Unfortunately I experienced the same probs. The N900 is getting really hot from time to time. It wasn´t like this before the update

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Never felt any heat from it, no matter what firmware.

Do you overclock it?

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Merseyside
Mine was absolutely boiling today. Its never done that before.

My battery had drained as well in just a couple of hours. I booted it and charged it and although it wasn't hot anymore it was really acting up. Rebooted it again and its been fine since.

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
i believe there's still a media bug where the n900 is stuck trying to build thumbnails. to check if that's the problem, just check for a process called "bridge_work-que". if you don't have any other way to do it, you can open up an xterm and run 'top' to look for it.

i haven't dug into a lot, but if/when i run into the issue, i usually just reboot to get over it. it doesn't happen often since i found it, but then again, i don't watch video much either since i found out about it.
I am having battery problems since i transfered some movies and pics,i run conky and it shows"bridge_work-que " using 80percent of cpu,sometimes 96,how to solve this problem?
thanks

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Look into this bug 10412 - https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10412

It seems that hildon-desktop now may go crazy and polls some file descriptors instead of wait some input.

Please vote for this bug 10412 for faster resolution.

It's happening the same to me. I've found (using top on X Terminal) that browserd proccess is taking as much as 97% of CPU usage. That explains the hot temperature.
If I open a browser page the CPU use decreases to 4-5%. Then if I close the browser the CPU is up again.

yes since PR 1.2 upgrade my phone gets really heated and I did not experience this at all before the update.

But since after update it always tries to connect to my wifi...and my internet connection requires further login by entering user name and password. So just by connecting to the wifi its not actually connected to the net unless I enter username and password. So for that reason since it only connected to wifi... it keeps trying to connect to skype and gtalk constantly and thus heats up the phone.

However, when I disable the wifi it doesn't heats up and battery remains longer than a day.

I was thinking may be I overclock the phone in the range of 125Mhz - 850Mhz... it should resolve the problem cuz when idle I expect it to stay at 125Mhz while when in use the speed should vary.

I just had left my N900 on my desk for about two hours. When I came back this little computer was hot like hell and the battery was empty. Fortunately I´ve got a second fully charged battery so I could boot the system. It seems to work just fine now. But what the f... had happened during the last two hours?

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by treofant View Post
But what the f... had happened during the last two hours?
some of the first possible reasons i can think of:

1.) u have installed the "Recaller" and accidently hit its button on the N900 desktop... then it starts recording system sounds (or phone calls)... it can get hot if its run 2 hours straight...

2.) u made a phone call and forgot to hang up...

3.) u accidently opened the camera lid, and the camera app was still running in the background...

4.) a webbrowser was left open with cpu intensive "flash content"...

5.) the phone lost GSM/UMTS coverage and activelly tried to trace a new cell tower...

6.) u left some other software running in the background thats cpu/gpu intensive... (or maybe u accidently tapped the screen and started a application right before u used the "screen lock" function.

7.) or... if its none of the above - maybe its just simply a bug in Maemo5 that for some reason hogged the system.

good luck with the investigation

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
btw folks... could it be that the N900 is sensitive to dust / dirt / sweat?

im also experiencing a hotter N900 nowadays... i got the N900 just a few days before PR1.2 was released, and i did NOT experience any additional heat after installing PR1.2...

however - a few months after installing PR1.2 i started to notice that the N900 started to get hotter and hotter during intensive use...
now ive had the N900 for 6 months and its getting remarkably more hot during 3D gaming, than it did when it was brand new...

i think the reason is the same as with desktop- / laptop computers... dust and condensed moisture / fat / sweat / dirt...

...unfortunatly its difficult to clean the N900 ...as usual with cellphones, all chips inside the N900 are covered with metal housing plates (probably shields humans from electronic radiation), but maybe its enough to clean the surroundings