What exactly does the Ovi account do? I enable Skype, Google Talk, and Ovi but I just realized I never really used Ovi and I have no idea what it is for, can anyone share? Should I just disable it?

Thanks.

Ovi also offers IM and email, so it is like a google alternate (albeit a barely used one)..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nos4A2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I have binded a msn gateway to my ovi account so it is my msn chat that eats less battery than msn plugin.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I have binded a msn gateway to my ovi account so it is my msn chat that eats less battery than msn plugin.
Sounds very interesting and wonderful. How do you do that? And can I also do the same for my yahoo account (simultaneously)? Having msn, yahoo and gtalk on at same time really kills my battery. Would be great if I could cut down to just gtalk and ovi.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
The Ovi account in chat is just another jabber chat network account. No need to have it active if you don't have any friends there.
But you do need a Ovi account for the Ovi store or other services on the Ovi site, like the music store.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
What exactly does the Ovi account do? I enable Skype, Google Talk, and Ovi but I just realized I never really used Ovi and I have no idea what it is for, can anyone share?:
If you're talking about the Ovi Chat account (which I assume from the context): It's a Jabber/XMPP account. You can, for example, log in with your Ovi account and contact people on Google Talk, because both use XMPP protocol. Your contacts don't need to be on Ovi, too.

I switched to Ovi after Google started dis- and re-connecting once every 15-30minutes... very annoying because it played the disconnect/connect sound each time.... So I stick with Ovi and use it to contact those who are on Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Sounds very interesting and wonderful. How do you do that? And can I also do the same for my yahoo account (simultaneously)? Having msn, yahoo and gtalk on at same time really kills my battery. Would be great if I could cut down to just gtalk and ovi.
http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/icha...hrough-jabber/

there are some instructions. just don't create a new jabber account but use your ovi chat account with these instructions:
http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...-client-on-pc/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: