Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
I think price is too high for almost same device as n800.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
I have a 770 and I've also been waiting for the next tablet. I don't think the N810 would do it for me, since I already have a BT GPS, it runs ok on all sites to which I need immediate and mobile access to (email, Google), and Canola for media playing does it for me. The hardware keyboard is a nice addition, but the lack of screen cover is a major turnoff - I dropped my 770 on pavement quite a few times, and aside from scratched and damaged cover (which it only makes it look cooler, IMHO), the tablet is quite healthy, thanks to the cover.
I only hope we're gonna see a IT2008 release for 770 (even a stable hacker version)

I like Nokia is giving its customers a choice and the N800 sounds more suited to my needs. I use Skype all the time and will use the camera. I have a GPS unit so no need to duplicate that. (Although Garman has fantastic maps)

And, kudos to Nokia for matching operating systems in the two models. I will use the N800 expanded memory slot because I'll keep my tunes on a card. I have never wanted it to replace my laptop, but would prefer to check an N800 on a flight or take it out for errands to be able to check my e-mail for my business.

I am going to have to hold it in my hands and play with one for a while before I consider buying. Here is some of the good and bad:

Good:

-An OS release that will bring IT OS closer to desktop Linux parity. This will hopefully make for easier porting of applications. Commitment to maintain OS parity on N800 for at least several revisions. Thinking in terms of "platforms" and not products is good.

-Somewhat smaller, making it more easily pocketed

-Supposedly a brighter, transflective screen, although I have yet to hear this direct from someone who can speak with authority.

-Ambient light sensor might help more intelligently use battery by auto-dimming screen in darker environments. I hope this functionality is directly exposed so that I can overide it.

-Faster processor

-More formats listed for media support (although I will believe it when I see it)

-Integral GPS is nice, although the GPS on my N95 absolutely sucks, so a lot depends on the quality of implementation.

-They got rid of the pop-out camera in favor of one mounted on the screen bezel. Remains to be seen if the quality is as atrociously bad as the one on the N800 though.

-Keyboard will be nice for quick replies to emails, im's, etc. For serious typing, I would still carry a bluetooth keyboard. Keyboard appears to be backlit.

Bad:

-The new OS breaks compatibility with OS 2007 in a way that will require that basically all existing 3rd party apps will have to be rewritten. If they were going to force this break, I wish they would have given me a real window manager and let me use almost any Linux app without major modification to support the joke that is HILDON.

-Moving the D-PAD onto the slide out keyboard is a BAD BAD idea. On the N800 and 770 the D-pad and all other buttons were within easy reach of your left hand's thumb and index finger. This made it possible to access most device and software functionality one handed. Now, some of the primary device control keys are on the screen and some are on the slider. This NIT is a two handed device. Not only that, but as a two handed device, the positioning of these keys is rather poor. I hope you all have very flexible fingers.

-VERY high price at launch, much much higher than the n800 while only delivering two major feature upgrades. Keeping the device at a lower price point makes it much more attractive to many people and a lot of people will look at the price and say "if I am spending this much already, I might as well spend a little more and get a MID or an ultra mobile pc of some sort.

-Previous Nokia GPS solutions have been atrociously bad performing compared to even garden variety $30 bluetooth GPS units that are scarcely bigger than a box of matches these days. While the unit comes with GPS mapping software, it sounds like certain route guidance and POI features will cost extra. Nothing worse than getting nickeled and dimed especially when cheap alternatives exist.

-N800 had two SDHC storage card slots allowing for a staggering amount of storage in a portable device. The N810 has only one and it is a smaller type, meaning it is no longer useful for viewing photos from cameras. A lot of N800 users have invested significant $ in storage cards and to have to make further card purchased and not be able to get as large a card capacity is a real kick in the teeth.

-2 GB of internal flash ram is nice, but is no substitute for a swapable card. Flash is also know to go bad from time to time, which makes this unattractive. I am also willing to bet that the flash is not formatted with a linux FS, but rather FAT, making it useless for program storage.

