Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ India Munbai
I have installed and opened MStardict but it says No dictionary loaded.what to do?

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Search? In the time it took to write your post, you would have found this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44979

Originally Posted by sagaradate View Post
I have installed and opened MStardict but it says No dictionary loaded.what to do?
MStardict or any other dictionary app is like a shell or a house, there is no content in it yet.

You may find many dictionaries on internet for download and they are all zip files. You download those zip files into your computer and then unzip them. Connect your phone to the computer and select "Mass Storage Mode" on your phone. You should find a MStardict folder in the phone memory. Copy the unzipped dictionary folder and paste it in the MStardict folder. After that, open the MStardict app., go to setting and check the dictionary.

TC

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Search? In the time it took to write your post, you would have found this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44979
In the time it took all of us to write our posts, even a moderately computer savvy individual would still not understand. Last time I checked it was considered socially uncool to install an application and then have to consult a forum just to understand how it works.

So... Lets take a look shall we...

Menu -> Download Dictionaries.

Great, you get to visit a website with a long (very long) list of illogically arranged and named files. Pick something that approaches your language of interest and save it to (Where do I save it? It doesn't say?) MyDocs/mstardict as per the link filled with vague instructions that you posted.

Check back in the application, oh, what's this? No dictionary listed. Hmmm. This is where most people would rightfully give up and complain. The savvy user might think "Hmmm, maybe I need to uncompress it?" Lets do that then.

Excellent, tar doesn't understand much of anything - good old busybox.

apt-get install bzip2

bunzip2 <file.tar.bz2>

tar xvf <file.tar>

Back we go to mstardict - great, still no dictionaries. The savvy user would probably be correct to give up at this point and write off mstardict as a useless waste of space.

Hmmm, RTFM is pretty uncool, worse when no help exists. Period.

Back to that thread you posted.

I get to page 5 before it dawns on me that XDXF (the default dictionary download) format does not work and I have to change the pull down menu to stardict. Yay, the one key piece of information missing from pretty much every guide and I have to visit some forum on the net just to dredge it up in the back pages.

So, download again... mstardict has no idea what tar.bz2 is, so it still doesn't work, give up, or savvy user decompress, extract...

Finally the dictionary shows up in the list.

Easy right?

Wrong.

So, thanks for the help, but it wasn't very helpful, it was just a link to a bunch more links and pictures that provide no useful information.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-11-05 at 09:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ China
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
In the time it took all of us to write our posts, even a moderately computer savvy individual would still not understand. Last time I checked it was considered socially uncool to install an application and then have to consult a forum just to understand how it works.

Great, you get to visit a website with a long (very long) list of illogically arranged and named files. Pick something that approaches your language of interest and save it to (Where do I save it? It doesn't say?) MyDocs/mstardict as per the link filled with vague instructions that you posted.

Check back in the application, oh, what's this? No dictionary listed. Hmmm. This is where most people would rightfully give up and complain. The savvy user might think "Hmmm, maybe I need to uncompress it?" Lets do that then.

apt-get install bzip2

bunzip2 <file.tar.bz2>

tar xvf <file.tar>

Back we go to mstardict - great, still no dictionaries. The savvy user would probably be correct to give up at this point and write off mstardict as a useless waste of space.

I get to page 5 before it dawns on me that XDXF (the default dictionary download) format does not work and I have to change the pull down menu to stardict. Yay, the one key piece of information missing from pretty much every guide and I have to visit some forum on the net just to dredge it up in the back pages.

So, download again... mstardict has no idea what tar.bz2 is, so it still doesn't work, give up, or savvy user decompress, extract...

Easy right?

Wrong.

So, thanks for the help, but it wasn't very helpful, it was just a link to a bunch more links and pictures that provide no useful information.
Actually i think `savvy users` go for windows, maybe iphone or android etc. So they pay up for stuff, and don't have to think of technical part of installation process. N900 is clearly a bit nuts to go for, and i knew that, from reading this site mainly, until i bought n900 instead of android.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Also, searching brings up the other thread the OP created on this exact same subject: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65030

Originally Posted by dchky View Post

apt-get install bzip2

bunzip2 <file.tar.bz2>

tar xvf <file.tar>

Easy right?

Wrong.

Right on Bro! It seems these "Smart Dummies" like to gravitate to a post where a individual is in need..., only to say something useless and devoid of what the thread is design for. Kinda reminds me of a wealthy man in a yacht giving a bottle of water to a man in the sea drowning yelling for help because he can't swim! Useless! If you don't have anything productive to say or contribute on this thread..., just don't exist here on it!

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Ok guys really ? Instead of helping you just point him to threads that have dozens of pages or write long rants ?

Here is what you need to do

1. Download the dictionaries from the link that is given in the app, try Google search on your PC
2. When you have desired archives just use WinRar to decompress them into separate folders
3. On N900 there is a MyDocs folder , that's the one that opens when you use file manager. Create a folder named mstardict
5. Copy each folder via mass storage mode to that folder
6. Viola it works

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-11-11 at 06:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Ok guys really ? Instead of helping you just point him to threads that have dozens of pages or write long rants ?

Here is what you need to do

1. Download the dictionaries from the link that is given in the app, try Google search on your PC
2. When you have desired archives just use WinRar to decompress them into separate folders
3. On N900 there is a MyDocs folder , that's the one that opens when you use file manager. Create a folder named mstardict
5. Copy each folder via mass storage mode to that folder
6. Viola it works
And you've forgotten the crucial information that the dictionaries must be in stardict format, not XDXF.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
And you've forgotten the crucial information that the dictionaries must be in stardict format, not XDXF.
Correct sir, just like all the other guides. : )