I used to have a smart phone from Verizon and its news reader would download the articles in all of the selected forums so I could read the articles while I was offline/out of range. That was very convenient, and on the N800 it seems it is vital. Since I often have no WIFI, I can't read the news...

I've done some digging on this and the only thing I can find is a program that used to run on Windows 2000 that people used to download articles, and then they processed them through htmltotext and copied to the N800. Since I'm a Linux user on all systems, this was not a useful approach.

So, is there no News Getter program for the N800? Why not?

pj

If by news you mean web pages and not usenet, search this forum for "daily pluck", although it's a commandline script, so it's not an easy-to-use solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
If by news you mean web pages and not usenet, search this forum for "daily pluck", although it's a commandline script, so it's not an easy-to-use solution.
hm. interesting. Found it and can run. if i just rurn DailyPluck it gets the html articles. i dont really want them squished into a book

But several shortcomings

1. does not mark articles as downloaded. It gets same over and over

2. Not linked to news reader program, ccant see gow many articles await

3. Tough to save pieces for reference. I read for research and need easier way to save.