-Nokia has moved the speaker from the user facing front to side emitting. I bet the perceived volume will have gone down significantly and it will be easy to cover the speakers with your fingers while holding it. I think Nokia has placed too much emphasis on making the device smaller by moving things off the screen bezel and has significantly compromised device usability in doing so. I would have much rather seen a slider of similar size to the N800 with the D-PAD and speakers left in place, which would have also provided more space on the sliding keyboard for larger keys. The keys are extremely chiclet sized and don't appear to be convex. I hope those emails you have to write are short.

-N810 uses a micro-usb plug instead of the much more common mini-usb. Still no ability to charge the battery via USB or hostmode USB support for use of USB keyboards and low power flash drives. Gee, another cable to carry around. Thanks Nokia!

-N810 lacks a hard cover case, which was also one of the major, widespread complaints about the N800 compared to the N770. I know 770 users for whom this was a deal-breaker in upgrading to the N800. The N800 also had a lousy slip case and the long promised flip over screen protector took a long time to appear and then never really showed up at market. If I am going to spend $500 on a device, I want to know that it isn't going to get broken in my pocket after a week or have the screen scratched by my keys.

-While they have increased the processor speed to 400mhz, from the sound of it, the N810 is internally almost exactly the same beast as the N800. This likely means that the video sub-system issues that lead to inferior video playback performance are likely still present. The 770 actually had a faster video sub-system than it's sucessor, the N800, despite having a slower processor.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
No. I'm happy with my 770, I love the hard cover and USB host mode with power injector cable. And I already have a BT GPS unit.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
1. Looks. Don't knock it till you tried it, didn't your mama ever teach you that?
2. Incredible if you've actually bought 2 SD cards for your N800. I would venture to say that a large majority of N800 owners are either using the one that came with it, or have purchased AT MOST one card. Upping it to 2GB built-in out of the box will be a big upgrade for most Tablet users
3. The 770 debuted at $379 (or something around there), and the N800 debuted at $399. The N810 is $479, but also comes with the car mount in the box, a first for the tablet series. Perhaps it's ~$20 too high, but it's not outrageous, considering the line's history.
4. It's a touchscreen.
5. Do you really use the camera?
1. This thread is full of the opinions of people who haven't held one yet, and I did say I'm looking forward to trying it at the store.
2. For how much money some people spent on SDHC cards, it is really extremely lame that the new device cannot use them. At least with 770 and N800 we could move our RS-MMC cards between both devices. Now, while N800 can take all cards, 770 and N810 can't share at all. Not to mention all the cameras people already own SD cards for...
3. Have you seen the Eee PC? I think it is going to debut at under $300 still.
4. The 770 has a hard cover. Apple's crappy handhelds have glass screens with without a raised lip at the edge. The N810's screen looks as fragile as the N800's.
5. Not much, which is all the more reason why it is nice to not have it out all the time.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I think it's a nice device, but worthy of a slightly lower price ($379 maybe). The fact that my N95-3 already has GPS capabilities, and I'm really not interested in a hardware keyboard on a mobile device like this just pushes it further away from what I'd want than even the N800.

I'll get a bit more use out of my 770 for now, and will surely enjoy the N95-3 features that are missing from the 770 and N800. And with the recent S60 Touch announcement, I'm wondering where Nokia is headed with this "five step plan"...
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Lol.. Nokia's biggest mistake so far seems to have to put that hard cover on the 770. It spoiled everyone and now they keep on *****ing about it not being there anymore. ;P

Btw, I am not an expert, but how many touchscreen devices out there DO have a hard cover shipped with them?

I will buy the N810, unless I decide to wait for the WiMax model which is supposedly to be announced by/before next summer (that was again repeated by Nokia in a Finnish magazine interview).

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Viipottaja - did you ever own a 770?

The hard cover was a great idea, there may not be many touchscreen devices out there with a hard cover (the iPAQ HX4700 had one, and it was a horrible nasty plastic affair) but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea when implemented correctly, which was certainly the case with the 770 (the maget automatically enabling sleep mode? A stroke of genius!)

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Brazil
If the N800 gets overclocked to 400MHz with the new OS, I'll be getting it, no doubt about it.

If not, I'll probably not get anything, at least not for now with this huge price.