Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Just read, intel is working on to port ios apps to arm based processors.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/10...to-atom-power/

Last edited by alienhead; 2010-10-06 at 19:23.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Andover, Mn, USA
Actually they are working on porting to x86 (atom) processors to run under Meego... So as wmarone asked please fix your title ... and your text .... better yet rewrite it....

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Sorry about that, i dont know why i felt i read ARM processor.

Because it does involve ARM. They're trying to make something similar to Rosetta that allows ARM apps to run without being recompiled on x86. This has nothing in particular to do with iOS, and likely won't help due to the effort required to port away from it.

This article is simply bad journalism written by someone who holds at best a pale understanding of what they're writing about.

I get it know.

Guys, read the source article. It says they are working on making a tool to help PORT iOS apps, not "emulate".

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't know wtf exactly Intel is up to leaking that bit of info, but I bet Jobs is having a fit right now over it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
Guys, read the source article. It says they are working on making a tool to help PORT iOS apps, not "emulate".
Correct.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/0...os_conversion/

Much better description of what Intel is after. And Qt shares a lot in common (MVC) with Cocoa, so porting will probably not be quite so painful once the OS specific stuff is abstracted out.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't know wtf exactly Intel is up to leaking that bit of info
It was actually publicly commented a couple of times by Intel VPs in sessions and slides at the IDF few weeks ago.

, but I bet Jobs is having a fit right now over it.
No ysss, please don't let yourself get carried away by sensationalism. Your comments are usually based on higher standards.

This is about a tool for developer to port *their own* iOS apps to Qt, taking as much advantage as possible of the common C++ base underneath. If you get about 50% of the code automatically ported then that is all the work you have already saved. No magic button.

Even if Intel is funding this project in the MeeGo & AppUp context, technically it is not tied to the AppUp or Intel/Atom, but to Qt.

There is actually a company or team developing this in... Brazil? Can't recall the details now. afaik it was just briefly mentioned here and there and at the time no media seemed to pick this up.

Sounds like an interesting project, specially if you set your expectations at realistic developer level.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
No ysss, please don't let yourself get carried away by sensationalism. Your comments are usually based on higher standards.
Oops, I wish I had read the reg piece before that misleading one

(But I still think SJ is having a fit over something right about now )
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!