Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I did say too lazy or busy - almost everyone has some laziness in them. Of course, there's the fact that I mean laziness very broadly in that context. Not necessarily as a character flaw of not being willing to do work, but also as any not-feeling-like-it that isn't caused by having higher-priority things to do. (Like right now, me browsing talk.maemo.org instead of doing the above learning how to improve the system-wide portrait keyboard, is, by my definition, somewhat lazy.)

And yes, I DO count myself as among those two lazy to learn how to code. Yes, there are times when I am also too busy, but a good enough chunk of it is laziness.

Frankly, I don't get how "better things to do, no skills to do it, or no time for it" is much different from "too lazy or too busy, or [in the case of those who can develop stuff like this] have better things to do". By all means, please explain to me how the hell "no time to do it" isn't similar enough to "too busy", or how "better things to do" isn't exactly the same as, well, "have better things to do?

The only remotely valid claim is against your interpretation of me using the word "lazy", but in context, and given the way I elaborated on my definition of lazy as I meant it above, "too lazy [to learn how to do it]" and "no skills to do it" are similar enough. Yes, your way of wording it is better, I'll admit. But I think that if you have no skills to do it, and actually want it to happen, you're either too busy/distracted/whatever because of other things that are higher priority to you (hence the "too busy" part) or aren't motivated or interested in acquiring that skill, even though you have the ability and time to (which, in context, fits under "too lazy" in my eyes).

So congrats. You took one word out of context due to whatever associations you felt like taking offence to there, failed to realize that I was more than happy to put myself in that category, and then basically stated what I said in different words.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
this is no go. The kb is so tightly integrated to opera that there is no point even trying to separate the kb from other code.
This statement came from guys who compiled opera in the first place.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I did say too lazy or busy - almost everyone has some laziness in them. Of course, there's the fact that I mean laziness very broadly in that context. Not necessarily as a character flaw of not being willing to do work, but also as any not-feeling-like-it that isn't caused by having higher-priority things to do. (Like right now, me browsing talk.maemo.org instead of doing the above learning how to improve the system-wide portrait keyboard, is, by my definition, somewhat lazy.)

And yes, I DO count myself as among those two lazy to learn how to code. Yes, there are times when I am also too busy, but a good enough chunk of it is laziness.

Frankly, I don't get how "better things to do, no skills to do it, or no time for it" is much different from "too lazy or too busy, or [in the case of those who can develop stuff like this] have better things to do". By all means, please explain to me how the hell "no time to do it" isn't similar enough to "too busy", or how "better things to do" isn't exactly the same as, well, "have better things to do?

The only remotely valid claim is against your interpretation of me using the word "lazy", but in context, and given the way I elaborated on my definition of lazy as I meant it above, "too lazy [to learn how to do it]" and "no skills to do it" are similar enough. Yes, your way of wording it is better, I'll admit. But I think that if you have no skills to do it, and actually want it to happen, you're either too busy/distracted/whatever because of other things that are higher priority to you (hence the "too busy" part) or aren't motivated or interested in acquiring that skill, even though you have the ability and time to (which, in context, fits under "too lazy" in my eyes).

So congrats. You took one word out of context due to whatever associations you felt like taking offence to there, failed to realize that I was more than happy to put myself in that category, and then basically stated what I said in different words.
Even am too lazy to read this completely.. i think the feeling is what you are talking about..

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
this is no go. The kb is so tightly integrated to opera that there is no point even trying to separate the kb from other code.
This statement came from guys who compiled opera in the first place.
Ho, i just didn't know that.. Just googled up..

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
how about the nitdroid portrait keyboard? is it closed source too?
or is there a way to recycle some code from the landscape onscreen qwerty?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
how about the nitdroid portrait keyboard? is it closed source too?
or is there a way to recycle some code from the landscape onscreen qwerty?
you really should use powersearch. if something doesn't exist in active topics, it doesn't mean that it wont exist at all....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I'd just like to see system wide portrait keyboard picked up again, i think if the VertSMS or FastSMS picked it up to continue development it would be win-win. The base stuff all seems to be in place, and IMO system-wide is much, much better. What's the point of a portrait browser if you have to revert to landscape to enter a web address?

Like Mentalist Traceur, I would be more than happy to donate towards it.