you there!!
I can still remember i went to Europe for a holiday and saw the QD for 99 euro's and i just had to get it!

I was one of the firsts to have it, but when the N95 was released i did some research and waited for the 8GB when that was released in my country i got it right away!

So my best phone is the N900 but following in second place has to be the N95-8GB and closely behind that is the N-GAGE QD in third place!

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm
Sony Ericsson P1i had it all!

Nokia E61

I was IM'ing, ssh-ing, reading e-mails downloading podcasts and watching movies before many knew what a heck an iphone is. BTW all that with multitasking.

Of course some things were awkward and slow, but it worked and it had stellar battery life. And the battery was the same with the n800 I still use.

The e71 I now use is just a speed upgrade (and smaller case with smaller screen which I don't necessarily like)
Attached Images

My first phone obsession was the Motorola A780. It was Linux, it was my first experience in flashing and tweaking. But it didn't have wifi :-(

When my Dell Axim went on life support, I bought a T-Mo Shadow. (HTC Juno). While I loved the A780, I used the Shadow's 2 MP camera, wifi for reading rss feeds and checking email while my husband was in the hospital and in general read ebooks, listened to music and watched videos. I especially liked the 20 key condensed qwerty slider keyboard.

The Shadow was small and sleek but I started snapping more pics and wanted a better camera. It was about that time that I saw the barcode app on the G1 and that was my next phone.

But the G1 was like the N900, obsolete, more or less, not long after its release. Most new sleek Androids were keyboardless and I missed real keys to dial with, so I dumped the Android for a used Nokia N79.

The N79 is my main phone and I'm back to PDA territory with the N900. It's just too freaking big to use as a phone. But it keeps my OCD, tweaking, Linux-y self happy. It's interesting that I waffled for months between the N86 and the N900. Most days I wonder if I did the right thing...

I just found out that Motorola is releasing a new Android Ming this year. That should be interesting. :-)

Terry

p.s. All phones were purchased used on eBay, with the exception of the A780 and the N900.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
SE P910i

having stepped up from the P800, the phone was the duck's guts for me.
Had loads of features and could easily get 5-6 days on a single charge (anyone remember phones that could do that?)

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post: