Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Well this is embarassing. Remember how (and I quote the common internet assertion) 'Android is not ready for tablets?' As it turns out, the UI has provisions for many different types of UIs that certainly encompass tablets and these have been available since Android v1.0:

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...ng-layout.html
http://developer.android.com/referen...uteLayout.html

The API reveals that the relative/absolute layout UI object, you can pretty much subdivide and arrange the screen however you want, create floating elements, or non-grid organizations. Further more, you can easily listen to resize events and create/hide/resize views as required (eg. screen orientation change, or smaller devices).

What's more is that it appears as though it's extensible by filling frames with other more canvas-like primitives. For example, a game that shows the graphics in a large right pane, and a chat client in the upper left, and world statistics in the lower left.

This is not only is incredibly flexible, it shows that Android has been 'tablet ready' for quite some time, and has a very robust and simple UI system that can handle a variety of screen-subdividing situations. That developers haven't taken advantage of this is more likely a result of Android being -- until recently -- exclusive to smartphones that have smaller screens and thus fewer subdivision possibilities.

Also, in fairness, the UI APIs seem tilted towards linear lists. Many of the layout elements are for linear lists/grids of objects, which may add to why they're more frequently used. But I must state that it is indeed possible to display segmented UIs easily without UI hacking/edge code.

I think the ignorance surrounding the understanding about Android being 'tablet ready' comes from a long smartphone lineage and lack of examples showing these less-known UI features -- and Engadget. The bottom line is, however, that it will be *very* easy to make apps tablet aware, with only a few lines of XML code in many cases defining new and unique view structures to suite the larger displays.

According to Tweetdroid, it only took 2 developers to port their app to Android. And twidroyd made their app tablet aware in the bargain. Expect more apps to quickly follow this trend.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-11-02 at 15:12. Reason: Corrected error

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Just to follow up, there are many widgets and layout elements available to developers:
http://developer.android.com/referen...e-summary.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
<br />
<br />

This could be done with mobilehotspot. Or joikuspot if you're in the mood for a paid app.
I might try later with wife's Tab to see if it gets the wifi cloud from my N900.

I should work fine I am sure.
I have tried the MobileHotspot (with the custom Kernel - not the paid app) on my N900 and 2 friendfs had tethered their iPhones on my Wifi network and done facetime with tier iPhones with each other. Oh boy you should have seen their faces light up. They couldnt believe that the N900 aloowed then to do facetime on their iPhones when their iPhones didnt allow them (over 3G).

So its a simple Wifi network that is created - so any device with a wifi should be able to jump on on it (theoritically).

One more time:

Here's official documentation on theming the UI. Very nice for more design centric developers that are not satisfied with the stock style (which needs updating). Best of all, it seems to be handled by XML so there's no need to recode a properly structured app to change the UI. Score.

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...ui/themes.html

[QUOTE=Capt'n Corrupt;860859]To add insult to injury, the Galaxy Tab internals cost ~$200!

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-Man...n-Reveals.aspx
http://an.droid-life.com/2010/11/02/...only-cost-205/

The real shocker is the lost cost of the 3G radios (for me anyway). At $20 it should be standard in all devices that have WiFi, or should be made into a modular appendage for WiFi devices. There's no WAY this addition should inflates the price from $300 on average (WiFi only) to $600 on average (Smartphone). Even with a USB interface, a standard network protocol, and a built in antenna system, this could be made to be a small as an insertable SIM for truly unlocked and very flexible devices. Those that don't want 3G now, don't have to pay for it, but it's an option for later, and they're not locked into any one carrier in the event that they decide to switch. Even better it provides the ability to travel without needing a new device.

[QUOTE]

I guess the problem with embedding the 3G radios in ALL devices is that
1) Mfrs cannot use this as a way to price 3G devices higher for better profit margins (obvious).

2) the Carriers will raise hell as they dont want all that competition (as users can now switch carriers easily as it becomes a ubiquitous presence in all devices)

3) Carriers will have to run the gamut of 3G tests to insure that their network security isnt "compromised" (the bogeyman argument that carriers always use to thwart any innovation).

But I guess some day soon this might be broken just as many other walls have slowly been torn down in the world of carrier-mfrs nexus.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
I guess the problem with embedding the 3G radios in ALL devices is that
1) Mfrs cannot use this as a way to price 3G devices higher for better profit margins (obvious).

2) the Carriers will raise hell as they dont want all that competition (as users can now switch carriers easily as it becomes a ubiquitous presence in all devices)

3) Carriers will have to run the gamut of 3G tests to insure that their network security isnt "compromised" (the bogeyman argument that carriers always use to thwart any innovation).

But I guess some day soon this might be broken just as many other walls have slowly been torn down in the world of carrier-mfrs nexus.
I agree.

I think carriers are to most to blame and I wonder if producing radios for frequencies that they own is illegal. There must be some good reason why this isn't happening right now, but the first company to do this will make waves.

I suspect competition is a bad thing for carriers and their high prices. This is likely one of the reasons there has been so much pressure against VoIP services like skype and SIP. These services should be free, but we're easily paying $30/month for them and are locked into telephone providers.

I suspect Samsung has effectively set the pricing for high end android tablets by basically copyng like for like Apple's ipad pricing. When the ipad came out people were all saying it was way too expensive. However, it proved to be a huge success so Apple was somewhat justified in its pricing. Now Samsung decided that the general public accepts that as sensible pricing.

Unless the Tab is a huge commercial failure (which with a huge company like Samsung behind it it is unlikely to be) other manufacturers will just follow the Tab's pricing. Which means we are not going to see any sensibly priced android tablets for a long long time. Of course you will still be able to get affordable tablets from people like archos but I am talking of fully speced tablets from companies like HTC, Sony or Motorola.

Shame.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Here's a video showing multi-pane on Twidroyd!
http://www.theappshow.com/android/?p=1104

It shows it on a mobile phone, but it's surprisingly useful still. If you looked at the JKK mobile review of the Tab, it looks amazing on the Tabs larger display.

Again: Android has been 'tablet ready' since version 1.

By the way I have unlimited data allowance on my N900 with 02. If I get the Tab what is to stop me from sticking my 02 sim into the Tab and continuing to benefit from my unlimited allowance?

Or does the size of the Tab mean it will by nature eat up much more data allowance than the N900 with the result that 02 will say I am not complying with fair usage?

Or would 02 be able to tell automatically that I am using my sim in a full sized internet tablet and say my data allowance does not apply?

Or does the Tab use a different type of data from the N900? For example if I have unlimited blackberry tariff, if I stick the sim in an N900 and use the internet I would be charged for it because the blackberry tariff only applies to blackberries.

If I get the Tab I don't want to have to pay for two data allowances, especially since the data allowed on the Tab tariffs I have seen have been quite low but at high monthly cost.

Of course if I can use my 02 sim in the Tab I would still have to work out a way to easily and conveniently pick up my calls.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I suspect Samsung has effectively set the pricing for high end android tablets by basically copyng like for like Apple's ipad pricing. When the ipad came out people were all saying it was way too expensive. However, it proved to be a huge success so Apple was somewhat justified in its pricing. Now Samsung decided that the general public accepts that as sensible pricing.

Unless the Tab is a huge commercial failure (which with a huge company like Samsung behind it it is unlikely to be) other manufacturers will just follow the Tab's pricing. Which means we are not going to see any sensibly priced android tablets for a long long time. Of course you will still be able to get affordable tablets from people like archos but I am talking of fully speced tablets from companies like HTC, Sony or Motorola.

Shame.
Samsung isn't the only one. If you check the prices of smartphones, they are also sadly overpriced. Nokia seems to be incredibly compeititive on this front, but most higher end smartphones are at least ~$600. Case in point, the iPhone 4 costs ~$800 off carrier. It's not surprising that this device costs what it does, and I suspect that you're right: other devices will follow a similar pricing scheme.

I bet the reason that this device seem much more expensive, is because the price isn't heavily subsidized, and can't effectively be without charging an arm and a leg for data. So there's a higher up front cost, but these devices may work out to be cheaper in the long run especially if you're on a pay as you go package.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy