Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
What is "SSU"?
Seemless Software Update

Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
No' fapman is not a requirement. But if you want to see *ALL* packages, do this (wont help your problem though):
Tap Install Applicatons -> tap C -> scroll all the way down, select All packages (advanced), all not installed packages are now shown, also the packages other packages depend on but which are not supposed to be seen by the user.
You can also filter for all packages, even the ones which are installed: tap the S, select All. Now type bzip2, does it show up as a package with a gray dot as status?
thanks! that worked! any disadvantage to showing all packages? i can handle a little clutter. is there a simple doc file that explains these filter options better? it appears these are just filtering by 'mark' which is metadata to describe the category, etc?

Last edited by jerryfreak; 2010-09-20 at 17:32.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Well I'm no expert on repository management and deb-files, but obviously packages can be marked as viewable or not. I interpret it like that: there are "support packages" which no user needs installed per se but only if another package depends on it, thus the user has no need to even see this package, it just has to be there (as in your case bzip2). The user only needs to see the "real" apps, the stuff he afterwards uses, not all the stuff the app bases and was built upon. There is no point in listing all the codecs separately, it's just fine if the media player is listed and the codecs just "come along" upon installation...

So simply put: only "user packages" or whatever you want to call them get shown. fapman does offer you to show everything, the whole awful lot, tutti quanti. No advantage neither any disadvantage, other than a quadrupled list length and a huge mess for the eye