Active Topics

it may be closed source but the patents by the IBM Almaden researcher is not. the patents detail how the swype algorithm work and would be a good basis for someone to pick up and implement something.

look for patent number 7,251,367 B2, filed Jul 31, 2007 (System and Method for Recognizing Word Patterns Based on a Virtual Keyboard Layout) and 7,453,439 B1, filed Nov 18, 2008 (System and Method for Continuous Stroke Word-Based Text Input).

good luck

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Nokia IS one of Swype's sponsors though, so I expect to see it in MeeGo, but Maemo wise I'd say perish the thought, Nokia wouldn't do that much for us.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
there are several threads on this topic and open tickets on swype website for support. as well there were several small talks of dev in twitter about maemo support, but nothing happened till now, so i would say swype devs don't really care. maybe meego would change the situation

what about maemo team?? i guess they can do something about it>

Originally Posted by !!Nokia N900!! View Post
what about maemo team?? i guess they can do something about it>
How exactly - its closed source. If the swype team don't provide the source or a port its pretty much a dead issue.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Well we have a hardware keyboard so Swype is not that important but its pretty cool in action, if we didnt have it and this stupid vkb without any letters appearing (as in Opera's kb) than we were screwed

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

the vkb is quite useless to me. it has this weird "lag" to it that makes typing fast annoyingly painful.

as an alternative, maybe someone could ask shapewriter inc to do some work for our n900?

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
We don't even have a portrait keyboard and people are hopeful for swype?!

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype...later-than-nev

I have been led to believe that it is currently in the works...

Craig Arnush
Nokia Southwood
Swype Integration Technical Lead

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype-for-symbian

So dying platform is getting this really nice feature and we dont
I think PR 1.2 vkb is just horrible

who should we contact? (council maybe?) to get this thing working on N900
Symbian is not dying, Nokia just dragged it all back in house.

I don't disagree that the virtual keyboard is not terribly good, I really do like swype, keep in mind Nokia didn't make it, historically the company that did (swype inc) only ever sold it to manufacturers and carriers, never to end users.

There are a few old threads kicking around in which people have toyed with the idea of replacing the virtual keyboard, but none have really ever progressed very far on the N900 unfortunately.

Who should you contact? The best place you can get answers from is at the source: info@swypeinc.com

I miss good old HWR. This swype looks to be terribly slow way to input long words.
Swype does work as a bog standard virtual keyboard, you don't have to drag your finger around making lines - I was skeptical at first, but it is pretty damn nice.

Last edited by dchky; 2011-01-11 at 10:15.