Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
What is stopping the N900 from having multitouch resistive

Is it the drivers, the screen itself, or the hardware chipset

or a combination of all 3 ?
Two of the above. Drivers are comparatively trivial.

Originally Posted by xtreemneo View Post
when there is less responses... i just feel like the end of N900 times..
More like people know this is a fruitless topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by m0da View Post
Sorry, let me put it in simpler terms.

Multitouch is a different/simpler method of doing the same action (pinch to zoom is faster/simpler than pressing a button x number of times to find the perfect zoom factor).
not really, multitouch means you need both hands free to zoom in and then move the page around because it doesn't keep the focal point. I actually find it somewhat cack handed, and when i see people using it they invariably place it on the table. I prefer rotate to zoom, and it can be done one handed in portrait. Besides, i would always take the multiple benefits of resistive over one possibly more convenient facet of capacitive. Without resistive, our icons would need to be bigger thus losing screen space, using the phone wiith damp fingers or in the drizzle rain wouldn't work and we'd sacrifice mypaint.
Technology history is filled with lesser capable innovations taking the lead, so just because capacitive is more popular by manufacturers doesn't mean much. And users, well i find most capacitive users had that as their first touchscreen and know nothing of actually using a resistive. I doubt many would care if resistive was the indusry standard, and if multitouch was implemented on it not a single soul would care. The same is not true if resistive stopped being used

multi-touch is awesome, for those that say they don't need it or want it, then just shut up. I have an iPod Touch and love the multi-touch on it. Sometimes, i just wish when browsing the web or viewing photos on my N900 could be better with multi-touch, coz i can easily pinch to zoom without using the damn volume up/down button, or having to swirl my finger in a circle on the screen to zoom, which is stupid and doesn't work as well btw.

Personally, I find the fact that you have to zoom means the software is lacking. The page should automatically scale such that -most- of the text is readable. Either that, or 100% default normally.
Generally, with MicroB, I don't have to zoom. Really, the only time I have to zoom is when MicroB won't accept my "right-click"/long touch on a URL.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
If I were to buy a 3.5" Multi-touch capable Resistive screen. Would that work?

Seeing as the display controller only supports resistive, surely that would work. Then its a simple case of :

a) Making sure it has the same connectors

b) Getting drivers for it

Unless for some reason the display controller ONLY supports single touch resistive screens.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I don't get this capacitive hype, seriously.

Why would I want to downgrade this accurate resistive screen to a crappy capacitive one that I can't even use the stylus with?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I don't get this capacitive hype, seriously.

Why would I want to downgrade this accurate resistive screen to a crappy capacitive one that I can't even use the stylus with?
Practically, while holding it in the sideways, specially while gaming,
Two thumbs are free, and its free in the most comfortable position.

And people start complaning about it.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ England
No need to worry guy's, i have found the solution. Simply follow this easy 6 step guide!

1. Buy a Nokia N8
2. Strap the N8 onto the top of your N900, with the bottom of the N8 facing your screen.
3. Install X11VNC on your N900.
4. Install a VNC client on your Nokia N8.
5. Using the VNC client on the Nokia N8, connect to the VNC service running on your N900.
6. Enjoy your N900 with capacitive touchscreen!

Please note, these instructions are untested. While i suggest using a Nokia N8, other devices with capacitive displays may work also, though i suggest sticking with Nokia devices to ensure maximum compatibility.

If anyone tries this out and gets it working, please let me know!

The Following User Says Thank You to JamesU For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
[QUOTE=JamesU;866050]
....4. Install a VNC client on your Nokia N8.
5. Using the VNC client on the Nokia N8, connect to the VNC service running on your N900....

QUOTE]

Network latency would be too high to be usable

[QUOTE=xtreemneo;866122]
Originally Posted by JamesU View Post
....4. Install a VNC client on your Nokia N8.
5. Using the VNC client on the Nokia N8, connect to the VNC service running on your N900....

QUOTE]

Network latency would be too high to be usable
Not if you assigned an ip address to the N900 USB and then connected the devices via usb

Not sure that would work still but it would definitely be faster