Evening everyone. I'm running the latest official firmware 1.1 on my N900 and I've been having an issue with bluetooth pretty much since getting it, but I subjectively think it is getting worse.

When talking on the phone with my N900, I use a BlueAnt Q1 wireless headset. Its a really nice (sadly, expensive) model that I bought back when I used my iPhone after my iPhone Bluetooth Headset got quieter and quieter until it was unusable. I kept my Q1 with me of course, as it is one of the best bluetooth earbuds I've had the pleasure of using and planned to do so onto my N900 as well.

The problem is the incoming audio is simply not very clear. I have the volume (on the N900 itself) all the way up and its loud enough, but it sometimes sounds garbled or just plain difficult to understand the other person which results in lots of "Huh?"s. In comparison, using the built-in phone speaker the audio is MUCH clearer and easier to understand. Outgoing audio isn't quite as bad for whatever reason, but I still don't sound as clear as I do when just talking on the phone itself. Some times people think I'm sounding "robotic" or otherwise hard to understand when the phone is on the same side of my body, only 1.5-2 feet from the headset.

I've read on the forums that others are having similar problems and I'm trying to find a solution? I've considered buying another Bluetooth headset to make sure it isn't my Q1 "going bad", as it seems all these Bluetooth offerings seem to do eventually, but reading the forums a little it seems that this is a significant problem. Is there a software fix? Will the next major firmware have any updates to the Bluetooth stack? I have the bluetooth "tools" installed from the standard repos. Is there some benefit to switching the mode - the Q1 can do A2DP for instance? Anyone else with this headset that has an opinion? Something else I should try or look into?

I talk on my N900 quite a bit and its really going to be a problem if Bluetooth audio quality is in the ground. Nokia usually has a really good rep for audio and signal strength. Thanks!

Last edited by Ellipsys; 2010-05-21 at 07:04.

Originally Posted by Ellipsys View Post
Evening everyone. I'm running the latest official firmware 1.1 on my N900 and I've been having an issue with bluetooth pretty much since getting it, but I subjectively think it is getting worse.

When talking on the phone with my N900, I use a BlueAnt Q1 wireless headset. Its a really nice (sadly, expensive) model that I bought back when I used my iPhone after my iPhone Bluetooth Headset got quieter and quieter until it was unusable. I kept my Q1 with me of course, as it is one of the best bluetooth earbuds I've had the pleasure of using and planned to do so onto my N900 as well.

The problem is the incoming audio is simply not very clear. I have the volume (on the N900 itself) all the way up and its loud enough, but it sometimes sounds garbled or just plain difficult to understand the other person which results in lots of "Huh?"s. In comparison, using the built-in phone speaker the audio is MUCH clearer and easier to understand. Outgoing audio isn't quite as bad for whatever reason, but I still don't sound as clear as I do when just talking on the phone itself. Some times people think I'm sounding "robotic" or otherwise hard to understand when the phone is on the same side of my body, only 1.5-2 feet from the headset.

I've read on the forums that others are having similar problems and I'm trying to find a solution? I've considered buying another Bluetooth headset to make sure it isn't my Q1 "going bad", as it seems all these Bluetooth offerings seem to do eventually, but reading the forums a little it seems that this is a significant problem. Is there a software fix? Will the next major firmware have any updates to the Bluetooth stack? I have the bluetooth "tools" installed from the standard repos. Is there some benefit to switching the mode - the Q1 can do A2DP for instance? Anyone else with this headset that has an opinion? Something else I should try or look into?

I talk on my N900 quite a bit and its really going to be a problem if Bluetooth audio quality is in the ground. Nokia usually has a really good rep for audio and signal strength. Thanks!

i just bought a Q1 and i have the same problem.. i have a n80 nokia.... plz did you find a way out of this? is that a problem of nokia phones?