Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
you might ask yourself today as you saw the glorious news about the meego update "why would anyone thumphs down" well i am one of the two people who did and here is why

i am a realist and n900 a device for the tesk savvy should mess around with the device and yet no multiboot option for meego?cmon nokia

you are just making it hard for us and making us hate your more over the past years with the n97 atrocitie
yes we will find a way to multiboot

maybe you didn't understand the announcement, just like people can't understand your grammar

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to m0da For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
Originally Posted by m0da View Post
maybe you didn't understand the announcement, just like people can't understand your grammar
lol

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
Originally Posted by m0da View Post
thanks for making a paradox state for yourself and defining yourself as the f00l.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by bayernhan View Post
thanks for making a paradox state for yourself and defining yourself as the f00l.
Do you realize that you are not helping your own case?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
erm... You know what... You just said the opposite. Nokia is gonna make n900 have dualboot just wait a little more.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What proof is there that Nokia will make the dual boot available to anybody other than developers?

I think that's the concern (I'm seriously guessing here)... so far, each MeeGo build has been a developer build, it's just now starting to make phone calls - which I find utterly useless for a main phone, but not useless for a secondary phone that's used more as an internet tablet.

I'm a person that actually uses a phone. My N900 is packaged up until I go overseas; and even then I'm starting to have second thoughts about it as a primary phone whilst overseas since it'll be in the same state - in regards to MeeGo - but it's totally fine as it stands today with Maemo 5 and PR1.2.

However, I must admit that I've not seen any definitive statements from Nokia other than they will not make dual boot available to customers - it's in that ever-growing thread about PR1.3 - but it didn't exclude developers... nor tinkerers nor this community. I fear that the usability might render it useless as a phone while in MeeGo though until all of those features, phone and other communicative stacks are in place.

If I've missed some announcement, feel free to point it out to me. Thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What proof is there that Nokia will make the dual boot available to anybody other than developers?
Because they can't selectively lock people out? Seriously, they'll make a handful of changes in the official kernel that 90% of people completely don't notice but will support and make life for those who wish to work with MeeGo as it is now much easier.

I think that's the concern (I'm seriously guessing here)... so far, each MeeGo build has been a developer build, it's just now starting to make phone calls - which I find utterly useless for a main phone, but not useless for a secondary phone that's used more as an internet tablet.
That's because these builds are developer builds. Hell there's no GUI to configure data connections and no power management in place yet. They're slated for the 1.2 release. And even then, it's still a developer build. Unless you're looking to mess around with MeeGo Handset, there's no real reason to boot it.

But you can, if you choose. The "concern" you cite is at best unfounded.

I'm a person that actually uses a phone. My N900 is packaged up until I go overseas; and even then I'm starting to have second thoughts about it as a primary phone whilst overseas since it'll be in the same state - in regards to MeeGo - but it's totally fine as it stands today with Maemo 5 and PR1.2.
So stick with Maemo5 and PR1.2. People have explicitly stated that the average user should not use MeeGo except maybe to see where things are going, at least until 1.2. The brave can always try weeklies (which is what this is for) and see things progress.

However, I must admit that I've not seen any definitive statements from Nokia other than they will not make dual boot available to customers - it's in that ever-growing thread about PR1.3 - but it didn't exclude developers... nor tinkerers nor this community.
Err, they're not going to go and make some special, super secret release only for a select, small audience.

I fear that the usability might render it useless as a phone while in MeeGo though until all of those features, phone and other communicative stacks are in place.
Right, but what are you getting on about? It's not being pushed as a usable environment now.

If I've missed some announcement, feel free to point it out to me. Thanks in advance.
What are you so worried about? Maybe I missed the point of this thread, certainly the title is confusing...

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
ok then i'm asking you too... How would nokia know if you are a developer or not? IMHO nokia would implement the dual boot or should i say the kernexec and leave it that way. They just said that cause for 1 they don't want and plan to answer queries on nokia forum about asking how to step by step and also hearing complaints like 'omg nokia releasing a crappy dualboot option which made my n900 into an atomic bomb where after i installed meego the phone explodes and the doctor amputated my whole body.' so with that queries nokia could just say 'hey we did warn you its just for developers its not our fault you indulged yourself into that without knowing a thing'.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Because they can't selectively lock people out? Seriously, they'll make a handful of changes in the official kernel that 90% of people completely don't notice but will support and make life for those who wish to work with MeeGo as it is now much easier.
Erm... not what the **** I meant. Let's go into this using simple verbiage since you overlooked that I was trying to understand what the OP stated and not inject my own concerns - which were not of any importance until you misquoted the living hell out of me.

Now... my interpretation of why the OP "thumbed down" some other thread was mainly because the developer builds thus far are not fully integrated with all of the pieces and thus a multi-boot - which might not be implemented fully will also be efficiently implemented into any build lesser than a consumer build.

This is what I'm thinking he's trying to state. And I don't mind being 100% wrong... simply because I am guessing due to his words and sentence structure. Simply put, I'm trying to make sense of what the OP said, hoped that people would answer, not attack or get some rather stupid ideas and just answer out of ... whatever.

That's because these builds are developer builds. Hell there's no GUI to configure data connections and no power management in place yet. They're slated for the 1.2 release. And even then, it's still a developer build. Unless you're looking to mess around with MeeGo Handset, there's no real reason to boot it.
When will there ever be a "consumer build" then? As it stands, once you boot into MeeGo, it's just a framework with some halfway (if at all) functioning apps that really do nothing other than show the forthcoming functionality that "might exist" on your MeeGo standard-for-developing device.

Dunno. I bought the N900 to make calls. Not look pretty with an unusable OS. I have Haiku for that.

But you can, if you choose. The "concern" you cite is at best unfounded.
Twasn't my concern, the OP's... or at least an attempt to grasp what he was trying to verbalize at least. Apparently that's also a failure... meh.

So stick with Maemo5 and PR1.2. People have explicitly stated that the average user should not use MeeGo except maybe to see where things are going, at least until 1.2. The brave can always try weeklies (which is what this is for) and see things progress.
No ****. I'm under the impression that once anybody starts talking about dual-booting though, we're no longer talking about merely Maemo 5 with PR1.2. So let's start this again...

Will Nokia ever release a consumer friendly and stable version of dual booting for anybody other than the brave, stupid or downright adventurous?

I think that's why the OP thumbed down anything. From that standpoint alone - if I were to adopt that as a stance - I would too. Try looking at it from that perspective for a bit.

Err, they're not going to go and make some special, super secret release only for a select, small audience.
Never said that. I think we can look at it as either: developer release or consumer release. Please don't add anything else to it... God kills a puppy and a kitten when you add more to that.

Right, but what are you getting on about? It's not being pushed as a usable environment now
Never said that either. Hell, I'm amazed that it's finally making phone calls that people can actually hear now. ****... that's progress SON!

What are you so worried about? Maybe I missed the point of this thread, certainly the title is confusing...
I ain't worried about jack. I'm trying honestly to figure out what the hoopla was from the OP, tried to make sense of it, got caught up in yet another thread trying to figure out what's new with Maemo 5/Nokia N900/MeeGo after not really paying attention to this forum for a couple of days, and instead of getting answers to any ****ing questions I might have; I'm answering and defending and explaining more than anything else.

Simple words... I was trying to catch up, help out the OP... and instead, have allowed you to get a ton of "Thank You's" from people that will side with vacuous statements that affirm not a goddamn thing.

Answers to my questions will never come. Nor will a consumer friendly dual-boot it seems... meh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
learn english, rage thread, while in the us, why even try?