Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This article is ridiculous. To say that a single-OS/multi-device strategy doesn't work from a profitability standpoint is to ignore the last two decades of Windows computers, and the respective companies producing them that have come to dominate the industry.
Notice who makes all the money - the vast bulk of profits in the "PC industry" are made by MS. Whilst hardware increases in capability and plummets in price month after month, the cost of DOS/Windows keeps going up with each bug fix release. HP gets a huge chunk of its profits from selling ink, its printers/imaging division accounts for over 40% of its net profit for 2009. That is why Dell has got into the lucrative ink market by selling its own printers. Whilst hardware has long been commoditised and thus offer little to negative profits, MS through its ruthless interoperability (read, lack of) has managed to avoid commoditising Windows and hence makes as much or more profit than the rest of the PC industry combined.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
ok.... now everyone thinks that this is a battle between microsoft and apple in the pc world, and iphone vs android vs symbian in the smartphone world, well it will eventually lead to one thing, full open source is the future of the cyber world .
linux is what will take over the world, not google, not microsoft, and not apple thats for sure, linux will take over the pc world as its growing day by day in the underground, and it will take over the smartphone world with the full open source os maemo/meego .
beleive in open source, its what we do best, and its what will take over the world, long live maemo5/meego .

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Must say it is very refreshing to get such good quality discussions going on in TMO. There has been too much white noise recently and I often forget why I come on this forum so often.

For that - thank you all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Notice who makes all the money - the vast bulk of profits in the "PC industry" are made by MS. Whilst hardware increases in capability and plummets in price month after month, the cost of DOS/Windows keeps going up with each bug fix release. HP gets a huge chunk of its profits from selling ink, its printers/imaging division accounts for over 40% of its net profit for 2009. That is why Dell has got into the lucrative ink market by selling its own printers. Whilst hardware has long been commoditised and thus offer little to negative profits, MS through its ruthless interoperability (read, lack of) has managed to avoid commoditising Windows and hence makes as much or more profit than the rest of the PC industry combined.
Well said.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Whilst hardware has long been commoditised and thus offer little to negative profits
Oh come on, if PC hardware wasn't profitable no one would make it until prices rose significantly above break-even point to make it worthwhile.

Who benefited from commoditisation (ok, apart from MS)? Answer: you and I (as consumers) did, and more so if we don't run Windows.

Does the same answer apply to mobile devices? I suspect not and the main beneficiaries would be the operators, at least as long as most people insist on getting their devices subsidised and getting tied to one 24-month contract after another because they can't add and think it's cheaper that way :-/

Now, on the OS side there's not going to be a MS this time around. Android has already commoditised the market significantly and Nokia is in the process of doing exactly the same with both Symbian and MeeGo.

Why would they do that? Because the money now is in services (app stores, music stores, ads, LBS etc), and in order for them to be successful there they a) need to be on as many devices as possible (even if they didn't make them), and b) can't let anyone else (eg Google or Apple) corner the market.

Android has no place in that business model (unless you're Google of course). What does, for Nokia, is lots and lots of flashy "Ovi devices" of all flavours designed primarily to make you "consume" "content".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Your face has a limited capacity between your ears. :P
Friendly fire! Hold your fire!!

Lol that comment was by Ossi.

He's using the forum for his anger management therapy again.
What a pennypincher.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Now, on the OS side there's not going to be a MS this time around. Android has already commoditised the market significantly and Nokia is in the process of doing exactly the same with both Symbian and MeeGo.
How does the above...

Why would they do that? Because the money now is in services (app stores, music stores, ads, LBS etc), and in order for them to be successful there they a) need to be on as many devices as possible (even if they didn't make them), and b) can't let anyone else (eg Google or Apple) corner the market.

Android has no place in that business model (unless you're Google of course). What does, for Nokia, is lots and lots of flashy "Ovi devices" of all flavours designed primarily to make you "consume" "content".
Coincide with this?

Google does aim for Android to be the "Windows" of the mobile world, as that puts them in a position for providing services equal to MS. MeeGo/Symbian, by virtue of how Nokia is pushing them, cannot. And I suspect that might lead to greater adoption in the end, as OEMs decide to slowly migrate towards providing services of their own instead of only hardware.

The only "flashy Ovi devices" out there will be Nokia's.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Your face has a limited capacity between your ears. :P
you have pretty bad spatial sense or then you think badly deformed heads are normal ones.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

bada will win all

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you have pretty bad spatial sense or then you think badly deformed heads are normal ones.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your sister's armpits!

...wait, are we having a discussion or a ranking contest? Sorry if I got confused, there.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
back it up sam, chair-throwing, change me, nokia's-balmer, show proof, trolling, video stream, we need diapers