Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
Name one phone that has 12mp camera, Xenon flash, 720p recording, HDMI, USB-OTG, Digital dolby plus, Bluetooth 3.0, Wifi n and one of the most powerful GPU around with all the usual Nokia goodies packed in a anodized aluminium body only for 370 euros? Name one?
All are great features... but let's be honest. 640x360 screen almost kills the pluses it has.

And that won't change until the next OS iteration. After being at 800x480, I refuse to step down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
All are great features... but let's be honest. 640x360 screen almost kills the pluses it has.

And that won't change until the next OS iteration. After being at 800x480, I refuse to step down.
I honestly think the N8 will sell like hotcakes, people in Europe/Asia are crazy about taking photos. If the quality of the sample photos can be achieved through "normal" conditions then no other phone is even close.

If you don't care about the camera, there are much much better options out there. We can trust nokia to cripple the N9 camera/flash so it wont eat sales of the n8.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Did it "kill" other devices, like the iPhone preior to the 4th iPhone?

Buttom line - 'mass market' users (who which the N8 is directed to) doesn't care about the screen resolution that much, as long as the display quality looks decent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Did it "kill" other devices, like the iPhone preior to the 4th iPhone?
Oh, what the **** will it be? Use the iPhone to show how inferior it is when it suits your purposes whilst contrasting to something Nokia offers... or use the iPhone when it supports your purposes?

Either it is a piece of junk like the majority of this forum has pointed out time and time again and it hasn't sold nearly as well as Nokia's offerings... or it's a great seller and has sold damn well despite of Nokia's offerings.

You people tend to straddle either side of that fence when it suits your needs.

Simply put... the iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) resolution was ridiculed here. I personally hated it - it didn't measure up to my N810. I suffered, it sucked, it was passable, I couldn't wait to get back to what I was used to... 800x480. And I jumped to the Samsung Captivate, which has (surprise) 800x480 as its resolution.

As so does the N900, Nexus One, Droid, Droid X and a whole slew of other phones. But to compare a screen of a phone released in 2007 to a phone that's yet to be released in 2010 is downright stupid as hell. And to use the fallback to the oft-ridiculed iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) screen resolution as an argument doesn't make it right. It's an excuse. Symbian^3 shouldn't be limited. And people have to wait for Symbian^4 for a higher resolution phone?

Bollocks.

But I do agree... the N8 will sell like mf'n hotcakes. Priced well, awesome camera/video capabilities, a great set of options, iffy RAM but I'm willing to bet power users won't buy the N8 en masse, they'll be sticking around for the N9.

But to keep going back to the well for the iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) resolution and looking at it as a sign of what sold well and what might still sell well. It ain't 2007 no more.

Buttom line - 'mass market' users (who which the N8 is directed to) doesn't care about the screen resolution that much, as long as the display quality looks decent.
I agree fully. But guess what... I'm here. I'd have to say that only a very small portion of the people here are considered "mass market" types. You guys know too damn much to be considered "mass market" types.

The screen resolution is lacking too much for my likes. I have a limit, I am not stepping below it ever again. I was speaking then and now of myself.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-09-29 at 16:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Oh, what the **** will it be? Use the iPhone to show how inferior it is when it suits your purposes whilst contrasting to something Nokia offers... or use the iPhone when it supports your purposes?

Either it is a piece of junk like the majority of this forum has pointed out time and time again and it hasn't sold nearly as well as Nokia's offerings... or it's a great seller and has sold damn well despite of Nokia's offerings.

You people tend to straddle either side of that fence when it suits your needs.

Simply put... the iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) resolution was ridiculed here. I personally hated it - it didn't measure up to my N810. I suffered, it sucked, it was passable, I couldn't wait to get back to what I was used to... 800x480. And I jumped to the Samsung Captivate, which has (surprise) 800x480 as its resolution.

As so does the N900, Nexus One, Droid, Droid X and a whole slew of other phones. But to compare a screen of a phone released in 2007 to a phone that's yet to be released in 2010 is downright stupid as hell. And to use the fallback to the oft-ridiculed iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) screen resolution as an argument doesn't make it right. It's an excuse. Symbian^3 shouldn't be limited. And people have to wait for Symbian^4 for a higher resolution phone?

Bollocks.

But I do agree... the N8 will sell like mf'n hotcakes. Priced well, awesome camera/video capabilities, a great set of options, iffy RAM but I'm willing to bet power users won't buy the N8 en masse, they'll be sticking around for the N9.

But to keep going back to the well for the iPhone (pre-iPhone 4) resolution and looking at it as a sign of what sold well and what might still sell well. It ain't 2007 no more.
Chill man.
Just mentioned a simple fact - don't over-elaborate or make it a statement as complex as a brain surgery.

I agree fully. But guess what... I'm here. I'd have to say that only a very small portion of the people here are considered "mass market" types. You guys know too damn much to be considered "mass market" types.

The screen resolution is lacking too much for my likes. I have a limit, I am not stepping below it ever again. I was speaking then and now of myself.
Nice.
I don't care. I wasn't talking about either you or me or 95% of the people who are visiting this forum on a regular basis - I was talking about the rest of the people who buy smartphones.
We (and I'm allowing myself to be included in this group) are NOT the average consumer, so please don't judge the N8 from this point of view - the N8 is meant for the same people who buy a mid-high end smartphone, such as the Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 and yes - even the iPhone 3GS.
We are interested in the Ghz-crunching monster phones, the high (if not highest) end phones, which costs almost like a decent laptop, but have almost the same abilities as a laptop - the N8 is not for us (well, maybe it can suite us only as a nice toy to pass a little time with).
We're after the N9 (well, at least as long as we think its got the 'juice' we want ).

The fact is... Symbian^3 at 640x360 is downright anemic. Period.

It's like buying a television now and it can only do 480p. Stupidest decision you can make right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
It's like buying a television now and it can only do 480p. Stupidest decision you can make right now.
yeah, there is a big difference....
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:

"The fact"? excuse me, who decided on this "fact"? The fact is that buying a cell-phone which costs more than 100 EUR is downright stupid. Why would you need a phone which can do more than send SMSs and use send/end?

"Fact is" that everyone can decide for himself what he needs or not needs from his cell-phone, and if the phone looks and feels good even if it have a 128x128 display, who cares?
Same thing goes to the N8 - why would you need a 1680x1050 screen on your phone, if 640x360 is more than enough? What can you do with a 800x480 screen which you by all means cannot do with a 640x360?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Which part of the fact that I've been using 800x480 in the past seems to escape you?

Which part of that fact seems to escape you that I do not like it? Which part of the fact seems to escape you that I've stated over and over that I'm - which, for the English language less savvy denotes that I am unwilling to personally accept anything less?

The fact you're so eager to argue is my own opinion about how I don't have to accept less. Feel free to do so for yourself. I don't have to; nor will I.

And to answer your last question... what can I do at 800x480 that I cannot do at 640x360... see about 160x120 more pixels to start with...

Captain Obvious... out.

Where is the "I"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post: