Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I don't agree with this. I think Nokia's software engineers are as good as anyone else. Maemo was a sandbox. Name another company in 2006/2007 that was putting Linux on a phone sized devices (770) - it was ground breaking. The misstep was Nokia should have accelerated the program. Instead it stayed in the sandbox. The N800 was a great devices which now mirrors some of the larger phones that are out now, but did it 2 years ago (screen size, resolution). Then they blundered again when there was no follow-up to the N810 prior to the N900.

My only hope is Nokia is on the edge with the N9 versus matching the competition.
They didn't release a Linux phone until less than a year ago. A Symbian3 phone (Nokias Symbian) came out a couple of weeks ago. Their previous phones have all been the old Symbian and S40, but S40 is not a smartphone OS. Nokia has never been into OS until now.

The N800 is nothing more than a small PC.

When you look at the purchasing of Symbian and Trolltech (Qt), all this is really obvious. Nokia did not have what it takes to make a OS. With the experience from Meamo and the UI-excellence at Trolltech and the low level OS expertice at Symbian, Nokia is now finally going places. I really don't think this could have been speeded up at all, they are going as fast as it gets without stumbeling too much, but they could have started earlier. They should have figured out what was happening, but then again, neither did Palm or Microsoft before it was too late.

Nokia got it all now. Skilled people, experienced people, full control of two OS'es and the best UX around anywhere (Qt based). Nokia had none of this only a year ago.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I don't have any idea who wrote that article, and I've read only the first part of it - but it is utter crap..
First - who's this guy who wrote this? how do you know he's not making this up?
One thing which caught my eye, is that the writer of the article is clearly an intelligently-challenged man:

If, for instance, the owner of a Nokia E51 (launched in 2007) wanted to change the ringtone on his phone, he would have to wade through five or six layers and screens of menu to perform this relatively rudimentary task.
UH REALLY? odd stuff, I tell ya - as I write these lines, I hold a Nokia N85 in front of me - which has almost the exact operation system version the E51 has. Lets make a simple test and try to set a new ringtone on my phone, shall we?
I open the music player (one button click), browse to the song I want to set as a ringtone, press 'options' and then scroll down to 'set as ringtone' and select it - and there ya go.
Damn... if those were "five or six layers and screens of menu", this is just f*cking amazing because either Nokia knows how to conceal "five or six layers and screens", OR that poor guy just doesn't know how to use his E51! I bet he's a part of Steve's mindless flock, and I just guess that by all the 'subtle' Apple-references throughout the 'article'...

So here's a trial for you - lets try and set an MP3 as a ringtone on an iPhone: First, lets go to the gallery, then pick a song to set as a ringtone, and then just stop because ITS IMPOSSIBLE! shocking...

Uh and the N97 sucked. I'll give him that - but lets not forget about the 5800 and the E71 (and its successor - the E72) which were sold a bit prior to the N97, and were sold by the MILLIONS.
I'd say that if a device (such as the E71 or the 5800XM) is getting snagged off the shelves like it was a hot and fresh cake, its doing quite fine - don't you think?

I think, IMHO, that this article is a pure pile of rubbish... And if it's writer can't get a hold of some simple facts, I think it doesn't deserve any attention, but thats just me...

Last edited by efekt; 2010-10-19 at 23:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
Okay, the article was a good read - could have been reduced to 2 pages instead of 4 by leaving out the apple pie, glass angels and creme brulee nonsense, but never mind...

My first ever Nokia phone was a 7110 back in 2001. I upgraded to a 6310, then a 6310i, followed by a 6600, a 6680, an N93, an N95-8GB and finally to my current N900, which I still love, despite its little quirks. I bought my eldest daughter a 5200 when she started senior school and my wife a 5800 when my old 6680 that she was using on pay as you go finally got to the point where the screen was too scratched to be readable. It's therefore fair to lump me firmly into the 'Nokia fanboi' category.

My experience as a Nokia customer has been largely good, but tarnished by a number of things, to which I can give some specific examples that have affected me:

1. Poorly thought out hardware design. The 6600 mini-joystick thing was always going to end in tears, being made of a fairly brittle plastic. It doesn't take an engineering genius to see that this could have been replaced by something made in milled aluminium at maybe 1 or 2 euros extra cost to the consumer, in exchange for much greater reliability. The N93 came with a lens cover that clipped on for the first few months but after that fell off immediately you tried to put it back in place. The N95-8G dropped the lens cover that was on the original N95 for no good reason. When the N97 re-introduced it, Nokia spent a fortune trying to rebutt customers claims of poor design leading to lens scratches before finally giving in and replacing them under warranty. And don't even try to get me going on phones which have the charging port at the top and the headphone jack at the bottom...

2. Virtually non-existent software QA. The video editor which was built in to the N93 was so poor that it even crashed on the demo clips that Nokia included on the phone. The 'muvee' feature which was supposed to take a bunch of multimedia files and turn them into a modern day masterpiece would usually fall over when it tried to open the 2nd file.

3. Inexplicable changes in firmware functionality. The 6680 and the N93 call log would show you not only the name of the contact you had called, but also a little icon indicating whether you'd rung the 'home', 'business' or 'mobile' number for that contact. S60 3rd edition changed that from the N95 onwards so that you only had 1 icon for a cellular call which covered all of the above options and a different icon for a VoIP call, a protocol which most mobile telcos banned from their networks, rendering the whole call log pretty much useless and leading to a bunch of 3rd party apps being hurriedly written to provide equivalent functionality.

4. Lack of any kind of 'end user' testing. It took only 24 hours after the release of the N97 before the huge littany of bugs started to be reported, including simple things like UI crashes due to lack of on board memory with more than a couple of apps running. I was so glad that my contract still had 4 months to go and I wasn't able to give in to my impulse to upgrade to the N97.

5. Abandonment in terms of after sales support. The N95-8G is now 3 years old. A software update was released for it earlier this year which will be its last ever by the look of it. No updated OVI navigation is available, so no using my €500 phone in the car for sat nav, although I can do that if I borrow my wifes €300 Nokia 5800. The Wi-Fi stack has a horrendous bug which lets the phone get into a state where it is unable to re-connect to an AP unles you power cycle it (see point 2) and there is apparently no easy way to roll back the update once you've applied it.

My N900 has developed the same USB port problem that others have reported. Considering it's only 9 months old and I'm very paranoid about taking care of my mobile phones, that's pretty poor. It's never been dropped, or exposed to even a drop of rain, I always put it in an empty pocket, where there are no keys or loose change or anything which might sratch it. I'll get it repaired under warranty, although again, the product itself has been abandoned by Nokia and my inner cynic says that it's unlikely that there will ever be a PR1.3 update for it. But I can still play Angry Birds and flip over to an xterm to SSH into a server in our data centre when I'm on call!

I'll never buy an iPhone or anything running Windows mobile - I just can't bring myself to endorse the business practices of either company with my hard earned cash. When my contract is up in March 2011 that leaves either another Nokia, something running Android or something proprietary from one of the smaller manufacturers like LG or Alcatel. Proprietary has never appealed to me. Android seems reasonable, especially with devices like the Desire HD about to hit the shelves, but I'm still not sure if I'll ever be able to write and run a proper Python script on it, although the limited OS access provided at the moment is better than nothing. Which leads me back round the trail to another Nokia. I suspect that the first 2 or 3 Meego devices will be as shot through with bugs as any other Nokia handset released in the past 5 years. Going back to Symbian, as per the N8, the C6-00 and others, would be like throwing away my laptop and going back to a Psion 5mx.

I dunno - I like my Nokias, but maybe it's time I got off the whole "better, faster, shinier" smart phone/internet device/entertainment-in-your-pocket merry go round that we all seem to have blindly jumped on to. After all, I can get a 6680 on fleaBay these days for about €15...

Last edited by PhilE; 2010-10-20 at 00:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilE For This Useful Post:
Their main problem is still making too many phones, and releasing overpriced crap like the N97. The N900 has been a lot better but they already gave up supporting it fully (now you gotta pay another $500-$600 to get an N9 for Meego - don't worry they will only support that for 6 months before releasing another model )

I'm jaded but considering how stubborn some Finnish people are (I'm Finnish) I'm not surprised. Maybe things will change? If not they'll just go bankrupt one day.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmangs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
They didn't release a Linux phone until less than a year ago. A Symbian3 phone (Nokias Symbian) came out a couple of weeks ago. Their previous phones have all been the old Symbian and S40, but S40 is not a smartphone OS. Nokia has never been into OS until now.

The N800 is nothing more than a small PC.

When you look at the purchasing of Symbian and Trolltech (Qt), all this is really obvious. Nokia did not have what it takes to make a OS. With the experience from Meamo and the UI-excellence at Trolltech and the low level OS expertice at Symbian, Nokia is now finally going places. I really don't think this could have been speeded up at all, they are going as fast as it gets without stumbeling too much, but they could have started earlier. They should have figured out what was happening, but then again, neither did Palm or Microsoft before it was too late.

Nokia got it all now. Skilled people, experienced people, full control of two OS'es and the best UX around anywhere (Qt based). Nokia had none of this only a year ago.
The 770, N800, N810 were internet tablets per Nokia, but it would have required little work to make the N810 into a phone. It was as close to being a phone as it could have been, without being one. It was old Nokia afraid of embracing the future.

Most people on this forum would agree if the N810 would have had phone capabilities and a rear facing camera it would have been revolutionary.

I've a feeling that Nokia doesn't support products because its been launched the team is effectively disbanded and pulled onto new products. - Nokia as a company is full (I mean completely choked) of management, and engineers are not as well paid as other companies. The only way to make a name for yourself as an employee is to try and get onto a new upcoming project and make a success of it. If you're lucky it'll sell well - kudos is given and your salary may start to spiral upwards.

This leads to this crazy situation of factions within nokia fighting each other and launching products that I feel should really have been drowned at birth (N96, N97, the multitude of copy S40 products which deliver absolutely jack over other similar products).
Nokia really is a democracy when it needs to be more like Apple - i.e. lead by a top engineer who is absolutely the top dog and who demands perfection. ie. a dictatorship.
I'm not really sure that this new dude Elop is that kinda of guy.. I've seen very little of him.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It seems that nokia changing in some things. fewer models with more destinct features according to Jo Harlow, smartphone manager at Nokia.

in swedish: http://www.mobil.se/articles/Prisvar...-1.375081.html

in swenglish: http://translate.google.se/translate...-1.375081.html

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
It seems that nokia changing in some things. fewer models with more destinct features according to Jo Harlow, smartphone manager at Nokia.

in swedish: http://www.mobil.se/articles/Prisvar...-1.375081.html

in swenglish: http://translate.google.se/translate...-1.375081.html
fewer models was set to stone already over an year ago.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
fewer models was set to stone already over an year ago.
And that stone has melted into lava past few months, as we have seen C5-00, C5-01, C5-03, C6 with S60/C6-01 with S^4 and so forth.

It was a good diet, but the fat came back.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
It's kind of a bummer that Nokia has less UNIX-based phone models than Apple. Or anyone else for that matter. If only they could have been Nokia-as-usual in this respect. Oh well, trendiness sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy fap, heyheyheygoodby