Originally Posted by dannycamps View Post
2. There is no Harmatton. That was the code name for Maemo 6 (see point #1 above). There is no MeeGo/Harmatton for the same reason.
There is. MeeGo/Harmattan is a Maemo-based, MeeGo compatible OS that will be on the follow-up device to the N900.

3. There are two builds of MeeGo. An Intel-based build and an ARM-based build. They are the same with regards to functionality. The only difference is the hardware layer (similar to Intel and ARM builds of desktop operation systems).
There are those two, but by no means are you limited to ARM or Intel. You'll have to figure out how to build it yourself, but you could port it elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
1. There will not be a Maemo 6. It has merged into MeeGo.

2. There is no Harmatton. That was the code name for Maemo 6 (see point #1 above). There is no MeeGo/Harmatton for the same reason.
Depends how you define things. It will still be Maemo 6 only rebranded as MeeGo/Harmattan. They continued the development as it was and only given it a different name.
There are differences, like deb/rpm, so it's only MeeGo compatible or instance.

3. There are two builds of MeeGo. An Intel-based build and an ARM-based build. They are the same with regards to functionality. The only difference is the hardware layer (similar to Intel and ARM builds of desktop operation systems).
There will be many different MeeGos. Read more here: http://achipa.blogspot.com/2010/03/d...ich-meego.html
Also there are different UXs (user experiences, the UI and more)

4. The N900 is being used as a reference device for MeeGo. That means that is it not the same as NitDroid / Mer / or whatever. It means that the people who are building MeeGo are using the N900 to ensure proper functionality. All drivers, programs, etc... for MeeGo 1.1 will function on the N900.
It will function. Will it be usable for everyday users? MeeGo build for N900 will contain drivers, but I'm not certain about other proprietary software: flash, skype... and probably other things that manufacturers will put on their MeeGo version.

5. Not officially supported by Nokia does NOT mean it will not work. It means at the very least, it will not be available from Nokia's website for download and that it may also be missing the 'hands' animation and Nokia logo. There may also be some Nokia-specific items like themes that will not be included.
And won't be many more things. Ovi maps, Ovi store and probably anything in it that is proprietary like games that you buy.

There is rumored that the community will create a hacker-edition of MeeGo-Harmattan... only time will tell what will be of it.
Also some will try to bring flash, skype and other applications from MeeGo-Hatmattan to plain MeeGo. We'll se.

The point is, there won't be an update through air, like many updated to Maemo 1.1 and 1.2. You'll need to reflash and here comes the question how many N900 owners know and do re-flash their devices.
Another question will be if Nokia will uphold the guaranty on the devices, because it's not officially supported.
Hope this clears some of the confusion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
am gona be simple talking this in a very very simple way
Meego Apps will work on N900 Nokia did say on the 1.2 am rite ?;p
Meego 1.1 will beon n900 by a month from now i think
so thats it lol and if it's out then means it will get upgraded! like any other OS
look a this programmer made nitdroid from scratch for the n900 and still doing it
so i think if the hardest part making meego on n900 willl be done then the program tho who ever want to do it
can do it easier ?;p

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I think if this topic and its many replies serves one thing - it's to show just how little everyone actually knows about the future of the N900 / Maemo / MeeGo.

These are the facts as I understand them:

1. There will not be a Maemo 6. It has merged into MeeGo.

4. The N900 is being used as a reference device for MeeGo. That means that is it not the same as NitDroid / Mer / or whatever. It means that the people who are building MeeGo are using the N900 to ensure proper functionality. All drivers, programs, etc... for MeeGo 1.1 will function on the N900.

5. Not officially supported by Nokia does NOT mean it will not work. It means at the very least, it will not be available from Nokia's website for download and that it may also be missing the 'hands' animation and Nokia logo. There may also be some Nokia-specific items like themes that will not be included.

The same thing applies to Android. There are a ton of tablets and phones on the market that run Android but they run the stock unofficial build.

Finally - and the most important - the N900 and Maemo 5 function perfectly for what I need. With all due respect to the developers hard at work for NITdroid (and they are extraordinary) and even MeeGo, I could care less if they ever ran on my phone. I knew what the N900 was before I purchased it. Living in the U.S., I also know the (lack of) support Nokia phones receive so I never expected another OS.

-DJ
You are wrong about your 1,2 and 3. If Nokia didn't change direction again the plan was to "release" harmattan but not as Maemo 6. It will not be Meego either.. in the matter of packaging. Harmattan will still build on debian (apt) and Meego will build on RPM. So Harmattan will probably come and it will be more finished than fremantle (maemo5). It could come as PR1.4 too.. some of the things that was though of in Harmattan will come in PR1.3.

Meego will not come as an OTA but will be installable through flashing. There where talks about a ability to dual boot too.

But there are a lot of rumours too so very hard to have any facts. No one knows exactly what will happen. The only thing we know is that they are working on it.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums