Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
30 posts and not one of them positive, not a good sign.

I'm personally underwhelmed by it, I've bought both the 770 and N800 on release day and thought I'd do the same for the N810 but this time I'm going to wait to discover if the camera is as unusable (and as unsupported) as that in the N800, if the GPS is as bad as the GPS in the N95 (2+ minutes to get a lock with the original pre-AGPS firmware), if the keyboard is at all usable or there for show, if the official screen cover case (which it needs, again like the N800) appears soon after release or 8+ months like the N800... basically, I'm in no rush and don't see the N810 as any significant advance. And judging by the release photos the software looks like the same old same old, no great UI advances either.

An N800 with a GPS in a slightly modified case with a keyboard slapped on it's arse is not going to win Nokia a boat load of new customers.

A poor and uninspired effort to be honest, every iteration is a step down from the 770.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-10-17 at 12:35.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Okay if we put that down on a table and open the sliding keyboard how is it going to balance??
If the key board is meant to be use while typing with the n810 in the hand how the hell are you going to reach the middle row?? I cant even reach the middle row of the fulll screen keyboard using my thumbs..... it looks extremely disappointing.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Initial response. Not impressed.

The D Pad is in the wrong place, I use it all the time, e.g. UKMP relies on it for navigation. So having to pull out the keyboard to access it is WTF.

The camera should swivel, including all the way round to the back. 2 Cameras one facing back would mitigate but still no swivel. Why does Nokia insist on discarding good ideas and substituting dumb ones?

Good that GPS is included but, like web browsing, this will soon become de facto anyway.

Stying is personal, it looks unispired to me.

Will we lose the second sd slot to make room for the gps receiver?

Will I buy it? No!

OK, now it is announced, so where is the new software?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Sachin007 - geometric looks can be deceiving - perhaps its bottom heavy? Agree with you though - looks like cumbersome to use the keybd while the stand is out.

What happens the stand when the kayboard is pulled out?? seriously... i dont know??

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I love the new design. I just hope it balances well when held with two hands to thumbtype on it
It'll give a good boost for user entry speed and convenience for the most popular applications on the NIT platform, namely:
- Web
- Email
- IM

The keyboard is obviously designed for handheld thumbtyping, not for typing while it's resting on a table. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do such thing, or pick the thing up and use it as it was designed to be used.

I implore everyone to give more thoughts on their comments before posting it here. Think of what the feature may originally be intended to do, or what kind of user that feature is designed for, before blatantly shooting everything down.

Constructive criticism is good, and it certainly doesn't come from ignorance or lack of understanding.

I like the looks. I think it looks better than the N800. I don't know about the keyboard. But I can imagine typing on it. When I have money next year I'll buy it.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
At first I thought the speaker placement was OK, but then I thought about how I hold the N800 while listening to music and working on it. My left index finger is usually wrapped around the top left corner - on the N810 I would muffle one speaker! Crazy feature placement indeed!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I love the new design. I just hope it balances well when held with two hands to thumbtype on it
It'll give a good boost for user entry speed and convenience for the most popular applications on the NIT platform, namely:
- Web
- Email
- IM

The keyboard is obviously designed for handheld thumbtyping, not for typing while it's resting on a table. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do such thing, or pick the thing up and use it as it was designed to be used.

I implore everyone to give more thoughts on their comments before posting it here. Think of what the feature may originally be intended to do, or what kind of user that feature is designed for, before blatantly shooting everything down.

Constructive criticism is good, and it certainly doesn't come from ignorance or lack of understanding.
If you are holding the device both your hands how the hell are you going to access the letters tgb yhn on the keyboard. You really have to have acromegalic fingers to reach them. Just take out your full screen keyboard and try to access the middle row with your thumb and see how painful it is...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Look at how thick it is, it’s got to be about as thick as the hump on the N800 which is at the limits of pocketability.

The overall design is workmanlike - uninspired but functional, the sort of design cues that might appeal to businesses which is precisely the market least likely to purchase the N810 (why isn’t this monstrosity called the E810?)

If Apple can pack a full ARM computer with WiFi, Bluetooth and fully functioning video processing hardware into a slim, lightweight and above all attractive package, why the hell can’t Nokia? It looks as though Nokia gave the design brief to a graduate intern instead of a talented designer, and have completely disregarded any feedback from REAL tablet owners in favour of complete boll0x from focus groups.

Time to start checking out from this project… it’s headed in the wrong direction and the driver ain’t listening.