Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
MeeGo means Linux Foundation much, much more than it means Nokia.
That might mean very little if you depend on a Nokia image for your Nokia device. We'll have to see some tangible results before I buy this story after our history here.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
This was on Finacial Times last week. Here's the actual non-Engadgetifield quote:

"Mr Vanjoki agreed with suggestions that handset makers using Android could have low operating margins and claimed they were likely to enjoy only temporary relief with Google’s operating system. He compared the companies to Finnish boys who “pee in their pants” for warmth during the cold winter."
Hold on. Is this a common thing with kids in Finland? o.O Maybe he's not quite the wordsmith this company needs speaking on its behalf?

I blazed through the comments on the article and I don't get it.... No one is screaming at RIM to ditch BBOS and go Android so why on Earth are they so vocal about Nokia doing it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
I blazed through the comments on the article and I don't get it.... No one is screaming at RIM to ditch BBOS and go Android so why on Earth are they so vocal about Nokia doing it?
Probably because RIM has managed to secure a successful niche?

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Really, so they don't want to allow others to use the OS on their phones, cars, netbooks etc?
Yeap! That's what they are doing.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Hold on. Is this a common thing with kids in Finland? o.O Maybe he's not quite the wordsmith this company needs speaking on its behalf?
It's not common practice among kids (well, few drunkards actually do that when they have "had enough" ),however it's common proverb in Finland. Meaning that you have to have long term solution to problem, not a hasty workaround that is likely to harm you in the long run. It sounds a bit funny when translated to english, especially for people who haven't experienced very VERY cold winters...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I'd have to say no.
Nokia has 2 mobile OSs currently that they at least partially assist in developing. Android is one that others rely on Google to develop. Seems pretty different to me.
It's the potential for choice that matters.
Can you elaborate more on how this makes any difference? The end goal is to create one or more OS for mobile devices. How is a company that adopts Android in any different shape than a company that adopts Symbian or Meego?

It doesn't matter how many parties are used to develop the OS. It is one product they are working for and their aim is to dominate the market with that product, otherwise what's the point of even trying.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You know--like a restaurant franchise lets you concentrate on business and less so on brand, advertising and so on?
Sounds about right: Android is the McDonalds of phone OSes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
Can you elaborate more on how this makes any difference? The end goal is to create one or more OS for mobile devices. How is a company that adopts Android in any different shape than a company that adopts Symbian or Meego?
Because Google has a vested interest in getting their name on your platform, and their services to users via your platform.

Right now all the vendors run a tight gauntlet with Google, balancing pushing them under the covers for the OS that they've delivered, but also keeping them at enough of a profile that they continue to invest and develop the platform. Push them under enough and they'll quit. Let them take over and your identity as a brand is subdued by theirs.

With MeeGo, you attain compliance with a certain software base but the branding is all yours. Contribute to the core OS development, which is coordinated by a singularly focused 3rd party, in the open, with no extended leverage possible by one party, and you end up with something much more useful to the marketing robots who are charged with selling your stuff.

None of the hardware vendors (Samsung, Motorola, Nokia) want to play pure hardware vendor as that's almost a commodity market. They want to play the role of services vendor, which is hard to do when your OS vendor also wants to provide it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Well guess what Mr Vanjoki?

HTC, Samsung and Motorola have already purchased diapers, so...

/sarcasm.

Tags
back it up sam, chair-throwing, change me, nokia's-balmer, show proof, trolling, video stream, we need diapers