Active Topics

Hello

Well yes i know a couple of users do face this error " Internet connection failed. Unable to retrieve IP address from server" while trying to manually connecting to a particular WiFi network .

It only happens to me when i try to connect on some networks , that is from my University , Dads office and my Home network , I can connect on my friends networks without problems . I can connect on all these networks fine on my N95

My Network config :

1) Hidden SSID
2) WPA 2 encrypted
3) Authentication mode : PSK
4) 802.11.B/G , ( on all 3 networks )
5) Router in Office : Linksys , University : US Robotics , Home : Linksys

Here are the list of things i've tried :

1) Rebooted Phone and router ( did this first )
2) Checked if MAC filtering is off and IP White list and black listing is off ( both were off )
3) DHCP is Enabled on all 3 routers
4) I tried using AES-CCPM encryption protocol as suggested by someone in IRC (still no luck )
5) My Phones WiFi settings is not on Power Saver mode

I've discussed this problem on the IRC ( #maemo) but had no luck , i tried everything what the staff had suggested . I wonder if this is a bug .

I found only one solution : I have to manually create a profile of AP on my phone with the WPA key and i have to input manually the IP address and Primary & secondary DNS .

But i don't know why this can't be configured automatically by the N900 to detect the IP . I don't know if there is something blocking the DHCP server of the routers from revealing the IP to the N900 , but then it connects fine on N95 .

Please do tell me if you guys have found any solution to this .

BUMP !

Any solution to this issue guys ?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Short of being able to run wireshark or tcpdump somewhere convenient, it's largely a guessing game - probably the encryption type isn't what you think it is.

On my N900 I don't think I've ever successfully connected automatically with WPA encryption - as you say, not wanting to get an IP lease unless I set it up manually, but I have absolutely no trouble at all with WPA2

My suggestion, double check the encryption type.

In the case of the university, it's hard to say what magic they have happening behind the scenes. Might be some overzealous admin playing with the dhcpd.conf file every morning, or it might just be the same issue - WPA rather than WPA2

There is definitely a problem with WPA and the N900, though I don't come across those networks so often that they pose any great problem - just an inconvenience.

I had also trouble to connecting to some open networks but finally I figured out with the help of my friend that the problem was with WPS. It was impossible to connect to router when routers WPS was set enabled.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by jaanusa View Post
I had also trouble to connecting to some open networks but finally I figured out with the help of my friend that the problem was with WPS. It was impossible to connect to router when routers WPS was set enabled.
You are describing a bit of a different problem that does indeed have two solutions. The first is to follow through with the regular old WPS solution - push the button on the router and away you go, the second is to set the connection up manually through the network settings area.

The only problem WPS poses is that it does not present a simple method on the N900 to ignore WPS and just enter a passphrase instead.

Okay thank you for the reply , i couldn't reply back earlier as i was off for a few days .

Well i've tried to change the encryption from WPA to WPA2 and vice versa , i've also tried to OFF encryption and still it shows up the same error , and i'm very much sure the University's WiFi is well accessible on other devices .

I've Been browsing By setting everything manually for now , i don't know if this problem may be patched later on , Well i've also turned of SSID , as per someones suggestion on the IRC cause it was depreciated or something due to Security issues .

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
have you tried switching n900s wlan power saving off?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
have you tried switching n900s wlan power saving off?
Yes i have told it in my first post " 5) My Phones WiFi settings is not on Power Saver mode "

BUMP no solution still ?

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
what about a reflash?